New Souveneirs

Long_Lost_Cacher

Just wanted to get everyone's feedback. I recently emailed geocaching hq with a suggestion that it would be nice to automatically get souvenirs for completing the following challenges: the difficulty/terrain chart, finds for each day of the year, completing finds by hidden date grid, completing finds by hidden month grid, collecting all available attributes (maybe excluding partnership and lost and found attributes). They suggested I get feedback from the forums and directed me here. I realize this info is our project gc profiles/statistics.  I thought it would be an improvement to add additional souvenirs to recognize the hard work cachers put into meeting these challenges over a period of several years. Please let me know your thoughts. 

Sincerely, 

Long_Lost_Cacher

• Funny 2
2 hours ago, Long_Lost_Cacher said:

Just wanted to get everyone's feedback. I recently emailed geocaching hq with a suggestion that it would be nice to automatically get souvenirs for completing the following challenges: the difficulty/terrain chart, finds for each day of the year, completing finds by hidden date grid, completing finds by hidden month grid, collecting all available attributes (maybe excluding partnership and lost and found attributes). They suggested I get feedback from the forums and directed me here. I realize this info is our project gc profiles/statistics.  I thought it would be an improvement to add additional souvenirs to recognize the hard work cachers put into meeting these challenges over a period of several years. Please let me know your thoughts. 

Sincerely, 

Long_Lost_Cacher

I would not be interested in any of those souvenirs.

• Upvote 4

For me, the hobby has already veered enough into a game,  with at least two third-party sites to present "stats".    :)

We've found a bunch of folks completing their "stats", some because another rigged the system to help. 

-  D/T grid a good example.    I'd rather we didn't create yet-another way to tempt good folks.    No thanks... 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Why not? Seems as good as any other souvenir they've invented. I don't even understand why they sent you to gather input: either it agrees with their ideas of what souvenirs should be or it doesn't. I can't even imagine what kind of input would be interesting to them, other than looking for reactions like cerberus1's to get ammunition to shoot the idea down.

• Upvote 2
43 minutes ago, dprovan said:

I don't even understand why they sent you to gather input

Me neither. Groundspeak doesn't even use our input majority of the time. Good example are the Geocache Quality Survey and Adventure Lab Feedbacks...

On topic :

project-gc already do with their badges so just copy-paste them in your profile instead. Also, Groundspeak doesn't even have enough staff for Quality Control on Souvenir (Earthcache souvenir fiasco) so good luck finding staff time for implementing this new feature. Also like cerberus1 said don't gave people more ways to rigg the system.

• Upvote 2

Given the recent introduction of grid-filling tools on the Profile statistics page and now in the Search filters, I wouldn't be surprised if they started giving out grid-filled souvenirs. This isn't something I'd be interested in, but since I'm not much good at D4+ puzzles and well-concealed nanos, my last two rows are likely to look like Swiss cheese for the foreseeable future so whether or not there's a souvenir would be irrelevant. Much the same goes for the calendar stuff, really about the only statistic I pay much attention to is my find count milestones as I like to do something special for those when they come around.

There are already lots of challenge caches based on grid and calendar filling so throwing in souvenirs on top of those would seem like doubling up I guess.