What New Cache Type should Groundspeak create next?

DARKSIDEDAN

With the rain tumbling down again, I've been poring over the map, trying to plan a caching trip up north to the Newcastle region for when it eventually clears, but almost every cache I've looked at has been an Eclipse tin and a persual of recent logs shows things like "wet log" and "container starting to rust". So I'd like to suggest a new cache type for Eclipse tins, that only allows the size to be set to micro and automatically sets the NM flag as soon as it's published. Such a cache type, or even an attribute, would allow me to filter them out.

SayNoToMintTinsSmall.jpg.ff203d89107fa01313f69649c428fa08.jpg

• Funny 2
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

With the rain tumbling down again, I've been poring over the map, trying to plan a caching trip up north to the Newcastle region for when it eventually clears, but almost every cache I've looked at has been an Eclipse tin and a persual of recent logs shows things like "wet log" and "container starting to rust". So I'd like to suggest a new cache type for Eclipse tins, that only allows the size to be set to micro and automatically sets the NM flag as soon as it's published. Such a cache type, or even an attribute, would allow me to filter them out.

SayNoToMintTinsSmall.jpg.ff203d89107fa01313f69649c428fa08.jpg

The worst one I have found, was a mint tin under a bridge over salt water. So rusted it was sealed shut.This was some time ago, so I imagine it has completely rusted now and sprinkled the rust into the ocean. At least it won't create micro plastic.

Mint tins are okay in very dry and protected places, but otherwise, they are ridiculous as containers. Often as short lived in caching as their beginner COs.

DEFINITELY MICRO.

This can be a really interesting topic. Yes, it has been here a few times, but time has progressed again and new inventions with it.

First, I would like to respond to the introductory post. Lost and Found was never a type of geocache. It was an attribute landf-yes.pngthat could be used at Community Celebration Events (early 10 Years! Event Cache) in 2010, if the event was attended by reviewers or lackeys. There was also an event type called Groundspeak Lost and Found Celebrationbut it still exists under a new name Geocaching HQ Celebration

Webcam Caches (return)

At this time, it is the only one type of geocache that has not yet been returned to the game. Maybe Geocaching Block Party too, but Geocaching Block Party is still marked as not-retired. They were moved to Waymarking, which doesn't seem like a good idea. It's as if they have opened a new bakery in the mall, so there would never more be bread in the supermarket. I've never seen a mall like this.

The truth is that surviving caches of this type are often abused with logging without camera images, such as a photo from a mobile phone. However, I think this is due to the rarity of this type of cache. Plus - who says it must to be webcam caches like years ago. For example, I like the design of Dacinka Home VideocachePrivate camera on private land, geocachers do not need mobile data because camera is online and records only when the button is pressed. Technology was not yet at such a level in 2005.

And if someone doesn't want to publish their face, may show a phone to camera, or geocoin, or just ignore this type of cache.

Virtual Reality Cache

Why look for geocaches only in reality? In recent years, a lot of virtual reality gaming-houses have been established. I can imagine one game that would be played online in virtual reality, with servers somewhere at Groundspeak. One listing, something like for Locationless Cache. Yes, it can smell a little commercial. Unlike finding real caches, virtual game-houses are charged. However, Groundspeak, as the creator of the game, might also want a license fee from the gaming-houses. And I think it would still be better if Geocaching HQ came up with something than if a private game creator did it, and then there will be a virtual game of geocaching without continuity to real Geocaching and without option to log the cache found in virtual reality at Geocaching.com.

Biltema (Angel) Caches

Biltema Caches (caches at a height that can be hunted with a rod) can be a pleasant diversion somewhere. Within a radius of 14km from our HC is 167 Biltema caches. And it looks similar in the whole Czech Republic. This is no longer a diversion, but a plague. Yes, of course, each cache has the "special equipment required" attribute. But the attributes are more for filtering than for new players. New players look at the listing, seeing the D2/T1 - it is great for them! I have seen the result several times - DNF written from account with 0 founds and the last login that day. Then never again.

But I'm not saying this just because these geocaches "disguised" as normal traditionals are discouraging new players. Catching this type of cache is about something similar. It is not just about came - seek - log. It is came - seek - get it - log. I know that there is a lot of support in the Czech Republic for biltema caches to be a special type. But unfortunately, it will never get any further from discussions on Facebook.

And it's not just about cache types. Nowadays, I can also imagine electronic logbooks. I'll just come with the official app to the cache, attach the mobile to a box and the app will take care of my cache loging via Bluetooth or NFC. 

And also - many of us today fill out a form to create a cache from mobile phone on the spot. Today I have to open Mapy.cz in a new browser window, focus my position and copy the coordinates to the form. If the form could get my current location, I think it would be easier.

• Surprised 2

I'd like to see the return of webcams and locationless, maybe in a manner similar to new virtuals. Cachers request them and are doled out via some kind of lottery to not overwhelm the idea.

Challenge caches are another one I'd like to see with it's own icon but with the ability to filter for the attribute and most have 'challenge' in the name (at least in English Canada), I find it a workable solution when searching for them.

My reason for finding this post is my desire for the return of the Block Party events. After attending a Giga this summer, where I was also able to get another locationless and add another maze to my profile, I'm eager to get that last missing icon. There were only 5 Block Parties (2011-2015) in Seattle and life events precluded my attendance at all of them. There are also a whole crop of new cachers that never would have had the chance to attend one. Maybe have them on the east coast of the US/Canada, in Europe and Oceania to give more people the chance to attend.

• Funny 1
9 hours ago, mrcanoehead224 said:

I'd like to see the return of webcams and locationless

Before you start clammering for the return of Locationless, I suggest you take a look at the logs on the most recent Locationless cache, GC9FAVE, and see what percentage of logs actually fulfil the stated logging requirements of a NEW visit to a favourite location IN YOUR LOCAL AREA with a photo of YOURSELF or SOMETHING OF YOURS at that location. It's pretty small. If HQ can't make a Locationless work, I doubt they'll throw it open to anyone else.

• Upvote 2
41 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Before you start clammering for the return of Locationless, I suggest you take a look at the logs on the most recent Locationless cache, GC9FAVE, and see what percentage of logs actually fulfil the stated logging requirements of a NEW visit to a favourite location IN YOUR LOCAL AREA with a photo of YOURSELF or SOMETHING OF YOURS at that location. It's pretty small. If HQ can't make a Locationless work, I doubt they'll throw it open to anyone else.

So what? People that understand and care about the requirements can still enjoy trying to fullfil them. If the typical locationless owner would be no more nitpicky than HQ is with GC9FAVE, then there would be no conflicts for HQ to deal with. That said, I also seriously doubt that the locationless will ever return.

1 hour ago, Goldenwattle said:

Locational cache. Horrible things. Besides they are in effect like moveable caches, as they can be logged anywhere.

A few, very limited webcams wouldn't be a bad idea, but only for places without one nearby, say within 200kms or so.

Do you mean locationless? Others may like them, and is it a bad thing they can be logged anywhere? They certainly don't block the cache types you like since they have no physical component. Same with webcams, any number of those would not affect those who don't like them one bit. I can understand the problem with people climbing on road bridges and stuff just to be seen in the picture though.

14 minutes ago, ChriBli said:

Do you mean locationless? Others may like them, and is it a bad thing they can be logged anywhere? They certainly don't block the cache types you like since they have no physical component. Same with webcams, any number of those would not affect those who don't like them one bit. I can understand the problem with people climbing on road bridges and stuff just to be seen in the picture though.

Thanks, corrected. I belong to another site that has locationless. It can get out of control. One of the reasons I don't find many caches on that site now. A BIG turn off. Pretty well anything goes. I seem to recall some mention from the people running the site, about possibly introducing some restrictions, and normally they just let things go as individuals choose, so that says something about Locationless. As for Webcams, I think some new ones could be released in VERY limited numbers, and none in areas already with one. Using Australia as an example, perhaps give out five or six; one for each state and territory that doesn't have one, and only to experienced cachers (the first in of those likely) who applies for one in those states, who have found Webcams, so they know what they are like. Just for fun, but not to flood the game, as unfortunately ALs have. They should have just remained with Megas. Something fun and special to do when attending a Mega.

Edited by Goldenwattle
16 hours ago, mrcanoehead224 said:

I'd like to see the return of webcams and locationless, maybe in a manner similar to new virtuals. 

Groundspeak created Waymarking to replace locationless caches that they decided weren't actually a cache (a set location, with a container and log).

Those new things you found aren't true locationless, really...

Webcams have so many issues that I don't think Groundspeak would consider them today.

They might have been unique years ago when you pretty-much needed a team to claim one...   

On 9/25/2023 at 3:55 PM, Max and 99 said:

We have a couple NFC caches here which I have skipped. They bring an element to geocaching that I do not have an appreciation for or understanding of. 

The NFC caches are a great cache type that is often overlooked. I have only found a few of that type but they are always good fun.