I need a sturdy cacher...

Markwell

This is definately an out of the way place to put a bug! I think this is a bit out of Short Walk & Iron Chef's area. They stick mostly with Central California. I grew up just down the mountain from this area and know the trail well. If I can get the time away, I'll see if I can make the trek up there. It's about a 6 hour hike up there and back. Been awhile since I took the trail, but I'm sure I can still find my way... If my 33 year old, out of shape bones can still make it up there! icon_wink.gif

"I thought you said this was a quick find!" - My wife

This is definately an out of the way place to put a bug! I think this is a bit out of Short Walk & Iron Chef's area. They stick mostly with Central California. I grew up just down the mountain from this area and know the trail well. If I can get the time away, I'll see if I can make the trek up there. It's about a 6 hour hike up there and back. Been awhile since I took the trail, but I'm sure I can still find my way... If my 33 year old, out of shape bones can still make it up there! icon_wink.gif

If Rich (FullOn) can't get there, I will. But I have to agree: this is one of the longer hikes. I would have gotten there already, but it's been around 85 for weeks around here, and that just ain't condusive to convincing the kids to head on out!

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."

They call me "Just a Short Walk" for a reason... I don't know if this is reachable for me and my bad back! I'll point it out to Iron Chef (and Aquadyne) when I see Iron Chef this weekend..

What a Place to put a T.B.

Good Luck, I'll be watching this one!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"Just a Short walk" Says....

If You plant a cache they will come.....

I've had one hiker that has actually attempted it. The main entrance at Chantry Flat is closed indefinitely. Evidently due to the fire and subsequent mudslides, the road is closed to all traffic, including hikers. My industrious cacher did the full research and found this webpage.

Here's a portion of the e-mail from the cacher...

quote:
I called the phone # on this web page and spoke with a lady ranger who gave me the info. She said Sturtavent Camp (the area where the cache is hidden) is still accessible from a couple other directions, however. But they are much longer and more involved hikes. I will investigate those possibilities and decide whether they are trails i'd like to explore under the present summer weather (heat).

I've kidded in this thread trying to chide someone into helping rescue a wayward travel bug. In all seriousness though, you guys are amazing to even consider going all this way for a cache. I am in awe.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

P.S. I had said in my response to the cacher that if I could take the time off work, rent the appropriate gear for an overnighter, etc., I'd LOVE to go out an get the bug myself. I just don't think I could get the wife to let me be gone THAT long on a cache hunt. icon_biggrin.gif

I've had one hiker that has actually attempted it. The main entrance at Chantry Flat is closed indefinitely. Evidently due to the fire and subsequent mudslides, the road is closed to all traffic, including hikers. My industrious cacher did the full research and found this webpage.

Here's a portion of the e-mail from the cacher...

quote:
I called the phone # on this web page and spoke with a lady ranger who gave me the info. She said Sturtavent Camp (the area where the cache is hidden) is still accessible from a couple other directions, however. But they are much longer and more involved hikes. I will investigate those possibilities and decide whether they are trails i'd like to explore under the present summer weather (heat).

I've kidded in this thread trying to chide someone into helping rescue a wayward travel bug. In all seriousness though, you guys are amazing to even consider going all this way for a cache. I am in awe.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

P.S. I had said in my response to the cacher that if I could take the time off work, rent the appropriate gear for an overnighter, etc., I'd LOVE to go out an get the bug myself. I just don't think I could get the wife to let me be gone THAT long on a cache hunt. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

I'm up in Northen California. I would have went for it. Those southern cal cachers are wimps. icon_biggrin.gif

Just kidding. I might go down to LA this weekend. I'll look into it. It did 16 miles on a bike for 1 cache on saturday. I've done 20 miles for 2 before. All offroad, all steep climbing, in snow, both ways.

icon_biggrin.gif

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

I'm up in Northen California. I would have went for it. Those southern cal cachers are wimps. icon_biggrin.gif

Just kidding. I might go down to LA this weekend. I'll look into it. It did 16 miles on a bike for 1 cache on saturday. I've done 20 miles for 2 before. All offroad, all steep climbing, in snow, both ways.

icon_biggrin.gif

george

5867_200.gif

If Chantry Flats is closed, then the back ways into Sturtevant Camp are pretty hairy. With that, and the temps still being in the 90's and up, it might be a little while. If George wants to go for it, more power to him! Go George. Make sure you get a decent topo of the area first, though. Lots of trails and lots of steep mountains. Not a lot of areas you can cross country it up there.

quote:
Originally posted by FullOn:

If Chantry Flats is closed, then the back ways into Sturtevant Camp are pretty hairy. With that, and the temps still being in the 90's and up, it might be a little while. If George wants to go for it, more power to him! Go George. Make sure you get a decent topo of the area first, though. Lots of trails and lots of steep mountains. Not a lot of areas you can cross country it up there.

It's still up in the air weather I even go to LA yet.

george

5867_200.gif

It figures that the super hero would be rescued by our very own local super cacher! When it comes to challenges, Kevin's your man. It's hard to appreciate what an 11 mile hike is like in our mountains until you see them; steep, rugged, unforgiving and did I mention steep. Congrats Kevin!

Yes, I'm very impressed that Kevin & Susan were able to rescue him. My husband, as Marky mentioned, did try to rescue him, too. The trip was very long, and he still has blisters on his blisters. icon_eek.gif

We were fortunate in that the Chantry Flats portion of the trail was open. Ray was able to hike downhill the whole way. The kids and I picked him up near the turnaround at the end of Santa Anita (Road? Avenue?). He started at the Mount Wilson Observatory.

Ray likes a challenge, and said that even though he didn't find the bug, he was glad he made the hike.

On a side note, if anyone in the greater Pasadena area wants to hide some easy caches, that would be great. We didn't cache the rest of the weekend, because Ray was too sore to do much more than 1/1 caches.....

Shannah

Yes, I'm very impressed that Kevin & Susan were able to rescue him. My husband, as Marky mentioned, did try to rescue him, too. The trip was very long, and he still has blisters on his blisters. icon_eek.gif

We were fortunate in that the Chantry Flats portion of the trail was open. Ray was able to hike downhill the whole way. The kids and I picked him up near the turnaround at the end of Santa Anita (Road? Avenue?). He started at the Mount Wilson Observatory.

Ray likes a challenge, and said that even though he didn't find the bug, he was glad he made the hike.

On a side note, if anyone in the greater Pasadena area wants to hide some easy caches, that would be great. We didn't cache the rest of the weekend, because Ray was too sore to do much more than 1/1 caches.....

Shannah