SnagTheTag Game

OCamera

5 minutes ago, OCamera said:

I was wondering what people think of the SnagTheTag game?  Pros and cons.

I first learned about it at the GCF in Issaquah, WA but there hasn't been any tags hidden in my area until recently.

Some pros and cons are discussed in these previous forum discussions about snag the tag. The mammoth was my first time being involved in snag the tag.

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/355667-mission-mammoth/

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/360529-knights-templar-and-sherlock-snag-the-tag/

Edited by Max and 99

I've participated in every game since the mammoth which is when I first heard of it. I've enjoyed hiding the tags and being creative with them. But it's pricey and I may sit this next one out.

Not everyone follows the rules unfortunately. Some make them extremely difficult terrain, and some place them in geocaches. Sometimes the person who finds it doesn't log it for 24 hours. 

10 minutes ago, OCamera said:

Max and 99:

What is the price range of these hider packs?  I inquired about one of them (don't recall which game) but they were already sold out.

Well the next game hider packs start selling November 2nd. I'll check on how much I paid.

Hider packs I paid for are approximately $40-$50, but that can vary depending on what company is selling them and the coins themselves.

You get one for yourself and two to hide.

Redemption tag shipping is about $6 to US states. 

The way I see it I am paying for my tag plus the two tags I hide, plus the two tags that the finders get to redeem. They pay for the shipping themselves. 

Edited by Max and 99
  • Surprised 1
13 minutes ago, OCamera said:

Max and 99:

What is the price range of these hider packs?  I inquired about one of them (don't recall which game) but they were already sold out.

Hider packs sell very quickly! I believe this next game the tags are being sold by Groundspeak and go on sale November 2nd. This one will be a worldwide game.

They haven't specifically stated it for this game but often when there's two different tags you can be a finder of one and a hider of the other. 

8 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

They haven't specifically stated it for this game but often when there's two different tags you can be a finder of one and a hider of the other. 

This next game is just that. High and Low, so there will be High tags and Low tags. If you're a hider for one, you can't be a finder for them (plus you purchased the complete set already as well, as a hider).  If you hide both, you won't need to find either.  If you hide none, you can find both. If you hide one, you can find the other. 

So yeah basically this setup, which was also used for Agent 2020 and Sherlock, is two 'games' in one, and if you're a hider for one 'game', you can't find the same.

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2021/11/snag-the-tag-geocaching-high-and-low-2/

Looking for even more location-based game opportunities? Well, we’ve got news for you! Snag the Tag has a new game starting on November 19. Launched in 2018 by two avid geocachers, Snag the Tag is an outdoor activity similar to geocaching with a competitive edge. Like geocaching, there are hiders and finders. A hider purchases a hider packet from Shop Geocaching or a participating distribution partner and then hides the tags from their packet. The finders sign up at Snag the Tag to learn the locations of the hides and then it’s a race to find the hidden tags (note: the tags are not placed in geocaches).

The theme of this Snag the Tag game is Geocaching High and Low in celebration of the inter-planetary heights that geocaching reached with a trackable traveling to Mars and the thrilling depths achieved with a geocache placed at the Mariana Trench. Players will be on the hunt for two tags, a “High” tag featuring Signal the Frog® on Mars and a “Low” tag featuring Signal in a submarine.

How to participate:

For hiders

To hide tags for this Snag the Tag game, players must first purchase a hider packet from Shop Geocaching or a participating distributor partner. Each hider pack includes one geocoin and tag set for the hider to keep and two tags for the hider to hide.

Once the hider has their hider packet, they can hide the two tags at locations of their choosing.

Finally, the hider must create an account on Snag the Tag’s website, sign up for the game, and register the hiding locations of their two tags so that finders can start looking for them.

For finders

To participate in the Snag the Tag game, finders must register for the game by creating an account on Snag the Tag’s website.

The locations of hidden tags will start being published on November 19, 2021 and the game will last through January 24, 2022.

A map on the Snag the Tag website will show the coordinate locations of hidden tags around the world. Players can also receive email notifications when the location of a newly hidden tag is published.

Once a player finds a tag, they must claim it (using the code on the back) as soon as possible to remove it from the map.

Players who find a tag can redeem it to earn a unique trackable High/Low geocoin that matches the tag. Rules for redeeming will vary by country.

Visit the Snag the Tag website to learn more or contact them at support@snagthetag.com.

Edited by Max and 99
On 12/28/2021 at 7:24 PM, Max and 99 said:

I thought I had read somewhere (maybe the hider instructions?) that tags should be low D/T. Anyone know where that information is?

The high terrain one near me hasn't been picked up in days!

I never found a specific D/T but saw this posted for hiders on the STT website:

What are the rules for hiding a tag?

1. Hide on public property close to parking. Do not place in a geocache.
  2. Note the number on the tag.
  3. Take accurate GPS coordinates.
  4. Snap a photo or two of the location to use in your listing. 
  5. Make sure the tag is secure and can last up to two weeks “in the wild.”

24 minutes ago, outdoorsoccer said:

I never found a specific D/T but saw this posted for hiders on the STT website:

What are the rules for hiding a tag?

1. Hide on public property close to parking. Do not place in a geocache.
  2. Note the number on the tag.
  3. Take accurate GPS coordinates.
  4. Snap a photo or two of the location to use in your listing. 
  5. Make sure the tag is secure and can last up to two weeks “in the wild.”

I think it was in a hider letter so I have to go searching for it.

5 hours ago, outdoorsoccer said:

I found an old one (Agent Burn) and it basically says the same thing as the website.  I’ll see if I can find a more recent one. 

Don't bother. I'm probably just imagining it!

Edit: I found the easy terrain reference! 1.5/1.5 is what most are, but as stated, it's up to the  hider.

Snag the Tag terrain.png

Edited by Max and 99
1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:

It'll arrive before the game's over, of course (assuming delivery goes as intended). Remember publishing is randomized, so as long as you hide it before the game is done, it'll get published. There have been some publishes so far.

Well I certainly hope so! That gives them 8 1/2 months to get it shipped to me.