Geocache Saturation, Is it possible that some areas are over saturated with geocaches?

DARKSIDEDAN

Is it possible that some areas are over saturated with geocaches? What do you think?

I love caching and finding ANY cache, so for me there can never be to many caches in my local area to find. I say the more there are to find the better. 

My final though is; If you do not like Guard Rail caches, Tree climbs, Power Trails, ect. Then dont find them. But let other people to find them if thats what they want to do.

48 minutes ago, DARKSIDEDAN said:

My final though is; If you do not like Guard Rail caches, Tree climbs, Power Trails, ect. Then dont find them. But let other people to find them if thats what they want to do.

With just over 500 caches on the Central Coast and only 13 new ones this year (3 of those mine), I don't get to be picky if I want to do any caching locally. But we don't have any power trails and there's only one cache in this region with the tree climb attribute, so my tolerance to those hasn't really been tested. Guard rails are good for making up the other nine finds so I can give an FP to the tenth.

I saw a log on a P&G recently complaining about all the dreary Sistemas at the end of tedious long hikes through boring bushland around here, so I guess it takes all kinds.

• Funny 1

Yes…but it depends where the saturation is located, in urban areas, not so much, but out in regional areas, saturation can both “cheapen” an area or in some cases, cause problems with the local landholders.

Down south here saturation mainly revolves around where the next Mega will be held, with the committee throwing out up to 800 “event caches” over the entire region, so that virtually every local back road becomes a power trail, which as we found out up here in NE Victoria became a big issue with the local landowners with large increases in traffic travelling slowly down farm lanes and stopping every 180m with people running off into the trees, it was a large concern in an area with high farm theft and bio security concerns. Fortunately most of these event caches only have a 4 year lifespan, then they are all archived so the next Mega can have the same amount of Geo-art/event caches.

Probably the biggest problem I see with over saturation is that all the great caches get swallowed up in the boring power trails and Geo-art, so that the interesting caches either just get blanket logged with the power trails or they get ignored by those of us that ignore power trails.

Obviously I am only speaking for myself, but an area that gets over saturated gets ignored because you get a perception that there are just 100 or so mint tins or uninspiring caches, when there could be in fact some really good caches in amongst it all, but they get missed as you have already ignored that area.

Anyway, just my two cents worth….

• Love 1
7 hours ago, skullracing said:

throwing out up to 800 “event caches” over the entire region, so that virtually every local back road becomes a power trail,

I do feel that the event organisers go a little overboard with the caches at times. I love finding caches, but there is only so much I can do in a few days at a mega..... I'm sure we'd all prefer 50 well maintained rippers, than 800 pill bottles/mint-tins under random logs.....

• Love 1
14 hours ago, lee737 said:

I do feel that the event organisers go a little overboard with the caches at times. I love finding caches, but there is only so much I can do in a few days at a mega..... I'm sure we'd all prefer 50 well maintained rippers, than 800 pill bottles/mint-tins under random logs.....

Yep, it took me about three years to finally get through all the mega caches around Morisset, and I'm still only about halfway through the ones in the Watagans State Forest. All the rain making those roads impassable hasn't helped though.