Geocaching in Hawaii

Team Tecmage

Hi Tecmage,

Our family did some geocaching in Hawaii while we were there last summer. It is a place we vacation a lot. Bugs are always something to consider while you are there....mosquito's in some places are abundant while in others places (if you have a good ocean breeze) there are none. I would take bug spray with you and use it when needed. There are a lot of great new caches popping up everywhere out on the islands, you will see places you would have otherwise not seen by geocaching. On Maui we visited a micro climate cache on Haleakela (sp). It was amazing. Don't forget to visit Eddie's Nakalele Blowhole Hidout on Maui (it's mine) icon_razz.gif I have a local geocacher babysitting it for me. It gets lots of hits and people really enjoy the view and sights up there. It is a great place to catch a sunset alone. Hope you both enjoy your vacation (how could you do otherwise)! Mahalo!

Hi Tecmage,

Our family did some geocaching in Hawaii while we were there last summer. It is a place we vacation a lot. Bugs are always something to consider while you are there....mosquito's in some places are abundant while in others places (if you have a good ocean breeze) there are none. I would take bug spray with you and use it when needed. There are a lot of great new caches popping up everywhere out on the islands, you will see places you would have otherwise not seen by geocaching. On Maui we visited a micro climate cache on Haleakela (sp). It was amazing. Don't forget to visit Eddie's Nakalele Blowhole Hidout on Maui (it's mine) icon_razz.gif I have a local geocacher babysitting it for me. It gets lots of hits and people really enjoy the view and sights up there. It is a great place to catch a sunset alone. Hope you both enjoy your vacation (how could you do otherwise)! Mahalo!

Thanks McIrish,

We're going to spend one day on Maui, and going up Halekala is our goal! I read that traffic on Maui can be brutal, and therefore, we probably would get a chance to hit too many caches there (we've got about eight hours to get up Halekala, Geocache, and sightsee). icon_frown.gif

We're going to be on Ohau for several days. Getting to The Arizona Memorial and going up Diamondhead are musts.

Richard

Thanks McIrish,

We're going to spend one day on Maui, and going up Halekala is our goal! I read that traffic on Maui can be brutal, and therefore, we probably would get a chance to hit too many caches there (we've got about eight hours to get up Halekala, Geocache, and sightsee). icon_frown.gif

We're going to be on Ohau for several days. Getting to The Arizona Memorial and going up Diamondhead are musts.

Richard

As a general rule, if the cache is near the shore or along a ridge trail, you can do without the bug spray. If the cache is in a valley, you might want to bring extra plasma. icon_wink.gif

I don't use any bug spray when I cache as the mosquitos don't bother me (oh they bite me, I am just not bothered by it). Those who cache with me though are bugged by mosquitos and generally complain only when going after valley caches.

Also look at the logs. People seem to mention the mosquitos if there are a lot of them on a particular cache.

Aloha and enjoy your stay.

As a general rule, if the cache is near the shore or along a ridge trail, you can do without the bug spray. If the cache is in a valley, you might want to bring extra plasma. icon_wink.gif

I don't use any bug spray when I cache as the mosquitos don't bother me (oh they bite me, I am just not bothered by it). Those who cache with me though are bugged by mosquitos and generally complain only when going after valley caches.

Also look at the logs. People seem to mention the mosquitos if there are a lot of them on a particular cache.

Aloha and enjoy your stay.

The are some great mountain caches in Ohau. Rain and mud were as much an issue as bugs. Take a pair of shoes you can trash. You may be able to wear "treking" type of sandles, but I would not recomend it. We had a great time on both beach and mountain treks. Enjoy!!!!

If you're going to be on Maui, a short (but pleasurable) ride on the ferry to Molokai for the day would be a nice diversion. As of today, there are three caches on the island. All are located at great points of interest and can be included in a nice day's trip. And I guarantee you won't have any traffic problems! icon_smile.gif

Have a wonderful time! (how could you not?)

----------------------

The shore is an ancient world, for as long as there has been an earth and sea, there has been this place of the meeting of land and water. -Rachel Carson

If you're going to be on Maui, a short (but pleasurable) ride on the ferry to Molokai for the day would be a nice diversion. As of today, there are three caches on the island. All are located at great points of interest and can be included in a nice day's trip. And I guarantee you won't have any traffic problems! icon_smile.gif

Have a wonderful time! (how could you not?)

----------------------

The shore is an ancient world, for as long as there has been an earth and sea, there has been this place of the meeting of land and water. -Rachel Carson