Sad TB story....

lee737

We were caching in some country roads in our area today, and found a TB, a little ring spanner, joined to its tag very loosely by a hair band (which fell off very readily). It looked familiar, we have a ring spanner TB traveling, and the tag looked familiar too - sure enough a Cachly check showed it was mine.... cool - we'll take it home and fix it. 

We had set it off in another state, actually just shy of 1200 miles from home, 2 years ago, so were stoked to have found it unexpectedly. It had been properly logged in, so I obviously forgot about the logging email (6 months back).

Before we get home, the kids have lost it, I'm working on the assumption it has been knocked out of the back seat during one of the 30 odd stops today finding other caches, it is pretty disappointing after finding it like this..... only another TB enthusiast would feel my pain I suspect :)

https://coord.info/TB41Y5P

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, lee737 said:

Before we get home, the kids have lost it, I'm working on the assumption it has been knocked out of the back seat during one of the 30 odd stops today finding other caches, it is pretty disappointing after finding it like this..... only another TB enthusiast would feel my pain I suspect :)

So sad, but you never know, it might turn up unexpectedly when you're looking for something else, then you'll be wondering "how on Earth did it get there?".

• Upvote 1
35 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

So sad, but you never know, it might turn up unexpectedly when you're looking for something else, then you'll be wondering "how on Earth did it get there?".

I know.... I just about to go and rip the back of the car apart and have another look....

• Funny 1
7 hours ago, lee737 said:

I've always thought these ball chains were pretty good too - I'd even heat-shrinked the clasp for security as usual, and it has still come adrift. I might start using stainless cable and crimps again....

MrDForged.jpg

I’ve been using steel cable screw clasp keychains, with a drop of Locktite on the threads.

Or flat keychain split rings.  I sometimes also add that ball chain as an accessory.

395AD968-9BE5-4796-B9F3-F48592CF9139.jpeg

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1
14 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Got this notice today:  "A Geocache Containing Your Trackable Item Was Archived."  "An a hole stole this. Jerk"  Four TBs gone.

I got one of those emails once, but the TB had managed to escape first, and reappeared months later.....

Ouch! That hurts. :o

I've been using the stainless steel ball chain for my TB's so far, though a chain is only going to be as strong as its weakest link.

The cable screw ones look good, though I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a cable tie plastic ones that only close so far then stop? 

51 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Four TBs gone.

Daaannnggg! :mad:

21 hours ago, Unit473L said:

The cable screw ones look good, though I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a cable tie plastic ones that only close so far then stop? 

The cable screws do look good, although they seem scarce on our shores.... you could use a cable tie - do it up to where you want it, then try heating/crushing the mechanism to fuse it in place? 

12 minutes ago, lee737 said:

The cable screws do look good, although they seem scarce on our shores.... you could use a cable tie - do it up to where you want it, then try heating/crushing the mechanism to fuse it in place? 

If you slide a length of tubing onto a plastic zip-tie, it would stop at a sized loop.  But it must fit within the TB hole.  I must drill mine so the cables fit.

I’ve kind of wondered if there’s a cable crimp style that prevents loose strands and sharp edges.  If I find something that’s easy to crimp and doesn’t require extra work to make it safe (no sharp points), I might set up a TB Making Event where locals could make sturdy tag attachments.  I have a lifetime supply of the screw clasp kind, unless I start handing them out.  B)

17 minutes ago, kunarion said:

I’ve kind of wondered if there’s a cable crimp style that prevents loose strands and sharp edges.

There's one I know of, but it fails the "doesn't require extra work" clause. I have previously mucked around with using braided stainless steel picture hanging wire to make connections (non-caching related). Using a bit of fine stainless steel tubing to slip over the overlapping ends of the loop, crimp with either the right tool or standard pliers and elbow grease. Then braze. But unless I had access to a for-profit workshop again, I don't think I could justify the cost of argon and silver solder needed to properly braze stainless steel wire.

Metal is good because it is durable and strong, but it's malleable and prone to breaking at the weak point if it's getting flexed a lot. And oxidising if the wrong metal is chosen. Plastic is good because it will never rust or oxidize and is very forgiving of flexing - but can become brittle over time due to heat (or exposure to sunlight). Nature joiners like rope or leather won't last long in a compromised cache....

Maybe we make TB's out of solid steel bricks?

27 minutes ago, lee737 said:

I've trimmed them down and put heat-shrink over them, seems to work well....

I’ve seen that style, and some kind of industrial goop covering the swedge (that one looked great!).  But if either ever falls off in the wilds, we’re back to the sharp ends again.

I’m thinking more like a jewelry crimp end than an industrial swedge.  Ideally, something that doesn’t cost a whole lot more than the TB and attachment combined. :anicute: