Puzzling waymarks

I don't think that this question has been addressed before, but what exactly should the coordinates of a future WM in that category be? Take this puzzle for example:

0.jpg.d053737d48412b8ce3702fc7f74a32d5.jpg

It shows the Peterskirche on the left and the St. Stephans Cathedral on the right. Should I try to find the spot where this photo was taken and use these coordinates? Or can I take a similar photo and post one WM for the Peterskirche and one for the St. Stephans Cathedral?

It might sound like a ridiculous question, but somebody mentioned the Grand Canyon. Any coordinates within that canyon will do or should the coordinates be used where the photo was taken?

Interestingly, I found no information about the coordinates in the category description.

Edited by PISA-caching
12 minutes ago, PISA-caching said:

I don't think that this question has been addressed before, but what exactly should the coordinates of a future WM in that category be?

Not sure how Keith and I missed this about the coordinates.  We will edit the category as soon as it goes active. 

The coordinates will be for the location/landmark at the location where you took the picture at the same angle and perspective as shown on the jigsaw puzzle box.

Edited by T0SHEA
On 12/1/2021 at 7:37 AM, T0SHEA said:

"What a nice idea. But what will the coordinates for the waymark be? Will it be coordinates for the puzzle or for the landscape/building etc"

Excellent point. 

We will clarify this after it passes peer review. The coordinates will be for the location/landmark.

Thank you for bring this to our attention. 

Now I'm confused: the coordinates will be for the location/ landmark, or for the spot where the photo was taken?

I understand that this post is just distinguishing between the puzzle and the landmark. But will the coordinates be at the landmark or the viewing location?

Edited by Max and 99
1 hour ago, PISA-caching said:

It shows the Peterskirche on the left and the St. Stephans Cathedral on the right. Should I try to find the spot where this photo was taken and use these coordinates? Or can I take a similar photo and post one WM for the Peterskirche and one for the St. Stephans Cathedral?

It might sound like a ridiculous question, but somebody mentioned the Grand Canyon. Any coordinates within that canyon will do or should the coordinates be used where the photo was taken?

The Grand canyon example is for the South Rim, and yes the picture needs to be at the same location with the same perspective and angle as shown on the jigsaw puzzle box. 

Your other question about Peterskirche on the left and the St. Stephans Cathedral on the right, same applies here the picture needs to be at the same location with the same perspective and angle as shown on the jigsaw puzzle box. In this case only one wm will be allowed. One jigsaw puzzle box, one wm. 

However if you can find a jigsaw puzzle box with just the Peterskirche at a different perspective and angle as shown on the jigsaw puzzle box another of the St. Stephans Cathedral you can do both separately. 

Edited by T0SHEA
3 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Now I'm confused: the coordinates will be for the location/ landmark, or for the spot where the photo was taken?

Sorry if this was not clear. The required picture, at the same angle and perspective as pictured on the jigsaw puzzle box, will be the coordinates at the 'spot" where you took the photo.  This should make it a little easier for visits. 

• Helpful 1

From the requirements:

REQUIRED:

• Coordinates for each Waymark shall be for the "spot" on which one is standing when taking the Waymark's default photo (see below)
  • In addition to the above required photos, you are required to provide a minimum of three (3) additional photos showing the location/landmark. One MUST be a duplicate of the vantage point and perspective of the image on the jigsaw puzzle/brick set box, or as close as possible. Use this image as the default.
Edited by ScroogieII
  • Helpful 1

First, a BIG Thank You (Christmas Colours, in deference to the season) to all who voted in favour of this category's being approved in Peer Review, and to those who clicked on the Nay box. After all you, too, are deserving of thanks for participating and making your voices heard.

As expected, the Puzzles in the Real World category launched with gobs of declines, primarily from folks making vain attempts at bending the rules to the breaking point, some from folks who failed to internalize the entirety of the requirements, others who simply misread one or two important points and still others who were aware of each and every rule and requirement but felt that special exemptions of one sort or another should apply to them. To date they (exemptions, that is) don't. However, should one submit a particularly magnificent Waymark of an especially magnificent location, consideration may well be given to an exemption on such an occasion, but don't count on it. Magnificence remains in the eye of The Reviewer.

Also, as expected, is the fact that the category is already becoming very scenic, a trend that we believe will become the norm as more submissions are made and accepted.

HOWEVER, it must be said that, in order to reduce the percentage of declines I would ask these:

1 - Please make every attempt to find a reproduction of the actual puzzle/model box, as its presence in the gallery is a requirement. We have already had to decline more than one submission which included a photo of, instead of the puzzle/model box, a reproduction of the puzzle itself, supplied by a third party and NOT the puzzle maker. Without a reproduction of the puzzle box, the reviewers must either decline the Waymark or embark upon the research required to ascertain the authenticity of a puzzle/model. The encumbrance of research must fall upon the Waymarker, not the Reviewer.

2 - With regard to Two Dimensional Puzzles, Please refrain from submitting Waymarks whose photos aren't very, very close to the perspective/vantage point of that of the puzzle. They will be declined, we will feel badly about having to decline your Waymark and you will be very much disappointed.

3 - With regard to Three Dimensional Puzzles, a certain amount of imperfection is allowed in the horizontal alignment of your photo with regard to the photo on the puzzle/model. Don't try pushing the envelope, though, as such attempts will inevitably fail.

4. - Though other, similar, categories are quite stringent in the overall requirements with regard to viewpoint/perspective, we must point out that, with regard to 3 Dimensional puzzles/models, we are not at all concerned with the vertical aspect of the viewpoint/perspective. We expect only that, with regard to 3 Dimensional puzzles/models, you do your best to replicate the view depicted on the box, as transposed to a ground level viewpoint/perspective.

5 - As well, we are not nearly as concerned as are other, similar, categories about how a photo may be cropped. In other words, "Give us a photo sufficient to exhibit its proper alignment with that of the puzzle/model in question and it's quite likely to be accepted", other factors notwithstanding. (But don't be pushing the envelope here, either.)

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1

Well, it's half time in the Grey Cup Game, so it must be time for another tangential meander.

I have known about online jigsaw puzzles for awhile now but never paid them any attention. However, while searching for puzzles to match my pix I was constantly running across online puzzle sites. After hours of near misses I decided to actually have a look at one of the sites (actually I tried two of them). I soon discovered to my surprise/horror/amazement that they can become quite addictive, as I'm on about my 15th puzzle as I write this, watching the Grey Cup Game with one eye and doing a puzzle with the other.

Online puzzles have a great number of advantages over the real thing:

One can choose the size of the puzzle one undertakes, thereby accepting the level of frustration one is willing to inflict upon oneself for the day;

One will never have a puzzle piece the exact colour of the floor fall off the table and bounce 15 feet away;

That invisible  piece on the floor is less likely to stick to one's foot and be tracked outside;

It's almost a certainty that, upon completion of a puzzle, one will never discover that it is one piece short;

One can do large expanses of sky, clouds, snow or water and never totally mess oneself up by getting a piece in the wrong place;

The cat is much less likely to run away with a couple of pieces, neglecting to tell one of her misdeed;

There's no need to take the puzzle apart, box it and put away the box after completion.

At present this is my puzzling site of choice.

However, I DO NOT recommend that you click on the link, as you may only open yourself up to yet another addiction, as I have.

Hopefully my addiction will go away with counseling.

Keith

PS - (LATER) - Once again, THE WEST WON!!!!!! :D :lol: :D

Edited by ScroogieII
11 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

I have made quite a few online puzzles to solve some mystery geocaches. So, for me, an online puzzle HAS to give me some coordinates to make me want to solve it. :laughing:

There's a known cacher in my area who makes these puzzles for us to solve. One was published last month, and I'm still working on it. https://coord.info/GC9J317

This is an UPDATE on certain, specific puzzle manufacturers which shall henceforth be deemed unacceptable.

CANCELLED, as further discussion has revealed (some of) the flaw(s) in my mental processes.

After all, it's Christmas - Should I be expected to be firing on all cylinders? I would hope not... ... ...

Anyhow, Happy Boxing Day, All!!

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII