The Armchair Cacher. Have you ever experienced this phenomenon yourself?

DARKSIDEDAN

Yes, more than once. The ones that most spring to mind were PeteandSuzan.

They came undone when they logged a cache and said they did it that afternoon. That cache was a long distance one, which involved a drive from Canberra to Melbourne (over 700kms), then an overnight ferry ride (about 12 hours), then a drive to Hobart (another almost 300kms). All done in an afternoon :blink:. Then they had to repeat all that and return to find the cache back near Canberra. The CO wrote, "I don't think so." I think the CO checked the log before deleting the log. I would have just deleted it, especially as the cache is out in the bush and involves a walk to it. More time to add. Because I had found that cache (I did the drive, ferry ride, etc) I had left a watch on the cache and saw the CO's remark. I checked several of my caches and they had logged caches on the Majura Cycleway series. I checked the logs of my caches and found no signature. Several others checked their caches in the series and found no signatures either. We deleted their logs.

Then this couple (or one person...who knows!) published a cache. Called 'trolls home'.GC7VEKC As if that name wasn't a clue to people, but it seems some people at least didn't get the name. Surprise, surprise, no one ever found this cache. I think someone did a throw down, which I found amusing:laughing:. The CO of course disputed this, as they would know there actually wasn't any cache. They wrote VERY believable logs on their 'finds' and their cache.

They also 'logged' a few other long distant caches, now I believe deleted by the CO.

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Upvote 1
On 11/15/2021 at 6:47 PM, Goldenwattle said:

Yes, more than once. The ones that most spring to mind were PeteandSuzan.

They came undone when they logged a cache and said they did it that afternoon. That cache was a long distance one, which involved a drive from Canberra to Melbourne (over 700kms), then an overnight ferry ride (about 12 hours), then a drive to Hobart (another almost 300kms). All done in an afternoon :blink:. Then they had to repeat all that and return to find the cache back near Canberra. The CO wrote, "I don't think so." I think the CO checked the log before deleting the log. I would have just deleted it, especially as the cache is out in the bush and involves a walk to it. More time to add. Because I had found that cache (I did the drive, ferry ride, etc) I had left a watch on the cache and saw the CO's remark. I checked several of my caches and they had logged caches on the Majura Cycleway series. I checked the logs of my caches and found no signature. Several others checked their caches in the series and found no signatures either. We deleted their logs.

Then this couple (or one person...who knows!) published a cache. Called 'trolls home'.GC7VEKC As if that name wasn't a clue to people, but it seems some people at least didn't get the name. Surprise, surprise, no one ever found this cache :laughing:. I think someone did a throw down, which I found amusing. The CO of course disputed this, as they would know there actually wasn't any cache. They wrote VERY believable logs on their 'finds' and their cache.

They also 'logged' a few other long distant caches, now I believe deleted by the CO.

I personally drove the 90 min each way three times to go and look for 'trolls home'.GC7VEKC. I also spent  3 hours looking for it in total. I can 100% say that that cache never existed. 

1 hour ago, DARKSIDEDAN said:

I personally drove the 90 min each way three times to go and look for 'trolls home'.GC7VEKC. I also spent  3 hours looking for it in total. I can 100% say that that cache never existed. 

Were you responsible for the throw down? It certainly was likely to get a response. Way to test, by the CO's response, if a cache is really there.

1 hour ago, Goldenwattle said:

Were you responsible for the throw down? It certainly was likely to get a response. Way to test, by the CO's response, if a cache is really there.

I did find the throw down but it was not what the CO had described so I knew it was not the Geocache. That was on my 3rd visit where I removed all the Camo (about 500kg of Rocks) by hand and placed it on the Grass next to the bridge. I realized then that there was no cache to find. I then had to replace everything I had moved back to its original location. 

Edited by DARKSIDEDAN
  • Upvote 1