Waymarking Geocoins

Might be a far fetched idea, but with the new 1,000,000th Waymarking geocoin I thought it might be a good idea to incorporate them into Waymarking somehow. Similar to the Waymarking Sticker category, this new category (proposal) would be similar in that your specific geocoin could have its own webpage on the Waymarking site. Discoverers and finders can then log thier visits both on the geocaching site and on the Waymarking site. Thoughts, comments, concerns?

• Funny 3
On 11/3/2021 at 8:40 PM, bluesnote said:

Might be a far fetched idea, but with the new 1,000,000th Waymarking geocoin I thought it might be a good idea to incorporate them into Waymarking somehow. Similar to the Waymarking Sticker category, this new category (proposal) would be similar in that your specific geocoin could have its own webpage on the Waymarking site. Discoverers and finders can then log thier visits both on the geocaching site and on the Waymarking site. Thoughts, comments, concerns?

Nice idea, but I know that coins have limited availability (usually small amounts are created) and mostly the stocks are sold in a couple of months. So when they are sold out, you can't get one. Probably Groundspeak would produce a second set - but that is not sure. And usually the coin form is destroyed after three years, when no other coins were created with it.

Thus new waymarkers would be excluded from posting to the category when the coins are sold out.

How about extending the Waymarking Sticker category for accepting the coins?

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, FamilieFrohne said:

Nice idea, but I know that coins have limited availability (usually small amounts are created) and mostly the stocks are sold in a couple of months. So when they are sold out, you can't get one. Probably Groundspeak would produce a second set - but that is not sure. And usually the coin form is destroyed after three years, when no other coins were created with it.

Thus new waymarkers would be excluded from posting to the category when the coins are sold out.

How about extending the Waymarking Sticker category for accepting the coins?

Seeing that these Waymarking geocoins only really are advertised by the Waymarking community, I don't see these selling out anytime soon. And that said, I really don't see these being "that" limited compared to other popular releases. Assuming that Groundspeak knows this, they likely made less than 1,000 (probably closer to 500) knowing that our community is limited in numbers and available buyers.

This expansion of the existing category I would favor, if the category name (and eventually description) is updated to: Waymarking Stickers, Coins, and Pins

Edited by bluesnote
6 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

What would a visit requirement look like? I assume I get to make up whatever requirements I want, but I'm trying to get an idea of what it might be.

I would suggest some text on the experience of meeting the owner of the coin, including an image of the coin with something identifying the owner and the one who wants to visit. Best would be personal items with the coin or (if they agree) an image of the coin, the owner and the visitor together.

Also you should mention to wipe out the geocoin tracking code in the image for omitting unwanted logs on the geocoin.

12 hours ago, bluesnote said:

Seeing that these Waymarking geocoins only really are advertised by the Waymarking community, I don't see these selling out anytime soon...

Don't forget this coin is also a founders coin (Bryan, Jeremy and Elias) which are very rare and loved by many geocachers!

15 minutes ago, wayfrog said:

Don't forget this coin is also a founders coin (Bryan, Jeremy and Elias) which are very rare and loved by many geocachers!

Cool!  I have a "Jeremy" Trackable Tag, given to me by him, and he also selected my "cool" cache design for a prize at the time!  So I got a tag and cash! :D

But if I bought all the neat Geocoins all the time, I'd be broke.  So unless it's a very awesome "dragon" design, nope.  Which I also need to stop buying all the time. :ph34r:

As for the requirements for this "updated category", I would like to see visits be accompanied by a photo of the geocoin (without the tracking code of course). This should be standard if you are visiting a sticker as well (although stickers do not have tracking codes, but it would be neat if they did).

To prevent people from using the same photo on all geocoin waymarks, I would suggest that it would be required that the visitor submit a "discovered" log on the geocoin's geocaching webpage so that the owner knows they actually did find their geocoin rather than someone else's. The submitter of the waymark could provide a weblink to the geocoin page so it is easier for visitors to track and locate (if the owner decided to put the coin in a cache rather than keep it in their personal collection).

Any other suggestions?

1 minute ago, bluesnote said:

As for the requirements for this "updated category", I would like to see visits be accompanied by a photo of the geocoin (without the tracking code of course). This should be standard if you are visiting a sticker as well (although stickers do not have tracking codes, but it would be neat if they did).

To prevent people from using the same photo on all geocoin waymarks, I would suggest that it would be required that the visitor submit a "discovered" log on the geocoin's geocaching webpage so that the owner knows they actually did find their geocoin rather than someone else's. The submitter of the waymark could provide a weblink to the geocoin page so it is easier for visitors to track and locate (if the owner decided to put the coin in a cache rather than keep it in their personal collection).

Any other suggestions?

It's my waymark and coin so why can't I make up my own visit requirement?

1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

It's my waymark and coin so why can't I make up my own visit requirement?

Each category has their own logging requirements. Surely you, as a waymark owner, can do what you want with them, but at the very least we need some standards for those who wish to follow the logging requirements. Categories nowadays can't be approved without basic logging requirements.

37 minutes ago, bluesnote said:

Each category has their own logging requirements. Surely you, as a waymark owner, can do what you want with them, but at the very least we need some standards for those who wish to follow the logging requirements. Categories nowadays can't be approved without basic logging requirements.

LOL

I wear my Waymarking sticker to GC events and except for the big NTX event in Denton, (where my sticker got a small handful of visits) few others were interested in Waymarking. 

This is why I have not purchased the coin yet - one more thing to haul around for little interest IMO. Sorry 

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz
Expand post
  • Helpful 1