Someone took my TB and didn't log it

Rmarlo

My TB was released on "Morchel's TB Hotel" (https://coord.info/GC72MA4) on June 04, 2021. Before the 12th of the same month someone took my TB and didn't log it.
I've written messages and mails to the users who I think have the TB but they don't answer me. What should I do? I would like the TB to continue its mission.
I think one of these users has it:
2ndnextplease 05/06/2021
NextPlease89 05/06/2021     
Hanninoah 06/06/2021
Does anyone know them?
Thanks for your help.

• Surprised 2
7 hours ago, Rmarlo said:

My TB was released on "Morchel's TB Hotel" (https://coord.info/GC72MA4) on June 04, 2021. Before the 12th of the same month someone took my TB and didn't log it.
I've written messages and mails to the users who I think have the TB but they don't answer me. What should I do? I would like the TB to continue its mission.
(Snip)
Does anyone know them?
Thanks for your help.

Don't post those names.

Everyone wants their TB to continue. I've had several taken before they even got one mile! 

What exactly did you say to the people who you suspected stole your TB? 

There's nothing else you can do. Once it leaves your hands you have no control over its movements.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

Don't post those names.

Everyone wants their TB to continue. I've had several taken before they even got one mile! 

What exactly did you say to the people who you suspected stole your TB? 

There's nothing else you can do. Once it leaves your hands you have no control over its movements

I don't think they stole anything, I think they may have forgotten to log the tb.

I'm just posting their names in case anyone knows them and can tell them something. If not, bad luck. I hope to have better luck next time.

48 minutes ago, Rmarlo said:

I don't think they stole anything, I think they may have forgotten to log the tb.

My apologies. The TB has been missing for 5 months now, unfortunately. But if those geocachers do not respond to your message there's really nothing else you can do. It's very frustrating when they go missing so early in their life! 

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, Rmarlo said:

Guess you were there before, and just dropping your trackable off to that "hotel".  Didn't see your name logged in anywhere...

Curious how you know it's no longer there.  You don't explain.  Thanks.   :)

When we'd drop a trackable in a cache already found, we'd leave a note on the cache page, so there's a chain of events. 

We've lost all our trackables sent out, yet only mailed one person that emailed, saying it was going to be in another country in two months.

- It never went anywhere, and JIC something happened, sent a note...   It turned out he was a hoarder who quit the hobby...  

For some time, we'd get mails from TOs often, and finally just stopped responding after having one accuse us of stealing one. 

Truth is, you have no idea where that trackable is...

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Guess you were there before, and just dropping your trackable off to that "hotel".  Didn't see your name logged in anywhere...

Curious how you know it's no longer there.  You don't explain.  Thanks.

Another user dropped it on my name. The TB has to travel from Germany to Spain.
I know it is no longer there because some users replied to my messages and told me that they didn't see it there.

17 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Kinda surprised a trackable "hotel" with so many FPs that has this Additional Logging Requirement, "If you want to take one of our guests on their way, please replace them with another one. That way the Hotels stays full and we can stay in business!"  hasn't been noticed by a Reviewer yet.

I didn't know it was not "legal". :sunsure:

15 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Kinda surprised a trackable "hotel" with so many FPs that has this Additional Logging Requirement, "If you want to take one of our guests on their way, please replace them with another one. That way the Hotels stays full and we can stay in business!"  hasn't been noticed by a Reviewer yet.

I cannot see any additional logging requirements.  You can log this cache if you take non or all TBs, trackable are not part of, and are not controlled by Groundspeak.

I think, this discussion started 2006 already when a CO wrote:

IF YOU TAKE A TB AND DON’T LEAVE ONE IN ITS STEAD, WE WILL DELETE YOUR LOG!"

This of course was never authorized and Keystone wrote:

As a practical matter, the difference today versus the "rules" when this thread was started many years ago was the prohibition of "Additional Logging Requirements." With the threat of deleting your log on the TB Prison cache being removed, all the controlling cache owner can do is bluster and sputter. If that blustering rises to the level of a website TOU violation, then further action may be warranted. If your valid "found it" log is deleted, write to Groundspeak and they will restore it.

Volunteer cache reviewers now can point to the "ALR" prohibition when new caches are submitted and they contain restrictions about trackable items in the cache.

What I see is, that the CO above just asked to trade one for one, no requirement, just a request.

Edited by Mausebiber
  • Funny 1
On 11/27/2021 at 3:20 AM, Rmarlo said:

Your TB may be sitting in some cache just fine, and it's awaiting someone to properly log it.  I've seen unlogged TBs in caches many times.

Cachers, new or veteran, seem to have a lot of trouble figuring out how TBs work.  Evidently, the process confuses people.  If they don't log the retrieval, and then they place it into a cache and don't log that (which they can't, because it was not in their Inventory), the next cacher who takes it has some research and extra paperwork and to do.  And if the first taker logged it into his inventory, it's even more confusing (are they planning to make a log?  Did they forget?).  AND many cachers seem to not react to communication.  "Messages" and "Email" are also confusing, I guess.  Sure, remember that if they reply to your Geocaching.com "email", it may be delivered to "No-Reply", or "email" may not be functional at that moment.

Some TBs are kind of scrambled, and if you take the TB, you've inherited a mess.  Usually it's about "the TB Code not working no matter what I try".  I tend to suggest to cachers who ask, that if they cannot figure out what to do, that they place the TB into a cache and type some text in any log that they can do.  This means that the best case scenario, is a wayward TB will be next found in a cache by somebody.  If we're lucky, it's someone who has the time and gumption to unscramble TB logs.

I would also suggest that if one was ever "not able to log a TB" or "can't find a cache big enough for a TB" or got very confused by this process, don't remove a TB from a cache.  Instead make a decent Discovery log on both the cache and the TB page.  And never publish the Tracking Code.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
On 11/27/2021 at 11:38 AM, cerberus1 said:

I don't place any TB into a TB hotel.  I also tend to not take any, because those are hot potatoes -- logs are scrambled, coveted coins were switched to "laminated picture of a coin" at some point, attachments are missing, and the TB Owner has been fuming over the TB mismanagement.  Anger now directed at the next Taker.  If I can figure out which TB is which, I'll just do a Discover instead, thank you very much.  TB Hotels are where TBs go to die.  And "Events"? ...don't get me started.  B)

• Upvote 1
On 11/29/2021 at 5:34 AM, kunarion said:

I don't place any TB into a TB hotel.  I also tend to not take any, because those are hot potatoes -- logs are scrambled, coveted coins were switched to "laminated picture of a coin" at some point, attachments are missing, and the TB Owner has been fuming over the TB mismanagement.  Anger now directed at the next Taker.  If I can figure out which TB is which, I'll just do a Discover instead, thank you very much.  TB Hotels are where TBs go to die.  And "Events"? ...don't get me started.  B)

Heartbreak Hotels?

Cue The King.:D

• Funny 1