Hawaii Cache Advice

Utahbill

I just moved to CA from HI. Unfortunately, I didn't get into geocaching until I moved to California... a shame, I know! But I can give you advice to some great areas. Besides, I worked in travel publishing. icon_biggrin.gif

I will assume that you will be staying in Waikiki. Call me on this if I'm wrong.

Fairly close to Waikiki, Makapu'u point is a great place to head for some beautful views. It's also right where Sea Life Park is, if you are visiting. Here is a cache around that area, GC2A70. Or if you're feeling adventurous, GC5442.

If you are willing to go to the Windward side of the island, I highly recommend one with a view of Kailua/Kaneohe, like GC2A69, or GC3635. This is an area not to be missed. I used to live there, so I'm impartial, but it is truly one of the most beautiful areas on the island of O'ahu.

Hope this gives you a good start. If you need any travel advice, feel free to contact me. Or visit thisweek.com (a site that I designed and still administer) for comprehensive information on the islands.

-cp

I just moved to CA from HI. Unfortunately, I didn't get into geocaching until I moved to California... a shame, I know! But I can give you advice to some great areas. Besides, I worked in travel publishing. icon_biggrin.gif

I will assume that you will be staying in Waikiki. Call me on this if I'm wrong.

Fairly close to Waikiki, Makapu'u point is a great place to head for some beautful views. It's also right where Sea Life Park is, if you are visiting. Here is a cache around that area, GC2A70. Or if you're feeling adventurous, GC5442.

If you are willing to go to the Windward side of the island, I highly recommend one with a view of Kailua/Kaneohe, like GC2A69, or GC3635. This is an area not to be missed. I used to live there, so I'm impartial, but it is truly one of the most beautiful areas on the island of O'ahu.

Hope this gives you a good start. If you need any travel advice, feel free to contact me. Or visit thisweek.com (a site that I designed and still administer) for comprehensive information on the islands.

-cp

Sea Life Park is a great family attraction. It actually is worth to go out that way to see the views from that side of the island... Makapu'u beach has great tidepools, and the lighthouse there also has great views. The park itself is kind of like Sea World/Marine World, only on a smaller scale, and includes a lot of indigenous marine life.

Hi Courtney,

I grew up on Oahu myself also. I wish this had been going when I was there. I sure have big plans for when I return to visit home to find the caches next to my old stomping grounds. I lived in Kahala and my mom worked in Waikiki. But I agree, the Makapu point side of the island was beautiful. Actually, I liked Paradise Park, myself. Last time I went back, it was closed down and nature had almost reclaimed the whole area. It reminded me of Jurassic Park. I bet that would be a sweet place for a cache.

I lived in the Bay Area, Mill Valley to be exact, but now live in Los Angeles. I can't wait to go back up north and hit some caches also.

Nice to meet you.

Everywhere that cache is found,

Bound to Cover Just a Little More Ground.

-Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

Hi again Courtney,

We will definetly check out the sea life park. Last time we were there we hiked to the Makapu'u light house it was great. The view was awsome and whales were surfacing in the ocean below. It was very memorable.

Aloha,

Bill

quote:
Originally posted by The Heavenly Host:

Actually, I liked Paradise Park, myself. Last time I went back, it was closed down and nature had almost reclaimed the whole area. It reminded me of Jurassic Park. I bet that would be a sweet place for a cache.

I lived in the Bay Area, Mill Valley to be exact, but now live in Los Angeles. I can't wait to go back up north and hit some caches also.

Nice to meet you.

It's a small world after all. icon_smile.gif

I never went to Paradise Park... where exactly is it?

I also lived in Mill Valley, around 1997-1999... it's an even smaller world!

quote:
Originally posted by The Heavenly Host:

Actually, I liked Paradise Park, myself. Last time I went back, it was closed down and nature had almost reclaimed the whole area. It reminded me of Jurassic Park. I bet that would be a sweet place for a cache.

Nice to meet you.

It's a small world after all. icon_smile.gif

I never went to Paradise Park... where exactly is it?

I also lived in Mill Valley, around 1997-1999... it's an even smaller world!

I found this at Hitchhiker's Guide to Oahu

If you don't have a car you can take a #5 bus to Paradise Park in the back of Manoa Valley, walk up the road to the Manoa Falls Trail. It is a short muddy hike to the falls. Just before the falls look for a switchback trail which climbs to Pauoa Flats and the Tantalus area trails.

Here is another link with a map past the park. ARBORETUM

It is a nice trail through the remains of what, at the time, was as big an attraction as Sea Life Park. Whenever relatives would visit, we would take them to each park. I was very shocked to see it gone. Now, it looks like the ruins of Jurassic Park when the plants and animals have reclaimed the land. Through the trees, you can see old walkways with railings and the snack bar etc. Kind of spooky, but neat. At the end of the hike, there is a really nice waterfall. As with most hikes, this is a great opportunity for cache in, trash out.

I was really surprised to see how much litter is in Hawaii. After living in Marin, I thought that litter/smoking etc. were things of the past. I invented the memory that Hawaii was this natural paradise where they had solved the litter problem. I was rudely awakened to find that many people just drop stuff out of their car windows while driving and many of the beaches and attractions I went back to see had trash all over them. Maybe cachers could invigorate the cleanup trend. Well, I digress.

Talk to you later.

-Dru

Everywhere that cache is found,

Bound to Cover Just a Little More Ground.

-Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

quote:
Originally posted by putt:

We are planning to be in Lihue, Kauai in February. Any cache hints for this local? icon_cool.gif

Flew over to Kauai last weekend. Did 7 in a day, in this order...

Last Kukui, Spouting Horn, Light of the God Lono, Swinging Bridge, Welcome to Jurassic Park, Papa Bear, Wild Life.

Quarry's Secret Beach was attempted, but we ran out of light and had to get back to the airport, view my logs for more details.

Most of the caches were quick drive-by caches. If you have a vehicle with good ground clearance, Jurassic Park is great fun to drive to, which made it my favorite (but I live on Oahu where all the roads are paved).

Hope this helps.

quote:
Originally posted by putt:

We are planning to be in Lihue, Kauai in February. Any cache hints for this local? icon_cool.gif

I'll be in Kauai in February also! I just booked my flight this evening and now I'm trying to figure out the best caches to get in while there (2/21 to 2/28 and then 2 days on the Big Island). I'd love to hear any advice you may have...

lisa4pride