How do I return a geocache when I'm not allowed to?

Kaveh1322

I was geocaching and found a cache on the window of a power station, next to a public road. I took off the cache and started writing in the logbook when a lady, presumably a local resident, came up to me and told me she had "had enough of people touching the building" and that I had to "**** off of [she'll] call the police". She didn't give me a chance to put the geocache back and I had to cram it into my pocket and get out of there. I messaged the cache owner but I'm not sure if they'll reply. Is there anything I should do so it's archived (as I am definitely not putting it back now and don't want other cachers to have the police show up)?

23 minutes ago, Kaveh1322 said:

I was geocaching and found a cache on the window of a power station, next to a public road. I took off the cache and started writing in the logbook when a lady, presumably a local resident, came up to me and told me she had "had enough of people touching the building" and that I had to "**** off of [she'll] call the police". She didn't give me a chance to put the geocache back and I had to cram it into my pocket and get out of there. I messaged the cache owner but I'm not sure if they'll reply. Is there anything I should do so it's archived (as I am definitely not putting it back now and don't want other cachers to have the police show up)?

If this happened to me I would log a Needs Archived to alert the reviewer. I would explain exactly what happened in the log.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
1 hour ago, Kaveh1322 said:

Alright, I've also put a "Needs Archived" notice. Thanks.

This is just my personal opinion: as stated before I personally would log a NA, and let the reviewer and CO figure out the rest.

I'm really sorry that happened to you! 

Something like this has never happened to me, thank goodness! But right after we got a first to find on a geocache, within an hour the second to find was being held in the back of a government vehicle. He had guns pointed at him and he was terrified!! We didn't even know it was a government facility, just thought it was warehouses. The person who placed the geocache worked right there and thought nothing of it. Scared the Jeepers out of me to hear his story.

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 3
1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

This is just my personal opinion: as stated before I personally would log a NA, and let the reviewer and CO figure out the rest.

I'm really sorry that happened to you! 

Something like this has never happened to me, thank goodness! But right after we got a first to find on a geocache, within an hour the second to find was being held in the back of a government vehicle. He had guns pointed at him and he was terrified!! We didn't even know it was a government facility, just thought it was warehouses. The person who placed the geocache worked right there and thought nothing of it. Scared the Jeepers out of me to hear his story.

Fortunately this hasn't happened to me... Yet. At least I found a nice geocache later to brighten my mood :D. Annoyingly in London there aren't that many places to hide geocaches (that you're allowed to)

Edited by Kaveh1322
Add content
8 hours ago, Kaveh1322 said:

Alright, I've also put a "Needs Archived" notice. Thanks.

5 hours ago, Kaveh1322 said:

Annoyingly in London there aren't that many places to hide geocaches (that you're allowed to)

Odd, but I couldn't find an NA on the last cache that shows found (on 11/21).

- Or did you not log a Found It with your NA on another afterwards?   You can...   :)

This is a problem when people don't go by guidelines, and ask for permission.  Luckily you were only yelled at. This time.

1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

Odd, but I couldn't find an NA on the last cache that shows found (on 11/21).

- Or did you not log a Found It with your NA on another afterwards?   You can...   :)

This is a problem when people don't go by guidelines, and ask for permission.  Luckily you were only yelled at. This time.

12 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I could not locate it either and I wondered if the op just didn't log a find. 

I had written my name in the logbook and was filling in the log when it happened, I may have found it, but I thought it was better not saying that just in case, and just adding a "Needs archiving". Regardless, the cache owner has now disabled the cache, and I don't mind losing out on one cache!

Thanks for the help from anyone, hopefully no one has the police on them for now...

Edited by Kaveh1322
10 minutes ago, Kaveh1322 said:

I had written my name in the logbook and was filling in the log when it happened, I may have found it, but I thought it was better not saying that just in case, and just adding a "Needs archiving". Regardless, the cache owner has now disabled the cache, and I don't mind losing out on one cache!

Thanks for the help from anyone, hopefully no one has the police on them for now...

You did great!

• Upvote 1