Stockton & Modesto California Geocaching...Part 2

Ron Streeter

....moving up the ladder?

Looks like I'm 4th in the world for placements and 42 for finds....room for improvement !

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there are about 25,500 cachers now and around 22,500 caches. (these are both BALLPARK figures).

Today I found:

O'Pioneers (FTF?)

Sonny

Sutter Creek

I also placed two which will be published in the next few days. Kind of nice NOT to be at Knights Ferry area for a change. icon_rolleyes.gif

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

[This message was edited by Ron Streeter on April 24, 2002 at 06:58 PM.]

There has been a change for locationless caches. Check out this thread. I think this only really effects LO and I since we're the only ones who have posted locationless caches.

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=9290948934

Here's where they will all be listed now.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?LTYPE=12

george

[This message was edited by georgeandmary on April 24, 2002 at 08:11 PM.]

Has anyone seen the locationless cache that LO put up?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=20321

I logged it this past weekend and I expected some kind of comment for LO, but I never got one. Would everyone please take a look at the photo I uploaded and tell me what they think. Is that a great photo or what. Big blue sky, perfect frameing of the capitol building, and I still managed to stick my hand into the photo.

This was the same day I logged Ron's Green Scarab and LO Where's Rose.

george

....George !

Good grief...wants a 2nd find credit for Nothing But Balls in new location ! Well, maybe. I did take a new find on Squirrels nest (and beat the pants off the southern crew !), so I guess it's kosher for people to go after the balls cache again. I think if I had to drive as far as George does though to get that find, I would spend the gas money on something new. Up to you George.

The new locationless cache page is neat..looks like there are 13 of them now including some from our area. I'll HAVE to jump on THAT bandwagon.

Guess that's it for now...still doing research on PDAs. Could have used one today in the San Andreas and north area. I left the sheets at home. Thank goodness I had EasyGPSed the coords into both gps receivers ! Fun looking for them with no printouts/no clues...I tried to remember what I had read...a PDA would DEFINITELY have been nice though.

Here's the electronics I pack in my walking bag.

2 gps's, PearlCorder, digital camera, extra batteries and of course cache goods, water. What's one more device to lug along? And maybe a cell phone so people can call ME for clues?

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

I logged it this past weekend and I expected some kind of comment for LO, but I never got one. Would everyone please take a look at the photo I uploaded and tell me what they think. Is that a great photo or what. Big blue sky, perfect frameing of the capitol building, and I still managed to stick my hand into the photo.

george

i wasn't going to say anything buuuutttt......

anybody else have photo altering software other than me and george???????? obviously a doctored photo icon_confused.gif she should delete this log and make that sap drive for his finds

tomaski icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

george

i wasn't going to say anything buuuutttt......

anybody else have photo altering software other than me and george???????? obviously a doctored photo icon_confused.gif she should delete this log and make that sap drive for his finds

tomaski icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

....but I think IT IS DOCTORED !

George you dirty dog...you'll do anything for a find !

Ron (never doctored a photo in my life but will begin now !)

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

i think george is asking for help with his sickness icon_wink.gif he needs some tough love from his friends. by posting in the forum for everyone

to look at it, he's screaming for help.

kk icon_razz.gif

quote:

i think george is asking for help with his sickness icon_wink.gif he needs some tough love from his friends. by posting in the forum for everyone

to look at it, he's screaming for help.

kk icon_razz.gif

quote:

I've been waiting for someone to notice. Did LO actually think I drove to Sacramento the same day I found the caches in sonora and angels camp? I think I did a pretty good job of it don't you?

george

When George posted the Sacramento capital, I immediately said "There is no way he drove up there and did these other caches in the same day." I then figured that if he really wanted it before anyone else, then maybe he did drive up there. As for the photo, I didn't pay much attention to it at all. Now that I have been clued in, I will probably look closer at the future posts on that page!

I will leave it up to George as to whether or not the "find" should be deleted! icon_confused.gif

I had posted another locationless but already archived it. I don't think I will be creating any more of them anytime soon, even though I do think they are pretty cool.

Ron..yes, you were the FTF on O' Pioneers. We had been past that spot many times, and I had always wanted to stop and check it out. I figured it would make a nice virtual..if you are into that sort of thing, of course!

I am leaving for Ventura tomorrow..gonna go spend a couple of days destressing! There aren't very many caches down there surprisingly..or at least not in the area I will be in. I have 3 or 4 printed out that seem to be right near the ocean..should be a fun change from poison oak and ticks!!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

When George posted the Sacramento capital, I immediately said "There is no way he drove up there and did these other caches in the same day." I then figured that if he really wanted it before anyone else, then maybe he did drive up there. As for the photo, I didn't pay much attention to it at all. Now that I have been clued in, I will probably look closer at the future posts on that page!

I will leave it up to George as to whether or not the "find" should be deleted! icon_confused.gif

I had posted another locationless but already archived it. I don't think I will be creating any more of them anytime soon, even though I do think they are pretty cool.

Ron..yes, you were the FTF on O' Pioneers. We had been past that spot many times, and I had always wanted to stop and check it out. I figured it would make a nice virtual..if you are into that sort of thing, of course!

I am leaving for Ventura tomorrow..gonna go spend a couple of days destressing! There aren't very many caches down there surprisingly..or at least not in the area I will be in. I have 3 or 4 printed out that seem to be right near the ocean..should be a fun change from poison oak and ticks!!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

....the ONLY thing that saves you is that YOU brought it to everyone's attention by EMPHASIZING that you did Sacto capitol the same day you did the Scarab and one other !

Just never try to pull a fast one on an airport security guard or you'll be sitting out a flight in a gray room with a woman named Hilda wearing a latex glove !

Ron

I actually told Kevin right when I did it. We were both waiting for LO to say something but I guess I'm just too good at this.

Since she hadn't said anything by now I went ahead and fessed up. I already deleted the find since is it WAS a cheat.

The Old Red Barn was a legit find though. It's just been archived.

george

.....The Black Scarab cache !

The day I placed this cache the wind was blowing about 30 miles and hour and apparently blinded me to a sign which said it was a replantation area.

How this area deserves to be replanted is beyond me, but since it apparently has a sign saying that is the case, I will go in an remove the cache and put it somewhere else. If you are on a watch list for this cache you will automatically get an email when it is repositioned.

George....

I think more than a question of you being "too good" at hoaxing the picture it was more an instance of what we all subscribe too here at geocaching.com....that is that we TRUST each other to do the right thing. Still, it was a good joke and your intentions were seen as such by all involved I'm sure.

Ron

As many of you know I had throat surgury this past monday. It went fine, my throat was a little sore for a couple of days but what really threw me for a loop was the anethstesia. All my muscles were stiff especially my legs. I felt fine on monday but on tuesday it hurt to walk.

After thinking about it for a few days I no longer blame the anethstesia. The last thing I did before the day of the surgury was hunt for green scarab. I found it, after a long walk, and on the way out I took a short cut by hiking straight up a hill. I'm starting to think that the hike in combination with the drugs made me sore for the past 3 days. Now I've done some really long bike rides (80 plus miles) and I've never felt this bad. I don't know wether to blame the drugs or Ron.

Anyway, I feel good today and I'm looking forward to biking and caching this weekend. I'm trying to hit the 200 cache mark by june 1.

george

...glad you're feeling better, but don't blame the drugs, Green Scarab or me. Blame karma...that Sacramento capitol picture has come back to haunt you !

I have a goal of 300 by June 1st, but that's some hefty caching....maybe I'll just do what I can and see how many I come up with. I have all of June and July off and will be going to Colorado and maybe Kansas...thinking of driving so I can cache on the way. I would miss all the first to finds in CA, but would get to see some new mountains.

I went out today and with the Egyptian priests' help recovered the Black Scarab who is in transit via camel to a new destination.

Cache you later ! Ron

quote:

....George !

Good grief...wants a 2nd find credit for Nothing But Balls in new location ! Well, maybe. I did take a new find on Squirrels nest (and beat the pants off the southern crew !), so I guess it's kosher for people to go after the balls cache again. I think if I had to drive as far as George does though to get that find, I would spend the gas money on something new. Up to you George.

The new locationless cache page is neat..looks like there are 13 of them now including some from our area. I'll HAVE to jump on THAT bandwagon.

Guess that's it for now...still doing research on PDAs. Could have used one today in the San Andreas and north area. I left the sheets at home. Thank goodness I had EasyGPSed the coords into both gps receivers ! Fun looking for them with no printouts/no clues...I tried to remember what I had read...a PDA would DEFINITELY have been nice though.

Here's the electronics I pack in my walking bag.

2 gps's, PearlCorder, digital camera, extra batteries and of course cache goods, water. What's one more device to lug along? And maybe a cell phone so people can call ME for clues?

Ron

hey ron,

check costco before you buy, they have two visor

models. one for 170. one for 260. don't recall which models. might be worth a peek.

kevin

Here is where the PDA gets really useful. My daughter Kelley is building a mission for school. She picked mission San Jose so where am I going this weekend? That's right, San Jose. So while there, I might as well hit some caches. I went to the pathetiqite site and found the San Jose link, created a new Avantgo channel, and now I have the closest 100 cache descriptions to San Jose already loaded and ready to go. I may have to print out 2 or 3 cache pages that have been added since the last update but otherwise I just need the PDA, some Maps, and the gps.

george

We talked about meeting up this weekend but it looks like I'll be in San Jose all day Saturday. My daughter is doing a project on the mission there so I'm killing to birds with one stone. Doing some caches and helping the kids with their school work. I've never been to that mission anyway so it should be fun.

I hope it doesn't rain.

george

.....and now to log them all !

Because George has the most caches out there it was another GEORGE & MARY day (and one from LO/F).

Today's bounty:

Stop and Pick

Crane Cache

In One End

Top of the Delta

Out the Other

Chinese Camp

Oh, I also placed one...boy is it SWEET ! Stay tuned for details.

Ron

Hey Ron it looks like you didn't have to put as many miles on today either. icon_smile.gif

George have fun at the mission. Jaimee went to the mission in Ventura today. She told me all about it on the phone. Had to stay home and do inventory at the hospital. icon_frown.gif

Have ti irrigate in the morning then hoping to do some caching after. Have a good weekend all.

Hey Ron it looks like you didn't have to put as many miles on today either. icon_smile.gif

George have fun at the mission. Jaimee went to the mission in Ventura today. She told me all about it on the phone. Had to stay home and do inventory at the hospital. icon_frown.gif

Have ti irrigate in the morning then hoping to do some caching after. Have a good weekend all.

....Diggin's

Will do Fattuhr...I only took pics though, so hope the signs came out good enough to give me the answers ! If not, maybe you'll take pity on me and let me log it anyway. It's 9:30 and I'm going to take a break before looking at the pics, so may email you tomorrow.

Ron

quote:

.....and now to log them all !

Because George has the most caches out there it was another GEORGE & MARY day (and one from LO/F).

Today's bounty:

Stop and Pick

Crane Cache

In One End

Top of the Delta

Out the Other

Chinese Camp

Oh, I also placed one...boy is it SWEET ! Stay tuned for details.

Ron

I told you crane cache was easy, but you wouldn't let me trick it up a bit. At least you got to try out your canoe.

george

......you assume too much !

Quote:

I told you crane cache was easy, but you wouldn't let me trick it up a bit. At least you got to try out your canoe.

End Quote:

Mike....

You and I need to talk about our most recent lakeside conquests!

As to hiking six miles (one-way)....maybe, but sometimes there's another way in !

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by Fattuhr:

Hey George when are you going to head out to the new one by Dirthawker? I think that would be a fun one. icon_biggrin.gif

It's suposed to cool off this weekend. I'll have to wait for a nice warm day for that one.

6 miles.

6 miles is not that far... by bike. There are some caches by Gilroy Hot Springs that I've saving for a bike day. Hiking in would be quite a few miles. It's amazing how much ground, and what type of ground you can cover on a mountain bike.

what cache has a 6 mile hike?

george

quote:

Hey George when are you going to head out to the new one by Dirthawker? I think that would be a fun one. icon_biggrin.gif

It's suposed to cool off this weekend. I'll have to wait for a nice warm day for that one.

6 miles.

6 miles is not that far... by bike. There are some caches by Gilroy Hot Springs that I've saving for a bike day. Hiking in would be quite a few miles. It's amazing how much ground, and what type of ground you can cover on a mountain bike.

what cache has a 6 mile hike?

george

I was checking some out the other day, and there were some that not only did you have to hike (not mountain bike) a long ways, they said you might have to camp over night. I don;t remember which one George, but it was in the 100 mile range of our ZIP code. (95307) I think it was right at the 100 mile range.

quote:

I was checking some out the other day, and there were some that not only did you have to hike (not mountain bike) a long ways, they said you might have to camp over night. I don;t remember which one George, but it was in the 100 mile range of our ZIP code. (95307) I think it was right at the 100 mile range.

Was it No bikes allowed, or do you doubt the kind of terain that a bike can cover. I've biked over some really steep and rocky trails. I've also ridden down stuff that was scary to walk down. You'd be amazed at what a mountain bike can do. Even if it requires sections of portaging the bike, over 6 miles a bike will cut the time in half and triple the fun on the downhills. I think Ron ran into some bikers having too much fun one day.

george

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

purra-purra is one of them, I've also herd of the hike in and camp cache also. Maybe I should get into mountian biking? Mike

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=20347

Yeah, burra burra is in Henry W. Coe state park. Awesome biking. Really rugged, I've biked all in there and you have some really steap fire roads and really twisty single track. I've done 20+ plus mile rides in the area but I'm really out of shape now.

I was planning at hitting all three in that park in one day of riding.

george

George....enjoy your mission outing today (you've probably already left !)

Pat.... I sent the Chinese answers to LO since I didn't have your email address. You may want to add it to your forum area listing so we can email you directly.

Mike....A challenging cache is coming to the area; be ready for SWEET !

Caching today? Maybe, but I have to work on cache placement descriptions too ! I have 3 or 4 placed that need to be published.

Ron

I just added my email address to my forum listing as well.

Go to MyPop at the top of the forum. This lets you edit your profile and add your email address to your profile for the forum.

Now to see if it worked ! Should show up in this post...hopefully !

Ron

added note: well, the email enveloped didn't show up right after I posted this, maybe it will on subsequent posts.