Delete my Adventure Lab

Feivel_

5 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

Never delete your Adventure Lab you will f*** up the system.

So why do they provide this button in the builder?

image.png.a2026baa393bec9b732822d2d857b659.png

Oh yes, of course, there is no why.

4 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Why do you want to delete the adventure lab? You can turn it off, but what is the problem? 

Adventures can have a limited life, for example signs get removed, buildings demolished and public places get converted into private establishments. One of my ALs, Wreck of the Maitland, probably has a limited lifespan as eventually the remaining relics of the 1898 shipwreck will disappear, so I've sometimes wondered what the proper thing to do is when that time comes. If I just set it to Off, which I guess is what you're meant to do, the region loses an AL which can't be replaced since it'll still count against my credits. But I suspect deleting it would also delete all the finds on it so I'm not game to try. There really needs to be something equivalent to archiving a cache, where the listing and finds still exist but the owner gets the credit back to use elsewhere, otherwise eventually when all a region's ALs get turned off there'll be nothing left.

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

So why do they provide this button in the builder?

image.png.a2026baa393bec9b732822d2d857b659.png

Oh yes, of course, there is no why.

Adventures can have a limited life, for example signs get removed, buildings demolished and public places get converted into private establishments. One of my ALs, Wreck of the Maitland, probably has a limited lifespan as eventually the remaining relics of the 1898 shipwreck will disappear, so I've sometimes wondered what the proper thing to do is when that time comes. If I just set it to Off, which I guess is what you're meant to do, the region loses an AL which can't be replaced since it'll still count against my credits. But I suspect deleting it would also delete all the finds on it so I'm not game to try. There really needs to be something equivalent to archiving a cache, where the listing and finds still exist but the owner gets the credit back to use elsewhere, otherwise eventually when all a region's ALs get turned off there'll be nothing left.

I would love to learn more, and hear from HQ. 

I do not want to tell Fievel anything incorrect. 

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1

Here's a real-world example of what can happen. I have a multi (GC879J3) set in the local Peninsula Recreation Precinct which involves collecting information from an assortment of activities signposts like this one:

20180816_111601.jpg.59b178fc2976182e49eed42c07626c00.jpg

I created that cache in May 2019 but a few months later plans were announced to convert much of the precinct into a world-class skateboarding theme park. In typical government fashion, nothing has actually happened in the intervening two years, but eventually when the bulldozers move in I'll be archiving that cache. But had that been an AL instead of a multi, what would be the proper thing to do? It couldn't just be rejigged after the construction is complete (who knows how many years that will take) as the chances are there won't be any similar signage in the new park, and even if there is, it'd be a totally different experience worthy of a new AL, but that can't happen if the credit remains tied up in the switched-off and unplayable original one.

2 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Here's a real-world example of what can happen. I have a multi (GC879J3) set in the local Peninsula Recreation Precinct which involves collecting information from an assortment of activities signposts like this one:

20180816_111601.jpg.59b178fc2976182e49eed42c07626c00.jpg

I created that cache in May 2019 but a few months later plans were announced to convert much of the precinct into a world-class skateboarding theme park. In typical government fashion, nothing has actually happened in the intervening two years, but eventually when the bulldozers move in I'll be archiving that cache. But had that been an AL instead of a multi, what would be the proper thing to do? It couldn't just be rejigged after the construction is complete (who knows how many years that will take) as the chances are there won't be any similar signage in the new park, and even if there is, it'd be a totally different experience worthy of a new AL, but that can't happen if the credit remains tied up in the switched-off and unplayable original one.

I totally understand and agree. I wonder what HQ has to say about this. 

• Funny 1

In a similar vein, I have created an AL that was "outside my comfort zone" and may not be working out as well as I hoped.  It seems to cause confusion because it requires some intuitive thinking rather than just counting windows.  I'd like to be able to close it and re-use the credit for a different location in a more "traditional" subject matter.  Is that possible?  Should I even worry about it since credits seems to be awarded on a regular basis?

Thanks for your input.

Obilon

• Funny 1
On 3/29/2022 at 11:13 PM, barefootjeff said:

when an AL is no longer viable, should it be deleted or just left turned off forever?

It's not different than any other cache.  If you archive a cache, it will remain within the system forever, it will not disappear.

Therefore, turn it off, don't delete.

Edited by Mausebiber
4 hours ago, Mausebiber said:

It's not different than any other cache.  If you archive a cache, it will remain within the system forever, it will not disappear.

Therefore, turn it off, don't delete.

An archived cache can still be viewed if you know its GC code, or in your list of finds if you found it or through its owner's profile, but you can do none of that with a deleted AL. Neither the Help Centre nor the AL Builder says anything about what happens when you delete an AL or under what circumstances you should do it.

At present, new credits are only given out to those who don't have any of their existing credits turned off, so if you just leave a defunct AL turned off forever, you'll never get another credit.

Edited by barefootjeff
10 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

An archived cache can still be viewed if you know its GC code, or in your list of finds if you found it or through its owner's profile, but you can do none of that with a deleted AL.

That's why I said do NOT delete, just disable

Neither the Help Centre nor the AL Builder says anything about what happens when you delete an AL

It says, that it will screw-up the system especially the points for users who have completed the Al in question.

At present, new credits are only given out to those who don't have any of their existing credits turned off, so if you just leave a defunct AL turned off forever, you'll never get another credit.

That's not how I read the help center:

We occasionally provide opportunities to receive additional credits. There is no need for users to request additional credits. Credits are generally distributed using a random selection (with geographic distribution).

In most cases, all creators who have created a public Adventure and have no available credits or Adventures turned “off” or “private” are eligible and are automatically entered in the selection process.

You still can apply for a credit, just the automated process, the random selection, does not work for those.

Edited by Mausebiber
43 minutes ago, Mausebiber said:

Neither the Help Centre nor the AL Builder says anything about what happens when you delete an AL

It says, that it will screw-up the system especially the points for users who have completed the Al in question.

No, it says not to delete or add LOCATIONS in an AL.

image.png.667e4ade5ae8bd7ebe6e8990d682e8ed.png

It says nothing at all about what happens when the AL itself is deleted, and in fact a lackey has recently said in the forums that deleting an AL does NOT delete the finds of those who have completed it.

46 minutes ago, Mausebiber said:

You still can apply for a credit, just the automated process, the random selection, does not work for those.

Maybe I'm wrong, but my understanding is that, once you have initially applied for a credit, any further applications are ignored as you're already on their list of participants.

So - am I correct in understanding that you can in fact MOVE the AL and all the stages.  BUT - if you do that, the cachers who found the first, original locations will not be able to find and get credit for finding the new locations, even if the name of the AL and the stage locations have changed?

I have had to change the stops in a Wherigo so have renamed the cartridge and cachers who had found the first one could then find the second and get another smiley.  

Is this not the same scenario or am I missing something totally obvious?  Must be a poor computer database program that HQ is using.

28 minutes ago, HwyGuy said:

So - am I correct in understanding that you can in fact MOVE the AL and all the stages.  BUT - if you do that, the cachers who found the first, original locations will not be able to find and get credit for finding the new locations, even if the name of the AL and the stage locations have changed?

I have had to change the stops in a Wherigo so have renamed the cartridge and cachers who had found the first one could then find the second and get another smiley.  

Is this not the same scenario or am I missing something totally obvious?  Must be a poor computer database program that HQ is using.

The answer be yes. You can move, edit everything on your AL Name, coords, questions, answers, photos. EVERYTHING.

I have completed an AL, of which I have never been to any of the locations.  The cell reception was terrible, so the owner changed every single thing about the AL.

And you are correct: I cannot visit those new locations and do the AL again.

Edited by Max and 99
On 3/6/2023 at 1:56 PM, HwyGuy said:

Players could get a second smiley precisely because you released a second geocache (as in, submitted a completely separate listing for review.) The new geocache has a new GC code, different from the previous geocache.

Editing an AL or AL stage is like editing a cache page. For instance, you can always edit the title, D/T rating, attributes, coordinates, description, etc. of a published cache. Individuals who have already found the cache won't notice, because they've already found it.

Archiving and re-publishing an AL as brand-new is possible, but will use up one of your credits.