One Million Waymarks Geocoin & Travel Tag

wayfrog

We are very close to one million Waymarks! (997,628 | 15.10.2021 20:53)

To commemorate this amazing achievement, Geocaching HQ is celebrating with an amazing geocoin and travel tag!

This Limited Edition One Million Waymarks geocoin has a look and feel that needs to be seen to be truly appreciated. To make this even more special there are even some fun surprises hidden in the design waiting to be discovered! 

Happy Wayfrog :grin:

small.waymarking-geocoin-image.png

• Love 5

Looks really great.

Reminds me of something: Is the only way to get a Waymarking.com sticker/pin the possibility to order it in the US (at coinsandpins)?

I had a look at many shops in Europe, but they don't sell the Waymarking stickers or pins ... and sending a small parcel from the US to Germany seems to be very expensive ...

On 10/15/2021 at 12:21 PM, FamilieFrohne said:

Looks really great.

Reminds me of something: Is the only way to get a Waymarking.com sticker/pin the possibility to order it in the US (at coinsandpins)?

I had a look at many shops in Europe, but they don't sell the Waymarking stickers or pins ... and sending a small parcel from the US to Germany seems to be very expensive ...

It's sold directly at the Geocaching Shop, owned by Groundspeak. I think they only ship to US and Canada addresses. 

This is a pity. The coinsandpins.com shop, who also offers the stickers, would send to Europe, but the small parcel for the sticker (which costs $1.09) has shipping costs of around 35 Euro to Europe - not to mention the fees that are called for customs (around 20% of total cost -> 7 Euro) and the money transfer costs (which are at least 1.50 Euro if I can pay with my credit card up to 36,55 Euro if I have to use bank transfer (SWIFT) - didn't check the costs for using paypal) ... :wacko:

But I got in contact with a waymarker who will send me a sticker (thanks again for the offer).

• Love 2
On 10/19/2021 at 12:53 PM, FamilieFrohne said:

This is a pity. The coinsandpins.com shop, who also offers the stickers, would send to Europe, but the small parcel for the sticker (which costs $1.09) has shipping costs of around 35 Euro to Europe - not to mention the fees that are called for customs (around 20% of total cost -> 7 Euro) and the money transfer costs (which are at least 1.50 Euro if I can pay with my credit card up to 36,55 Euro if I have to use bank transfer (SWIFT) - didn't check the costs for using paypal) ... :wacko:

But I got in contact with a waymarker who will send me a sticker (thanks again for the offer).

So... ... mebbe if a resourceful, sly, Canadian were to travel to Europe with a pisspot full of said items hidden somewhere on his person, mebbe he could pay for his trip through the (re)sale of a bunch of the items in question. :D

Just sayin'. It would have to be another resourceful, sly, Canadian, as this resourceful, sly, Canadian couldn't foot the bill for the trip in any event.

Keith

On 10/21/2021 at 12:58 PM, pmaupin said:

How to get one in France without paying a fortune?

OK, Eric's and Phil's posts got me to thinking...

It seems to me to be pretty much unfair that Geocaching, headquartered in the US, will ship to only 2 countries, given that so many of our Waymarking buddies are in countries other than that. Which, of course, prompts me to think of those NOT in either the US or Canada who might like to have a similar memento and don't have a reasonably inexpensive method of attaining one.

Now, it seems to me that the cost of the coin, at $14.99 US, is a bit high, but then I'm an old guy, once used to bread at 20 cents per loaf.

I have no idea how much demand there might be for the coin - I'm not, myself, a collector of such things, but might enjoy having a coin commemorative of that to which I've personally contributed. I might have to think about that, but, yes, I guess I might like to have that little memento of all the time and travel I've contributed to this endeavour. In truth, it's consumed most of the waking hours of my last nine years. For those who don't know me, my profile reveals not much of my Waymarking career. Through a peculiar set of circumstances, though, I was once part of the team known as BK-Hunters.

First, though, I've just now gone to the 1 million coin page, so I'm only assuming that the second country to which Groundspeak will ship is Canada.

That being the case, we may be able to work out a scenario in which we (I, actually) could get the One Million coins to people who should want them, yet weren't within the confines of the US or Canada.

I used to have a Paypal account; I'm not sure if I still have one. It's possible that I could buy the coins from Groundspeak and remail them, possibly as gifts, possibly just as a "sale" to folks in other lands, using Paypal or other methods to accomplish payment. I guess that, in each case, that would likely be up to the respondent. Again, in each case the respondent would likely be more knowledgeable than I with regard to the method, and the declaration, under which a coin should be shipped to their country. For now, no matter; if you want a coin, make your desire known and, should there be sufficient desire, we'll continue with this, possibly start a new thread. So far I've seen 186 views for this thread, not a GREAT response so far.

I have no interest whatever in making a profit here. I'm a senior on retirement benefits, receiving enough to support me with some to spare. BUT, I have gotten to know a number of people from other lands through Waymarking and have found them to be, on the whole, pretty nice people. I believe it would be remiss of me to not help them out when presented with an opportunity to do so.

Moreover, this may afford the opportunity to meet even more of those nice people from fields afar.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Love 1

I just got the newsletter today mentioning the coin and the millionth waymark.

The Waymarking website is already treated extremely stepmotherly, and now - since the coins are sold officially only in 2 countries, the Waymarkers in the rest of the world are also treated so extremely stepmotherly.

And so, although we finance a very large share of the whole store....

"my dear mr. singing club."

(can't be translated accurately to express what i wanna say...)

And we all missed my favourite category, Lucky 7.

1-Animals • Feeding the Animals
2-Buildings • Victorian Architecture
3-Business • Ice Cream Parlors
4-Culture • Sit-by-me Statues
8-Monuments • Dedicated Benches
9-Nature • Municipal Parks and Plazas
10-Oddities • Ginormous Everyday Objects
13-Structures • Hiking Path Footbridges
15-Multifarious • Photo Goals

• Helpful 1

Categories I can find in this photo:

Sit by Me Statues

Statues of Historical Figures (if this statue on the bench is a known figure)

Photo Goals

Drawing Waymarks

Converted Fountains

Rose Gardens

Famous Fiction Figures

Figurative Public Sculpture

Independent Pizza Restaurants 

Ice Cream Parlors

Feeding the Animals

Parks and Municipal Plazas

Arched Bridges

Independent Diners

Japanese Gardens

Independent Bookstores (and/or Used Bookstores)

Realistic Art Sculptures

Giants of Commerce (if its for use by the restaurants)

Ginormous Everyday Objects (maybe Elevated Everyday Objects as well)

Dog Friendly Restaurants (and/or Off-leash Dog Areas)

Dated Buildings and Cornerstones

Natural Lakes

Takeout/Delivery Menus

Exceptional Trees

--Am I missing any? I'm sure I am, and if you wanted to go a step further, we could say that the trees/benches are dedicated

You missed Victorian Architecture.

Your eyes must be a helluva lot better than mine, as I can't see any dates on buildings. Understandable, given our age difference.

Since you use a dash of imagination for some of your inclusions, such as Takeout/Delivery Menus and Japanese Gardens (topiary was originally a European thing, not Asian, is that's what you're looking at), your imagination should surely be able to extend to the Dedicated Benches and Trees (one I missed, as well).

I don't really get what the large two tone brown object with the yellow squiggle at the bottom right of the right hand building is.

Of course, the dated building, like other things, can be attributed to imagination, as well.

Edited by ScroogieII
1 hour ago, ScroogieII said:

You missed Victorian Architecture.

Your eyes must be a helluva lot better than mine, as I can't see any dates on buildings. Understandable, given our age difference.

Since you use a dash of imagination for some of your inclusions, such as Takeout/Delivery Menus and Japanese Gardens (topiary was originally a European thing, not Asian, is that's what you're looking at), your imagination should surely be able to extend to the Dedicated Benches and Trees (one I missed, as well).

I don't really get what the large two tone brown object with the yellow squiggle at the bottom right of the right hand building is.

Of course, the dated building, like other things, can be attributed to imagination, as well.

I can't see the date (don't think there's a year), but there's definitely a corner stone just to the right of the ice cream cone sign. Only said Japanese Gardens because of the Bonsai trees. I'm sure there's more easter eggs ;)

9 minutes ago, bluesnote said:

because of the Bonsai trees

They look more like Topiary to me, but, that is in the eye of the beholder, after all. The scale is not proper for Bonsai.

I believe you're correct about the cornerstone. It's on the correct side of the building (street corner) for a cornerstone. Missed that completely. Forgive me - I'm old, addled and decrepit.

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Funny 1

Here's a poem for ya that I seem never to have published here, though I'm sure that was the intention when I wrote it.

It was obviously written after a bout of Waymarking site hiccups, but the end is probably my first reference to the possibility that we could really make it to 1,000,000 Waymarks. I just found it while trying to clean up some of my no longer needed text files.

THE WRECK

'Twas the night before Christmas and all through the site
Things just kept breaking, I'd feared that they might,
The folks were all rapt in uploading their posts
In hopes that reviewers were generous hosts.

The snow kept on falling just outside my door
I ought just continue and Waymark some more,
For playing in winter outside in the cold
Is one of those things that too dear I don't hold.

But wait now, what's this, now where'd that post go?
Submitted in faith just a moment ago,
I search and I search, but it's nowhere around
Just one of those things which'll ne'er be found.

I start it anew but then what do I see
My maps are now frozen, the page soon to be?
Reloading's my option I soon ascertain
While thinking this site is becoming my bane.

It's time for a break so I'll take some time out
Maybe check out the forum and see who's about,
But first I'll go over and peek at our stats
And see if we're worthy of more self congrats.

I open the page and then what should appear
But only a vestige of what was once here,
I reload and reload but always in vain
I fear there were things here I'll not see again.

I'd email a Lackey or someone with clout
I'd like to give someone there just a quick shout,
But then I remember that emails have gone
To that region below where the sun's never shone.

Oh, when will it end, this hellacious big wreck
It's really become the worst pain in my neck,
I'm old and infirm and my memory's goin'
How many more years I can Waymark's not known.

But really I have just a simple request
Of the folks who with knowledge of this site are blessed,
My wish is that we can keep upping the score
'til we've increased the stats to a million and more.

• Love 3
On 8/4/2022 at 2:35 PM, Phronimos said:

I suspect it’s something to do with the pixels on the outer edge on the obverse.

Well, I'll be hornswoggled!!

I'm in Canada and I have one which was sent to me from Finland, along with a really cool Finnish Geocoin!

Strangely, mine has the identical pattern on the obverse as does yours!!

Well, I'll be hornswoggled yet again!!! I thought I had seen one earlier without the embellishments you pointed out above. Wrong again!

Keith

Geocoin-3.thumb.JPG.b45db1f0970c40d77d6969b20ac4a53a.JPG

Edited by ScroogieII