Most Waypoints

On 11/14/2021 at 5:48 PM, Moun10Bike said:

Both GC4AB38 (all hidden) and GC5BCNN have 248 active waypoints. I don't think the current cache submission process allows more than 99. There are 29 total caches (5 of them archived) with 100 or more waypoints.

This has me curious... I wonder if it might be possible to make a challenge cache about finding geocaches that have more than x amount of physical waypoints? :lol:

I'm kidding. Kind of. I am curious. lol

On 11/14/2021 at 11:48 PM, Moun10Bike said:

Both GC4AB38 (all hidden) and GC5BCNN have 248 active waypoints. I don't think the current cache submission process allows more than 99. There are 29 total caches (5 of them archived) with 100 or more waypoints.

Ah, yes: I own one of them: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC8Y39T .

For my next project, I was thinking bigger. It will be a mystery that has many, many more waypoints, although they are more like potential waypoints, to be used in puzzle solving.

Stay tuned for this one.

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1

Oy.

I  recently turned down the opportunity to do an intercache (remember those) that had 30-odd waypoints. There were three others that were looking at it with me. I decided that socializing with friends at an event, and then getting a beer afterward, was more important than chasing down waypoints.

Unless I was part of a very large group, I would have even less patience with a cache that had 100-248 waypoints.

I see these have a good percentage of favorite points. I am glad cachers with more patience than I have enjoyed these. I'm not sure I would have. If that makes me a filthy casual, so be it.

• Upvote 2

One of my geocaches: GC8R4AQ Pocatello Underground has 99 waypoints. I overlaid a map of the London underground with a contrasting map of my town and placed the 99 waypoints where stations would fall in the city. Then the multi cache stages were directions along the London underground network, like "travel northbound 4 stops and transfer to the Central line, eastbound 1 stop" for example. 
People only visit 4 locations including start and final, but having the full 99 means I can get GPS coordinate precision for the stages you need to find without giving the game away.

Pocatello Underground.png

pocatello underground waypoint .jpg

Edited by CheekyBrit
  • Upvote 1
On 11/21/2021 at 12:36 PM, BigFurryMonster said:

Promised you the new geocache with ... well, 400k+ waypoints: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC9JD77

(you don't need to visit them all -- they're part of a puzzle)

These are just a list of coordinates, not (technically) waypoints in the cache listing ;) .

I have solved a few puzzles, which had ridiculous amounts of coordinates in the listing. Usually, you had to plot them all on a map, so that a pattern shows up.

• Helpful 1

There was a ~110 stage multi in my area which I co-ftf'd with a few friends. Non-stop for two nights, and lots of talk with the CO as numerous stages had issues. The cache didn't last long. Being sequential (each stage had coordinates to the next), any problem with one stage and the cache is not findable. Nightmare to maintain.

So maybe there needs to be a distinction - longest linear waypoint multi vs non-linear waypoint multi? :P

• Upvote 1