Placing a cache in a Little Free Library

ChunkyMunky007

44 minutes ago, ChunkyMunky007 said:

I want to place a cache in a Little Free Library, but I am not sure if I need permission to place one in there. I also don't know how to contact the owner of the Little Free Library. Does anyone know if you need permission and/or how to contact the owner?

I have contacted many stewards of little free libraries by using the little free library website, going to the listing of the little Free library, and using the email address provided. If the listing does not provide this information then I mail them a letter at the address where it is located.

P.S. Oh you most definitely need permission! 

We had a local library that gave permission for geocache to be placed there, but for some reason they changed their mind and asked that it be taken away. I think maybe they didn't like extra traffic, but I could be totally wrong.

Edited by Max and 99
46 minutes ago, ChunkyMunky007 said:

I want to place a cache in a Little Free Library, but I am not sure if I need permission to place one in there. I also don't know how to contact the owner of the Little Free Library. Does anyone know if you need permission and/or how to contact the owner?

Does the Little Free Library have a plaque with a number on it? 

chartersigns2015.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

If so it will likely be on the Little Free Library Map which will give you contact email information for the owner. 

Most LFLs are on the owner's property (usually on the lawn near the sidewalk) but if it's in a park and doesn't have a plaque, you might try contacting the city. 

Edited by L0ne.R
  • Helpful 2
3 hours ago, mysterion604 said:

Not all LFL's are official, i.e. part of that organization's maps, but yes, get permission.

A friend of mine placed a cache on an LFL which was not her own, but once permission was received, she applied for her cache and got it published in just a day or two because the reviewers could see the proof of permission.

To be official and on the map, you must pay for a charter number, FYI. Our two are registered because we wanted them to be easier to locate… but there are a lot that you find by randomly passing by!

One way you could get permission if you can’t go through the LFL map is to leave a note or entry in the guest book in the library, if there is one. We sometimes use notes on the door to communicate back and forth - for instance, when one of our containers was taken, we left a plea to return it, and it worked! If someone wants to donate books or something, they sometimes leave us a note. 

• Helpful 2