Locating old cache

mayofam616

Easiest way for you to do this is to go look at the Project-GC Map Compare tool (will require Authentication on the Project-GC site for your GC account, it's a one-click process), select "Show disabled and archived caches" and have a look at the area where the cache used to be. As far as I know, every cache that was ever listed on goecaching.com and has been archived should be on there.

• Funny 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Unit473L said:

Easiest way for you to do this is to go look at the Project-GC Map Compare tool (will require Authentication on the Project-GC site for your GC account, it's a one-click process), select "Show disabled and archived caches" and have a look at the area where the cache used to be. As far as I know, every cache that was ever listed on goecaching.com and has been archived should be on there.

Just for curiosity sake I went to that linked website and entered some info, but could not find a  "Go" or "Enter" button to tell the program to start searching.

And do I need to enter info in all spaces or simply enter my name and select  "Show disabled and Archived caches"?  My caching is basically within 75 miles on my home so no need to check an immense area.

2 hours ago, Jayeffel said:

Just for curiosity sake I went to that linked website and entered some info, but could not find a  "Go" or "Enter" button to tell the program to start searching.

And do I need to enter info in all spaces or simply enter my name and select  "Show disabled and Archived caches"?  My caching is basically within 75 miles on my home so no need to check an immense area.

Worked for me:

Capture.JPG

Yes, it's a little counter intuitive on that front. I suspect the programmer / builder of the site is not a native English speaker, as some of the best GeoCaching stuff comes out of Europe.

The button should probably say "Show me filtered Results" or "Execute Query". It's also designed primarily for seeing which caches two players have both or neither found - but as far as I am aware, it's the only tool available to show archived caches on a map.

I use it a fair bit and keep forgetting about that when sharing it - my bad.

1 hour ago, Unit473L said:

Yes, it's a little counter intuitive on that front. I suspect the programmer / builder of the site is not a native English speaker, as some of the best GeoCaching stuff comes out of Europe.

I strongly suspect the programmer is Swedish. About the button, I think it an imperative verb rather than a noun, as in "go filter geocaches according to the filters I have set up".

It is also possible to set up a position and a radius, for instance the center of that park and 1 km, to limit the number of matches.