EVERYONE THOUGHT THE ORIGIONAL CANBERRA NATURE PARK CACHE (CANBERRA'S OLDEST CACHE) WAS LOST FOREVER UNTILL DARKSIDEDAN FOUND IT AGAIN

DARKSIDEDAN

EVERYONE THOUGHT THE ORIGIONAL CANBERRA NATURE PARK CACHE (CANBERRA, AUSTRALIA'S OLDEST CACHE) WAS LOST FOREVER UNTILL DARKSIDEDAN FOUND IT AGAIN

On the 16th April 2016, I attended the 15th Birthday Event for Canberra Nature Park by Alex, Helen & Jock | GC6CF | Australian Capital Territory, Australia. It was at this event with great sadness that I found out that the original Canberra Nature Park Cache (the ACT’s Oldest Geocache) had been lost forever and replaced by Sol de lune a 5 years earlier. After the event I walked down the hill with some of the other geocache crews to find and sign the logbook for Canberra's Oldest cache even though I had found the cache 12 month ago. The other geocache finders all went to a pile of rocks and pulled out the replacement cache for GC6CF. I yelled out "That's not the right cache, the cache is over here". I ran 40 to 50 meters away and pulled out from a crack in the rocks, the Original Canberra Nature Park by Alex, Helen & Jock | GC6CF | Australian Capital Territory Australia, including all the old original logbooks dating back to the very first day of placement. Sol de lune (the current caretaker of the cache) came running down the hill as fast as he could to find me holding both the original and the replacement cache. When I had originally found the Canberra Nature Park Cache (the ACT’s Oldest Geocache) I didn’t have my GPS with me so I just searched around for it. Not known to me at the time I had found and signed the original cache, not the replacement. Twelve months later I had both an original and the replacement cache in my hand as well as a smile from ear to ear. It gave me pleasure to know that I am responsible in giving this piece of ACT Geocaching history back to the Geocaching community to enjoy on its 15th Birthday.

0f3e1748-b7e5-4bf1-a17a-1365e924983a.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1

Well done.

Sometimes not having a GPS with you can increase the chance of finding a cache. I remember an occasion searching unsuccessfully around the area my GPS led me to, when I heard, "Found it" from my caching companion, who had forgotten their GPS. Not knowing where the coordinates led to, they had been searching other possible locations instead.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1