Poll: SF Bay Area Gathering (when and where?)

Geocachers from around the Bay are planning to get toghether for a picnic/BBQ in a park. It will be a chance for us to match faces with logs and forum posts, as well as to sign the GeoQuilt.

Cache page for this event

This poll is basically closed and we have decided to have the picnic in Shadow Cliffs Regional Park in Pleasanton on Saturday, June 22. If you still feel like voting, however, feel free. Who knows, the results may influence the time and place of the next planned event. icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Team Dralasites on June 14, 2002 at 03:29 AM.]

Hi ya'll Pepper here I voted Berkley/Pleasanton on Saturday. Pleasanton at Shadow Cliffs preferably. Of course I will go where ever is voted on. Hope to see you all there, should be lots of fun. email me if you need any kink of help at all I have alot of free time. (Housewife/Geocacher)

Horizontals where it's at!

I'm pretty flexible as well.

I picked Berkeley on Sunday because my kid has ice skating on Saturday morning.

Her mom can take her so Saturday would in reality work fine for me.

I'm open to a commute as well. (What can I say, I'm high maintenance)

I knew I'd been in Berkeley too long when I saw "Free Firewood" and I wondered who this Firewood fellow was and what he had done.

quote:
Originally posted by CourtneyP:

Hmm. Not a big response so far. 8 people? C'mon, let's rally the troops!

Yeah, I was hoping there would be more interest. We have 20 blocks of the GeoQuilt for people to sign. Unfortunately, I think a lot of geocachers in the Bay Area don't read the forums.

I'll go ahead and submit a request for an event cache. Once it gets approved, the event will start showing up on people's new cache lists.

Hey there,

I haven't been geocaching in the last few months but I wouldn't mind getting together for a little get together thingy. There will be beer present, RIGHT!!! I'll get in touch with Hiflier, Chuguy, Chugirl, and the rest of the zanies to inform them of this thread.

By the way, I voted Berkeley/Pleasonton Saturday.

Cheers,

Rockman - Bill

quote:
Originally posted by Rockman:

I'll get in touch with Hiflier, Chuguy, Chugirl, and the rest of the zanies to inform them of this thread.

Rockman, thanks for helping us spread the word!

quote:
There will be beer present, RIGHT!!!

This comment reminded me of something else we need to discuss-- is this going to be a potluck (i.e., bring food to share with others) or should everyone just provide for their own group?

If any of you have organized events like this before, which method do you think works better?

Gee, you guys are certainly night owls! A lot of discussion has gone on since I went to sleep. icon_wink.gif

Anyways, I was thinking a potluck as well... it makes things easier on all of us, and we get to try a little something from everyone's kitchen.

I'll see what I can do about the lumpia. icon_biggrin.gif

I hereby agree that Rockman should bring the keg. And hide it as a cache.

Hi all,

Rockman got word to me about the proposed get together this weekend (thanks, Bill).

Pretty sure we can make it either day. We'll bring the usual barbecue items: beef patties, chicken, buns, etc., if that's ok.

No preference on location, but the East Bay is a lot closer to me than Berkely or the Peninsula.

-Ed

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

If it's in Plesanton, we should probably do it at Shadow Cliffs. I get there pretty early in the morning on Saturdays to swim, so I can grab us a picnic area. I also volunteer to set up a couple of event-specific caches...

That sounds great! Let's give people another day or so to respond to the poll, but it looks like we'll probably be meeting in Pleasanton on Saturday.

Now, it would be good if someone can get us the coordinates to the picnic area at Shadow Cliffs so we can update the cache page.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Dralasites:

Now, it would be good if someone can get us the coordinates to the picnic area at Shadow Cliffs so we can update the cache page.

I haven't gone there personally, but this should get people in the general vicinity:

N 37 40.158 W 121 50.505

I've pulled these numbers from aeiral photos within expertgps. It's the center of what appears to be the picnic area. If somebody could go and double check them soon that would be cool.

-- Mitch

[This message was edited by Pneumatic on June 13, 2002 at 03:56 PM.]

quote:
Originally

I am swimming there tonight so I'll get better numbers.

Does Shadow Cliffs still have those water slides? I haven't been there in 20+ years. Heck, Shadow Cliffs is the place of my first minor in possession of alcohol. Ahhh, I wish I was 13 all over again!

Shadow Cliffs sounds great!

Colleen, you did just great on planning this shindig! icon_biggrin.gif

Shall we do a potluck signup "sheet" for this blessed event?

Rundown:

Salads

Appetizers/Finger Foods/Chips & Dip

Meats: Chicken, Burgers, etc. (plus veggie burgers)

Buns (no comment)

Side Dishes: Corn, Potatoes, etc.

Desserts

Plates & Utensils

Charcoal

Am I missing anything?

Howdy,

Rockman sent me an email regarding this event and forum. Get together sounds great and Shadow Cliffs is a nice location. Soutin' Sam wants to know if he's allowed in this park since there's no mention about dogs on their web site. Let me know if I can be of any help. The 22nd would be best for us and I'll see if I can round up some more of the usual suspects.

Hi ya'll so it looks like a decision has been made, great Shadow Cliffs has five caches placed there for all to enjoy. I live just around the corner and I am fixing to run over there and check on the dog question. I will get exact cords while i'm there. Pot luck sounds great, ever had any Texas Bar-B-Que well I must do some for you folks. BRB

Pepper

Ok for all you cacher with dogs i've got good news dogs allowed. Over the levee dogs can do what ever makes them happy. On the developed side dogs on a 6' leash. A Beer & Wine permit is $25.00 and can only consume in the picnic area. there are 5 reservable picnic areas and the North Beach picnic are is supposed to the best. It sounds to me like all the picnic areas are all ready reserved I can call tomorrow and find out. There are plenty of tables and pits if the areas are all reserved. So it looks good and Saturday the 22nd of June seems to be fine with all of ya'll. Should be alot of fun.

Team SuperGenius

Pepper

(note if anything looks wrong - this post is the first test of our Avatar and link-making ability

icon_rolleyes.gif)

Shadow cliffs sounds great; we haven't done much caching to the east of the hills, so all the caches there are new to us (as is the park itself).

Are you considering cache games (the gathering in Sunolin February had a very fun one involving finding envelopes with playing cards, to try to garner the best poker hand)?... I've also heard of people planting a new geocache to commemorate the event (one person brings an ammobox or tupperware; everyone else brings a trinket; then I guess you have a mass search for a hiding place... and a massive averaging of the coordinates...)

Anyway, will now go post a note at the event cache itself. By the way, Team Drasalites, Andy says to mention that he played a Yazirian in his youth. I (Alison) have only a vague idea of what he's talking about. icon_razz.gif

--Alison

I got the coords for a place people can meet. It's a tree near the parking lot.

N 37 40.198

W 121 50.558

Yes, the water slides are still there. I believe they are open on the weekends. There is a sizeable swimming area, and a large grassy area to play in.

There are also 5 caches in the park.

quote:
Scoutin' Sam wants to know if he's allowed in this park since there's no mention about dogs on their web site.

Yes, dogs are allowed. CoffeeDog will be there with us! Dogs have to be on leash in the main picnic area, but in the part of the park where the caches are they are allowed off leash, and there are several nice ponds in which they can swim. Unfortunately, dogs are not allowed in the main lake. icon_frown.gif

Fishing is pretty good, I hear (I don't fish, but I see the fish when I swim), and boat rentals are available, I think.

quote:
Originally posted by CourtneyP: I've been sending email to other geocachers that I think haven't shown up here yet... just clickin' on a few users that have popped up on the logs that I've been looking at and sending a mail from there.

Hope that's legal. icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah, I was thinking about doing that too. I'm not sure if it's considered spam... but I won't do it now that you've done it-- it probably WOULD be spam if we all emailed the same people with the same message. icon_razz.gif

Looks like most people are okay with Saturday at Shadow Cliffs, so I'm going to update the cache page to reflect this.

GPS coordinates: I'll use the latest coordinates sent by fizzymagic, by a tree near the parking lot.

Potluck: I guess I'll try to keep track of who's bringing what on the cache page... too bad they don't have a potluck planning feature like the one for evite.com. Courtney, thanks for coming up with the list of items. It seems pretty complete; the only thing I would add are drinks (and cups).

Cache games: Fizzymagic and Pepper (and anyone else who wants to help them), I'll leave it up to you guys to organize these, if any. The one at the Sunol gathering with the poker hands sounds intriguing, and there's probably many others.

Anyway, let me know if there's anything to add or change on the cache page. Thanks for all the input and offers to help so far... looks like this event is finally getting off the ground. icon_smile.gif

Here is a threads for the people setting up games...

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=3640967444

games can take a lot of time to set up but they add to the over all fun.

As for potluck items to bring, this is what I did.

Bring something according to your last name initial..

Something like

A-H ... bring a main dish, (burgers, dogs, sandwiches..)

I-P .. bring a side dish, (salads, chips, dips etc)

Q-Z ... bring deserts ...

Everyone bring their own drinks.

Just a guidline for those who don't know what to birng. If you wanted to bring something that didn't fit, go right ahead.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

Do you think we need to reserve a picnic area (if there's still one available)? I've never been there myself, so I have no idea.

And does anyone else have opinions about the time? Does 10-5 sound reasonable? I don't want to confuse people by repeatedly changing the meeting time. icon_razz.gif

George: Thanks for the potluck suggestion; I'll add that to the cache page. I also liked the thread about cache games... now I feel inspired to design some for the next gathering!

I'll also add the tollbooth coordinates and the info for dog owners to the cache page.

--- off-topic ---

Andy (of Alison and Andy): Cool, you got the reference icon_cool.gif Andrew says he used to play the Vrusk medic. As for me, I only got to play for a few hours, but I was the Dralasite (of course!).

Colleen I spoke with a the Gentleman that mans the toll booth yesterday and he said he thinks all the reservable picnic areas are taken. That's not a problem I beleive a couple cachers that live very nearby self included have offered to go early and grab a few tables. They all have pits by the tables.

Pepper

I agree with 10am, the Sunol event didn't start until later and we ran short on time.

It took a lot of effort (from both Brian and myself) to setup the games for that event. If people prefer a less-organised-more-casual approach I understand.

Just a Short Walk did an incredible job at the Monterey event, so it's getting pretty hard to meet the high standards that's been set.

This should be fun!

About the beer though:

If this is going to require a permit, I'm not sure it's worth it.

There was a "Let's all get together and have a beer" in Berkely about six months ago (GC25C2). We could easily make that a seperate/additional event.

quote:
Colleen I spoke with a the Gentleman that mans the toll booth yesterday and he said he thinks all the reservable picnic areas are taken. That's not a problem I beleive a couple cachers that live very nearby self included have offered to go early and grab a few tables.

I tend to get there at about 8 AM on Saturdays to swim anyway, so I will make sure we get some primo tables.

quote:
posted by fizzymagic:

I tend to get there at about 8 AM on Saturdays to swim anyway, so I will make sure we get some primo tables.

fizzymagic your the man, looking forward to meeting you along with the rest of the folks that show up.

Pepper

I went to the benchmarking part of the website and found a couple of triangulation points in Dublin that ought to be easy to find. I'll use those to calibrate my GPS and set up a "zero spot" game for the picnic.

I think I will also post a special cache for the event. What should we put in it?

quote:
maybe all the foks that show up for the event can bring a little something to contribute to the cache

My idea was to post a cache, but to not use the correct coordinates. Then, when people get to the picnic, they get the coordinates. The cache is only available during the picnic, and gets archived immediately thereafter.

That way, everyone who comes gets a unique find available to nobody else. I'd make it moderately difficult to find and put in little prizes for everyone. Does that sound like fun?

Since attending the event counts as a find. You should have a log book for people to sign in on.

Having an extra cache is fine plus creating a group cache is fun too. Everyone chips in an item and before you know you have a really big cache. Take the log book, and the chipped in cache items, and hid the cache in honor of the event for others to find who could not attend the event. Pick some one to hide the cache or someone could win the chance to hide it.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.