Why such limitation when you want to review your activity by date?

El Fartero

Sometimes you want to look back on some date long ago to remember all the great caches you found that day. Maybe it was your vacation in Maine, or the day you hiked up Half Dome mountain, or the day you and your friends went out to celebrate after you aced your final. If you hit the "geocaches" tab on your dashboard, it'll bring up a calendar that allows you to search for logs written on any particular date. The problem is, you can only scroll through the calendar month-by-month, so if you want to find, say, the caches you found on your birthday in 2010, it'll take a lot of clicks on the "back" tab to get there. Wouldn't it be helpful if you could move through the calendar more quickly, perhaps by scrolling on the "year" field or just by entering the date directly? You can do that on most websites that have a calendar, so why not ours? Does anyone else feel this would be a useful little upgrade to our game?

Edited by El Fartero
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

I have never used this feature before but it seems to be a very practical way to find a particular day instead of browsing all logs as I am used to. To make it faster you can edit the link in the source code. For example, the left arrow "Go to the previous month" contains:

<a href="javascript:__doPostBack('ctl00$ContentBody$MyCalendar','V7944')" style="color:Black" title="Go to the previous month">&lt;</a>

Here you see a coded date 'V7944'. If you want to go back a full year you can subtract 365 from this number and change it to 'V7579' before you click the arrow. I just tried this and got immediatelly 2020 October instead of 2021 October.

Of course, editing the source is not the way you are supposed to use to change the date but it is the way how you can do it immediately and pretty fast until this feature is added by Groudspeak or made possible by some add-on developer. I suggest you find an easy way to edit the date yourself as it may take quite a long otherways.

• Helpful 1

Like arisoft, I'd never noticed that feature. Agree with you, if it's going to exist, the calendar function could be better. 

If I want to my find logs of a particular date, there are two ways I'd do it.

1) download a MyFinds pocket query, and use GSAK to filter

2) https://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1&lt=2

link above is for Found it! logs only, it will load all your finds on a single page. 

https://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1&lt=10

attended logs

https://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1

all logs

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 2
On 11/30/2021 at 2:53 AM, Smitherington said:

I have always scrolled through the listing to get back to a particular date. That is time consuming on a phone or tablet but on a computer once you start scrolling a slider shows up and you can grab it with the mouse and get there quickly.

On 11/29/2021 at 2:03 AM, lee737 said:

I've looked up this sort of data before, I've just scrolled back through the log listing.....

Last week I was scrolling through the listing and got to the point where it says it only shows the 1000 most recent logs and that I needed to use another method to see more.  GSAK is not an option for me (Mac computer) so I'd be interested in knowing what other methods there are.

2 hours ago, NanCycle said:

Last week I was scrolling through the listing and got to the point where it says it only shows the 1000 most recent logs and that I needed to use another method to see more.  GSAK is not an option for me (Mac computer) so I'd be interested in knowing what other methods there are.

If you go to your dashboard and click on Logs in the left-hand panel, then select either All Logs or any of the individual log types, you'll get a complete list of your logs with no limit on number.

image.png.a4705a45d5ca65050e2e8cefe4e60463.png

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, barefootjeff said:

If you go to your dashboard and click on Logs in the left-hand panel, then select either All Logs or any of the individual log types, you'll get a complete list of your logs with no limit on number.

image.png.a4705a45d5ca65050e2e8cefe4e60463.png

This is what I do, just use the 'all logs' listing - then I see our DNFs and OM logs etc. I don't mind the scrolling - sometimes you scroll past something and check it out as well, something you hadn't thought of for a while.....

I have a cell phone app Geooh GO. Right from the home screen, I can tap on my account name to see my stats and logs for today.  Or I can open the calendar and select any other time range.  You have to save the results and go through the list to see the individual logs.

Next time you want to relive the trip, you can just refresh the list.

On 11/28/2021 at 9:28 AM, El Fartero said:

Thanks for the helpful replies. I'm surprised that some experienced cachers haven't noticed or used this feature, which I find very useful despite its limitations. It would seem not all that big a deal for Groundspeak to improve this, so perhaps they'll get to it one of these days.

Where is this feature?  I'm missing it.

5 hours ago, lee737 said:

I'd like all of the stats to be hyperlinked - click a date in your date-found grid, get a list of all caches you found with that date, separated by years..... same for date-hidden grid and DT grid... it would be something I would use a bit....

There are so many opportunities to improve the user interface.