Up The Ante

JMaxamillion

I think that for geocaching to continue to flourish in this area people need to make some really good members only caches near there home and a few really good non-members caches. If a few people would step up and do this i think more people would be encouraged to become members also the more good caches in one area also encourages more good caches being put near you to find the result a lot of good caches near you to go find

I know i will soon put up some new really cool ones for everyone to check out icon_razz.gif

MAX

icon_confused.gif man, i hate to bring it up again, but this members thing just seems to be... i think maybe it's just not the right thing. you simply cannot guarantee that the members only caches will be better. i wish i could find some peace with all this (as if it's a HUGE deal icon_wink.gif) oi, i have some other thoughts that i somehow feel aren't welcome. i guess resistance is futile, the membership is here to stay. icon_rolleyes.gif

(going graemlin wild icon_biggrin.gif)

I have sent my check in for membership. The reason I did this is I don't care for the auto-renewal. I joined because I feel that Jeremy should be compensated for the money he puts in to this website. I think with all the lost time from his work and money and time he puts into keeping the geocaching.com site running, a fee of $30.00 isn't much to ask. I have mixed emotions about the members only caches....I guess for me the jury is out. I do however understand Jeremy's desire to give something to the cachers that want to support THEIR site. If it was fee for play only, I might have more of an issue with it. So, I supposed I am beating a dead horse here too. The decision has been made and I agree with what has been done, but opinions are like.....well you know the rest. And thanks Jeremy once again for all the great upgrades to the site. icon_biggrin.gif

see, that's what i'm talking about. as i've said before i'd gladly donate money, and i'm sure other people would. it's not about the membership, it's about supporting the site and the game in hardships. i too am planning on giving up the cash for the "charter membership", but only because i love the sport, not because members get privelages.

quote:
Originally posted by McIrish:

I joined because I feel that Jeremy should be compensated for the money he puts in to this website. I think with all the lost time from his work and money and time he puts into keeping the geocaching.com site running, a fee of $30.00 isn't much to ask.

Okay McIrish, ya talked me into it. I just now signed up! icon_biggrin.gif

I just started getting back into my ol' geocaching groove after several months on inactivity, and I came back to the site finding that the forums had been revamped. This led me to find out that there was now a "Charter Member" option. It didn't take long for me to pay the $30.

I felt that the hours that I spend hunting caches was well worth 30 a year. That's 20 dollars less than most new video games that I'll probably stop playing in a few months anyway. Again, this is simply because I enjoy the activity, and feel this is one of the many ways to show my support for it.

must... refrain... argh... dead horse!

---

Lawrence

I would put something funny here, but not now.

quote:
I joined because I feel that Jeremy should be compensated for the money he puts in to this website. I think with all the lost time from his work and money and time he puts into keeping the geocaching.com site running, a fee of $30.00 isn't much to ask

I too was thinking of joining just to help support the site. But then I saw the "members only caches". icon_frown.gif And I wasn't very happy with that.

Then I was looking at the newer the Travel Bugs in the TB Gallery and went to see the cache of one of the TBs... I was kicked out because it was a member's only cache. icon_mad.gif That just pi&%@# me off.

Now I'm thinking twice about joining, just because of this feature.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that doesn't think it is a great idea.

miatablk.gif

I guess Jeremy is just doing the best he can. Can't keep everyone happy all of the time. On the other side of the coin, what if people paid their money and didn't get anything....would they be unhappy too???? I guess the best thing to do it is sign up and just don't use the option of members only.

well, you really can't be unhappy donating money and not getting anything... that's what donating is all about. i honestly think that would've been the best way to go, but hey, i can't complain, i still love the sport, i'm still going to join (when i get paid) and i'm still wishing there was no such thing as member caches... it does sort of put a damper on travel bugs though, hadn't thought of that... kinda puts some responsibility on the members to move the bugs.

Donating to Jeremy was an option. For several months. Unfortunately, many of us meant to donate, but it was easy to put off. I am not a member of paypal and didn't have an inclination to join. So, I never donated money. Becoming a member of geocaching.com and making sure this site didn't diminish or become to expensive for one person to bear was the deciding factor for me. Members only caches played NO part in my decision. I am not even sure we have any in our area. I do understand why Jeremy IS trying to give back something to his members. We will never agree 100% on how things should be run. However, I am only a member not the owner. I didn't start the site and it isn't mine. I do think it is basically a well run site with good family values and constantly upgraded options. As far as Jeremy making a living at Geocaching.com.....why not? He had a good idea, it took off, people enjoy what he had to offer and he implemented a great idea. If I had thought of it and put as much time and effort in this site, I wouldn't feel guilty trying to make it pay off or at the very least, pay for itself. I sent a check, I didn't use paypal...(I don't like the auto renewal) LOL, my gripe. But that is the least of my worries, I had options. I hope everyone will lighten up a bit and enjoy a great hobby and website. Personally, I would like to thank Jeremy for giving me hours and hours of great fun, new friends and helping me overcome my fear of snakes and spiders!!!! I have seen places in my own backyard that I would have otherwise never known existed. Happy caching.....hope to see you out there! Picnic is being planned for our local geocachers (and anyone else that would like to meet some great people)

I'm not advocating member-only caches, but I did think of one advantage to them: if government agencies are logging on to find caches for the purpose of removing them, they'd have to buy a membership to get at the member-only caches. icon_wink.gif

BTW McIrish, it's easy enough to cancel a subscription. You just go to your PayPal account page and delete it. Easy as cake!

llamasmall.jpg

First off, a quick reply to Rent: I believe Jeremy stated in another forum that any government agencies that wanted access to the site would be given a guest account. Geocachers have nothing to hide!

Er... icon_confused.gif

Well, you know what I mean.

Personally, I think the OPTION (note the emphasis!) to place a members-only cache is a very good thing.

Case in point: There's a pair of high-school dimwits destroying caches in the San Fernando Valley area. Seems to me that a members-only cache is a handy way to keep out at least some of the riff-raff like this. Being the parasites that they are, vandals generally aren't interested in paying for the opportunity to vandalize something.

I think it's a nice feature for those who want to make use of it, and I will probably make my next cache a members-only cache as thanks to fellow Geocaching supporters.

That said, let me point out that I paid for a membership to support Jeremy's work and this site, and not for members-only privileges, or nicknames, or any other fringe benefits.

If the members cache option was withdrawn, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. And if the membership came with nothing more than a sense of personal satisfaction in giving a little extra back to Geocaching, I'd still have happily opened my wallet.

My $.02...

-- Doppler

Jeremy's remarks:

quote:
If a government agency requested to have a free account, I would happily oblige. Actually, more realistically I will probably set it up so they receive a ArcView Shapefile of all the caches and they can respond appropriately if they find that some are in improper locations.

Ultimately I want our land stewards to accept Geocaching. Currently we are in the "new and strange" category as sports go so it will take a while to educate these folks into the Geocaching ethic. We are all ambassadors for the sport here, so I, for one, do not want to put this in a negative light.

Jeremy

-- Doppler

I was only half serious, and Jeremy is absolutely on the right track. Thanks for sharing that... I really don't roam beyond the West and Southwest forums too much.

And you're right about the rest. All the perqs could go away tomorrow and I'd be just as happy as a member. icon_cool.gif

llamasmall.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Doppler:

Case in point: There's a pair of high-school dimwits destroying caches in the San Fernando Valley area. Seems to me that a members-only cache is a handy way to keep out at least some of the riff-raff like this. Being the parasites that they are, vandals generally aren't interested in paying for the opportunity to vandalize something.

-- Doppler

Spray paint is not cheap. And I don't think that acid based etching stuff some are using is free.

$3 for a one month membership is a lot less then both of these.

I would think that trying to hide them would make them more of a target.

miatablk.gif