Invisible caches?

Max_and_Josh

Hi All

I overlaid a map from geocaching.com and another from the app on my phone.

Basically, I went with my kids to my local reservoir. We hunted for a couple of caches and found them - great.

We then left a cache in an area that the map on the phone app showed was completely devoid of caches.

We got home later and then went to log the cache on the desktop - cue disaster! Red circles all over the place (including where we'd left our cache) but no cache icons.

What's going on, please? If these caches are somehow premium, why don't they show up as the grey "premium" caches do? Will becoming a premium member reveal all these "invisible caches" to me?

Thanks

New Project(3).png

8 minutes ago, Max_and_Josh said:

What's going on, please?

They are simply other type of caches than Traditional... with several stages that will not be seen on the maps (obviously).

Becoming Premium will let you see PMO caches (among lots of other perks), but still not those that you refer on your map.

Edited by RuideAlmeida
  • Helpful 1

the map on the phone app showed was completely devoid of caches.

Assuming the "phone app" is the free Geocaching.com phone app, what it shows you is 2 cache types:  Events, and Traditional caches at D/T 2 or less.  Other cache types are not shown.  I'm not sure what it does with regard to PMO caches in that range. From your post, shows them as grey? .

The only map on Geocaching.com with "red circles" is the planning map. It will show you the PUBLIC coordinates of existing published physical caches, of any type and it will include PMO in that.   It won't show hidden stages. This is true for everyone.

A Search map on the site will show a Basic Member all caches of all D/T except for PMO caches.

• Helpful 3
2 hours ago, Max_and_Josh said:

Hi All

I overlaid a map from geocaching.com and another from the app on my phone.

Basically, I went with my kids to my local reservoir. We hunted for a couple of caches and found them - great.

We then left a cache in an area that the map on the phone app showed was completely devoid of caches.

We got home later and then went to log the cache on the desktop - cue disaster! Red circles all over the place (including where we'd left our cache) but no cache icons.

What's going on, please? If these caches are somehow premium, why don't they show up as the grey "premium" caches do? Will becoming a premium member reveal all these "invisible caches" to me?

Thanks

New Project(3).png

How did you manage to already hide 33 caches without running into this issue? 

All your questions are answered in The Help Center:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=102

There's also really good information to read before you place your first cache. 

Edit: Nevermind. You've placed 33!

Edited by Max and 99
  • Surprised 1
21 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

Assuming the "phone app" is the free Geocaching.com phone app, what it shows you is 2 cache types:  Events, and Traditional caches at D/T 2 or less.  Other cache types are not shown.  I'm not sure what it does with regard to PMO caches in that range. From your post, shows them as grey? .

The official app doesn't show PMO or disabled cache.

Those in grey are "advanced" that you can see normally on a computer.

I am still waiting for Groundspeak to correct this misconception reported multiple times...

• Funny 2
  • Helpful 1