Looking for GPS recommendations, more details in description.

First of all if this sort of post isn't allowed let me know and I'll delete it! 

I'm a fairly new geocacher, new enough I don't really know what I'm doing, but not so new I don't know caching etiquette or haven't learnt the hard way in torrential downpour that cellphone gps is not very accurate. 

My budget is extremely low but I'm not looking for much. My only requests are as cheap as possible (I'm a broke university student), accuracy under heavy tree cover (Canadian forests are pretty dense), and can use the gpx files from geocaching. 

Thanks for the help and happy caching! 

- Yan 

Edited by yaNasteeONT

I'd get a waterproof case for your cellphone.  :)  All modern cellphones and dedicated GPS units are pretty similar for accuracy.

The default Groundspeak app will (I think) accept GPX files.  For extra functionality, look at the 3rd-party caching apps, notably Locus Map on Android, and Cachly on iOS.  These latter apps work perfectly well offline (without cell signal) if that's how you prefer to work.

I've been happily caching for years in Canadian forests with a ruggedized Android phone, no case needed.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, yaNasteeONT said:

First of all if this sort of post isn't allowed let me know and I'll delete it! 

I'm a fairly new geocacher, new enough I don't really know what I'm doing, but not so new I don't know caching etiquette or haven't learnt the hard way in torrential downpour that cellphone gps is not very accurate. 

My budget is extremely low but I'm not looking for much. My only requests are as cheap as possible (I'm a broke university student), accuracy under heavy tree cover (Canadian forests are pretty dense), and can use the gpx files from geocaching. 

Thanks for the help and happy caching! 

- Yan 

See the many discussions around the Forum for the cheapest handhelds that aren't too basic.

You may be able to borrow a friend's or relative's GPSr for free.  Using that as a baseline, you can decide what features you need or use.

Look at the Garmin Etrex line.  See Etrex 22x and 32x.  Either one may be suitable, plus it fits in a pocket.  Look around for a used one in good condition, save up for it.  And check out models like the GPSMAP 62st, where you can get a great deal on a used one.

• Upvote 1

Similar to the other two, I'd say if you're comfortable with your phone, use it for all those 1.5/1.5 or less caches if you're not going premium.

I'm still using a GPSr that's been long-discontinued, and still load caches manually,  so I'd look at "cheap" and good reviews.

TBO, by year I'd say anything from '05 > on will work.  What you're comfortable using (buttons or touchscreen) and price mean more than what year it was made (I feel). 

We've cached with more than a few people who didn't understand why we were standing there, when his brand-new play toy had him 25 feet off.   :)

Civilian GPS hasn't changed much since it started, at around ten feet "accuracy". 

I borrowed a relatively new phone, and only used it for caching once.  I might use mine if doing questions on Earthcaches though.   ;)

I generally wouldn't recommend a smartphone as I think the overall experience is far less enjoyable than with a handheld, BUT, they are the more affordable option (assuming you already have one), and in your case, it would probably do just fine.

The big problem I have with smartphones though is that they tend to make everything far too easy, almost to the point where it's just boring, and if you're new the sport, you might become bored of it more quickly. My suggestion would be to use the smartphone for now out of necessity, and save some money for a decent handheld GPSr. 

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000
  • Funny 1

The Garmin Oregon 700 is the best bang for the buck, but is now discontinued and still likely more bucks than you want to part with.

Do avoid the inexpensive eTrex 10, as the bitter disappointment of a lack of features and functionality will far outlast the sweet taste of low price.

For just a few dollars more,  the eTrex Touch  offers smooth touch screen operation with all the features you requested.

Don't overlook the Etrex 10. Sure it's basic, but is rugged, has long battery life, is accurate, can be used in strong daylight, can store about 300 GPX files and costs peanuts. I started out with one but, as I was not a cash strapped student, I could afford to upgrade later to an Etrex 20 and still use one 8 years later.