Coronado National Forest closure

For those that haven't heard, the Coronado National Forest, outside of Tucson, AZ has been closed due to very extreme fire danger. As you may have heard, we have a very bad fire currently burning on Mt. Lemmon.

We have 2 caches that are within the boundries of Coronado and have temporarily disabled them. If you have a cache that is in the Coronado or you have to drive through the forest to get to a cache, you might want to temporarily disable the cache.

The forest closure will remain in effect until we see of rain which will most likely be the middle of July at the earliest.

Scott

Team My Blue Heaven

I have the feeling that Scary is gone. The Bullock fire was right at the San Pedro Vista a couple of days ago. I hope they determine who the scumbag was that started that fire, there is no excuse for not taking care of a campfire or for throwing cig butts on the ground. icon_mad.gif

Csquared - Tim & Karen

I have the feeling that Scary is gone. The Bullock fire was right at the San Pedro Vista a couple of days ago. I hope they determine who the scumbag was that started that fire, there is no excuse for not taking care of a campfire or for throwing cig butts on the ground. icon_mad.gif

Csquared - Tim & Karen

quote:
Originally posted by Cachemere:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=6241 is in the Coronado. We've updated her page to reflect her predicament.

Sad thing is, we were planning a rescue trip for this weekend to get her out of the NF and on to another cache. Now, we wish we'd been able to go this past weekend. icon_frown.gif

I looked at some of the other caches that are in Coronado and there are a number of travel bugs that I suspect will have to sit the summer out. I have disabled both of the caches that I have in Coronado, even though one of them is only 15 feet inside the boundry, as I don't want to see anyone get in any trouble by trying to find them. I only hope that others that have caches in Coronado also disable them for the time being.

Scott

quote:
Originally posted by Cachemere:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=6241 is in the Coronado. We've updated her page to reflect her predicament.

Sad thing is, we were planning a rescue trip for this weekend to get her out of the NF and on to another cache. Now, we wish we'd been able to go this past weekend. icon_frown.gif

I looked at some of the other caches that are in Coronado and there are a number of travel bugs that I suspect will have to sit the summer out. I have disabled both of the caches that I have in Coronado, even though one of them is only 15 feet inside the boundry, as I don't want to see anyone get in any trouble by trying to find them. I only hope that others that have caches in Coronado also disable them for the time being.

Scott

quote:
Originally posted by TimC:

I have the feeling that http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=10827 is gone. The Bullock fire was right at the San Pedro Vista a couple of days ago. I hope they determine who the scumbag was that started that fire, there is no excuse for not taking care of a campfire or for throwing cig butts on the ground. icon_mad.gif

Csquared - Tim & Karen

I suspect that you are right about that one. Scary is one of the few caches that we were un-able to find the first time out. Sadly we haven't been able to get back now that the coordinates have been updated. Given the condition of that hillside when we were there over the winter, a single spark and it will be gone.

I sent the cache owners an e-mail to give them a heads up about their cache, they are not from Tucson, but have yet to hear back from them.

Scott

quote:
Originally posted by TimC:

I have the feeling that http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=10827 is gone. The Bullock fire was right at the San Pedro Vista a couple of days ago. I hope they determine who the scumbag was that started that fire, there is no excuse for not taking care of a campfire or for throwing cig butts on the ground. icon_mad.gif

Csquared - Tim & Karen

I suspect that you are right about that one. Scary is one of the few caches that we were un-able to find the first time out. Sadly we haven't been able to get back now that the coordinates have been updated. Given the condition of that hillside when we were there over the winter, a single spark and it will be gone.

I sent the cache owners an e-mail to give them a heads up about their cache, they are not from Tucson, but have yet to hear back from them.

Scott

I was browsing the forum when I stumbled on to your thread and then started checking out the Coronado Forest web site. We were planning to travel to Arizona to go birding and cache hunting in the Ruby Mountains and Mt. Lemon area during the last 2 weeks of June, but from what you have been discussing it seems that most of the areas have been closed because of the high fire danger. Is there any places still open for camping? It seems like the caching will be limited for the summer.

Sherrie

Sherrie...

I'm not sure if any areas are open for camping. A search of BLM land may show some areas that are still open. It's my guess that the NFS is trying to be proactive in fighting fires this season. Today on the news I heard of an idiot that was ticketed over the Memorial Day holiday (when NO BURN fire restrictions were in effect) for burning a "No Fires" sign to start his barbecue. Guess it takes all kinds.

Here's a LINK to a news story about just how bad the fire is at Mt. Lemmon. icon_frown.gif

Let's hope that by the last 2 weeks of July, we're having monsoons...maybe then the fire danger will subside.

Sherrie...

I'm not sure if any areas are open for camping. A search of BLM land may show some areas that are still open. It's my guess that the NFS is trying to be proactive in fighting fires this season. Today on the news I heard of an idiot that was ticketed over the Memorial Day holiday (when NO BURN fire restrictions were in effect) for burning a "No Fires" sign to start his barbecue. Guess it takes all kinds.

Here's a LINK to a news story about just how bad the fire is at Mt. Lemmon. icon_frown.gif

Let's hope that by the last 2 weeks of July, we're having monsoons...maybe then the fire danger will subside.

It's pretty slim pickings right now, BLM land and some of the areas around the larger lakes and the Colorado River are open with fire restrictions and 'some' of the Nat'l Forest Service campgrounds are open. Mt Lemmon is still burning, we're hoping that a tropical storm off Mexico will make it this far and drop some rain this weekend . Here's a link with some info: SW Fire Info

Does anybody know a raindance we could try? icon_biggrin.gif

Csquared - Tim & Karen

It's pretty slim pickings right now, BLM land and some of the areas around the larger lakes and the Colorado River are open with fire restrictions and 'some' of the Nat'l Forest Service campgrounds are open. Mt Lemmon is still burning, we're hoping that a tropical storm off Mexico will make it this far and drop some rain this weekend . Here's a link with some info: SW Fire Info

Does anybody know a raindance we could try? icon_biggrin.gif

Csquared - Tim & Karen

quote:
Originally posted by Cachemere:. Today on the news I heard of an idiot that was ticketed over the Memorial Day holiday (when NO BURN fire restrictions were in effect) for burning a "No Fires" sign to start his barbecue. Guess it takes all kinds.

Here's a link on the people ticketed over the long weekend: News Story

Some people's children! icon_rolleyes.gif

Csquared - Tim & Karen

quote:
Originally posted by Cachemere:. Today on the news I heard of an idiot that was ticketed over the Memorial Day holiday (when NO BURN fire restrictions were in effect) for burning a "No Fires" sign to start his barbecue. Guess it takes all kinds.

Here's a link on the people ticketed over the long weekend: News Story

Some people's children! icon_rolleyes.gif

Csquared - Tim & Karen

We are the owners of Charlotte and are worried about her and her current state.

If and when someone has an update could it be posted here or elswhere so that we can know what has happened to her.

Charlotte was trying to go around the world and return to us here in Australia especially for Bec as she has lung cancer. It would be a real dissapointment to see Charlotte not make her journey.

Thanks everyone.

Mark and Bec (embi)

"Before beginning a hunt, it is wise to ask someone what you are looking for before you begin looking for it." Pooh

Mark and Bec,

Not to worry, Charlotte is not in the path of any fires as yet. We have planned a rescue mission the moment fire restrictions are lifted where Charlotte is located.

Keep your fingers crossed and hope for rain...and lots of it.

Karen of Team "OFF RODE"

sun_smiley.gif

I don't think that any travel bugs are in any danger of being destroyed at this point. The only thing that most people will have to do is wait for the fire restrictions to be lifted, hopefully by the middle of July.

Until that point, I think that the bugs that are in the Coronado will just have to spend a long hot summer in Southern Arizona.