Stockton & Modesto California Geocaching...Part 2

Ron Streeter

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

I recently bought the data cable for my Etrex, so might be in the market to look at your Garmin software.

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

I don't think the yellow etrex will be able to download the street maps kevin is talking about. I'm pretty sure my etrex Vista only downloads places of intrest and not actuall maps. So I doubt the yellow would take maps either.

george

....now that I think about it, I'm sure you're right. That's why they have the Emap and other models.

Since I never use the mapping capability in my Magellan 315, I guess it doesn't really matter.

I should concentrate on getting a good solid rig set up in my car to hold my laptop. Can't beat a 15 inch color screen and moving map hooked up to the Mag 315. Now THAT'S a screen !

I looked into the metal type mounts used by police cars....anywhere from 150 and up. Some of them quick bolt in and out using the passenger seat bolts at floor level.

Still wondering if LO/F went caching today !? Any news?

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

I think I finally got it figured out, I hope anyway. It's just going to take some time. I did 6 loc. Caches today. Their not as fun as actualy hunting one down and going threw it. As far as the yellow jeep goes. It will have to stay that way, Im not going to delete it and then spend an hour trying to put it back the right way.

Kevin- I would like to get a copy of that software from you. Mike M.

quote:

...as it happens, I've spent the last hour or so looking at all the old and new threads on clipping and pda's. I guess you've seen the new guy's product...rshool...something.

I have about made a decision on what pda to get...won't reveal it yet. I'm about researched out and it's time to "pull the trigger". Might want to have one more look at yours in action though....

I recently bought the data cable for my Etrex, so might be in the market to look at your Garmin software.

I've never used the map software I got with my Magellan. I use the Delorme that I recommended to you Kevin and it looks like the mapping aspect on the PDA leaves a little to be desired.

hey ron,

check out the new delorme 4.0 it says you can do maps for either pocket pc or palm os. XMap handheld street atlas USA. i think its 39.95

provides address to address routing. i just got a mailer from delorme telling all about it.

check out their site.

kevin

ps any weekend you want to go out and check out the PDA in action let me know kk

just busier than busy! My daughter had an open house at school tonight, so I had to rush over there as soon as I was finished working. We just made it home after that event, dinner and a quick trip to Target.

No caching today, unfortunately. I probably won't be doing much for the next couple weeks because of my finals.

On the subject of locationless caches...I like them!!! I thought they were kinda hokey when I first saw them, but now I think they are fun. They are also very good for those of us who might not be able to go after the caches that require lots of hiking, climbing, etc. I think that the locationless caches should NOT be something that can be found on every street corner but rather something that has to be searched for a bit. Pat and I actually had fun with the yellow Jeep cache..just because we were on the lookout for one all the time while driving around. I did the state capital locationless so I could see various pictures of all the state capitals. It's my opinion that there should be all types of caches for all types of folks. Those who like (and are able to do) the challenge of the tough terrain have the harder caches. Those who don't like, or can't physically do, the harder terrain have the easier ones and the locationless caches if they so choose. There are many caches I would like to go for, but I can't climb/hike because of a problem I have with my hip. I have asked some people if there are alternate ways to get to their tougher caches, but they think I am trying to beg a clue or something..not true..just trying to see if there is in fact an alternate route to make it physically less challenging.

Oh..is anyone else playing in McIrish's caching "tag" game??

Okay..off my soapbox now. No evil caches got us..yet!!

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

just busier than busy! My daughter had an open house at school tonight, so I had to rush over there as soon as I was finished working. We just made it home after that event, dinner and a quick trip to Target.

No caching today, unfortunately. I probably won't be doing much for the next couple weeks because of my finals.

On the subject of locationless caches...I like them!!! I thought they were kinda hokey when I first saw them, but now I think they are fun. They are also very good for those of us who might not be able to go after the caches that require lots of hiking, climbing, etc. I think that the locationless caches should NOT be something that can be found on every street corner but rather something that has to be searched for a bit. Pat and I actually had fun with the yellow Jeep cache..just because we were on the lookout for one all the time while driving around. I did the state capital locationless so I could see various pictures of all the state capitals. It's my opinion that there should be all types of caches for all types of folks. Those who like (and are able to do) the challenge of the tough terrain have the harder caches. Those who don't like, or can't physically do, the harder terrain have the easier ones and the locationless caches if they so choose. There are many caches I would like to go for, but I can't climb/hike because of a problem I have with my hip. I have asked some people if there are alternate ways to get to their tougher caches, but they think I am trying to beg a clue or something..not true..just trying to see if there is in fact an alternate route to make it physically less challenging.

Okay..off my soapbox now. No evil caches got us..yet!!

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

ron

i just sent you a link to the map software for a PDA. they start taking orders may 1. its 40$ you me and george should go together and get it.

mike

i'll burn you a copy in the next few days. i'll let you know when i get it and we'll figure out how i'll get it to you

kevin

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

I got the email but she said she wanted to keep the cache in the area of sacrmento, elk grove and such. I don't get up there that often.

Did anyone here about Kevin's email? Etrexable sent Kevin an email with coordinates of something he left for him. I don't know why he picked Kevin but Kevin had just got off the phone with me (I was double checking the coordinates for the new Nothing But Balls...) when he got the email. He called me back and invited me to go look for the gift. So I dropped my balls search, (it was raining anyway) and met Kevin and we went and found the gift. Well, I found the gift, kevin was looking in the wrong spot.

It was a laminated picture of a truck with two magnets stuck to it. I don't know what that whole gift was about.

Kevin, did you ever email etrexable and ask what the reason for the gift was?

george

quote:

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

I got the email but she said she wanted to keep the cache in the area of sacrmento, elk grove and such. I don't get up there that often.

Did anyone here about Kevin's email? Etrexable sent Kevin an email with coordinates of something he left for him. I don't know why he picked Kevin but Kevin had just got off the phone with me (I was double checking the coordinates for the new Nothing But Balls...) when he got the email. He called me back and invited me to go look for the gift. So I dropped my balls search, (it was raining anyway) and met Kevin and we went and found the gift. Well, I found the gift, kevin was looking in the wrong spot.

It was a laminated picture of a truck with two magnets stuck to it. I don't know what that whole gift was about.

george

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

quote:

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

george

not yet i'll contact them soon. by the way, its mr &mrs? etrexable

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

quote:

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

george

not yet i'll contact them soon. by the way, its mr &mrs? etrexable

I received a PDA from my mother in law last year for Christmas. After reading your posts I checked into it. I looked at the Pathetique site and I noticed that he said he didn't know if the site would be in existance much longer since it is not being supported by Geocaching. (He's been emailing them to get an OK) But to make a long story a little shorter my PDA won't work. Darn it looks like such a good idea. Alot less paper to handle.

.....Go !

Fattuhr....get that PDA working !

Kevin......what's with the truck pic on magnets?

Thanks for the Delorme link.

My PDA and mapping comment relates to the fact that if you actually want to hook up a GPS to the PDA you are looking at some plug-in-the-top (for Visors) that are as expensive as a standalone and not as durable...but you get a bigger screen to look at. The maps themselves are pretty available from what I can tell from a number of makers. I was looking at the same kind of moving map setup I have with my laptop and gps hookup.

I'll go for the PDA for the descriptions of the caches alone....Kevin has seen the forum where the new guy RSchool (something) also as a little clipping program available. I tried it on my laptop and it works great at that end. Doesn't record the stars for difficulty levels, but no biggie.

Also, JEREMY IRISH is working on a palm program coming from his end, so if Brian's palmable goes away, we'll still be ok, and Jeremy usually does things right too !

LO/F.........Yeah right ! I think that daughter's school program is a ruse ! You were out looking for RSR and just don't want to admit defeat !

Mike........glad you got your pic problems straightened out....Mike's comment he wasn't going to redo the yellow jeep pic he posted is because somehow he got a negative image...the license plate number is backwards and the plate is on the wrong side of the car !

10:30.....time to quit...enjoyed reading all the news !

Ron

......Kevin....look at this fugawi link.

http://www.fugawi.com/docs/navfugawi.html

Pic shows a Mag Companion plugged into a PDA...gets back to my point about the tie-in to the software.

How about a rig with whatever gps we have now, but it plugs into the PDA somehow...course then you've got wires hanging around...what a mess...better off with what we've got.

UPDATE....UPDATE....UPDATE!

I looked into it a bit more. It actually DOES do some cool stuff without needing a gps plugged into the PDA. Here's the deeper link....

http://www.fugawi.com/docs/palm.html

Of course, it does COST $100 ! That's almost as much as a PDA !

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by Fattuhr:

I received a PDA from my mother in law last year for Christmas. After reading your posts I checked into it. I looked at the Pathetique site and I noticed that he said he didn't know if the site would be in existance much longer since it is not being supported by Geocaching. (He's been emailing them to get an OK) But to make a long story a little shorter my PDA won't work. Darn it looks like such a good idea. Alot less paper to handle.

That web page has said that for 2 months. It's still around. I'm sure geocaching.com will add palm features as it grows.

george

For those of you who've found crane cache you know it's a really easy find. I've been thinking about makeing it harder to find but to day I changed my mind. I've gotten a few logs from people just starting out and it looks like it's a good started cache for new folks. I remember almost giving up on my first cache and the frustration level. Took me a good 1/2 hour to find I hate I-5 just a little bit because I didn't really know what I was looking for and didn't realize what a micro cache could look like. It would have sucked if I gave up the hunt at that point and never looked for another. So I'm leaving the easy crane cache.

george

....I was just looking at your profile and saw you are at 98 finds ! Incredible ! Then I looked at your found list and I stopped counting at 13 "locationless" caches....Yikes ! You should be hanging your head in shame...of course I will have to also when I do them !

icon_wink.gif

....I was just looking at your profile and saw you are at 98 finds ! Incredible ! Then I looked at your found list and I stopped counting at 13 "locationless" caches....Yikes ! You should be hanging your head in shame...of course I will have to also when I do them !

icon_wink.gif

Hey Ron

You haven't done any of the locationless caches yet? They are quite nice for those of us who don't have the freedom to cache instead of work daily! icon_biggrin.gif

Gotta limit my post here..don't want the posting police to write me a ticket or something!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Hey Ron

You haven't done any of the locationless caches yet? They are quite nice for those of us who don't have the freedom to cache instead of work daily! icon_biggrin.gif

Gotta limit my post here..don't want the posting police to write me a ticket or something!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

quote:

Hey Ron

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Hey there LO...

Yes, it is NICE having a lot of free time...and next year I may have even more...my administrators are thinking of cutting back the number of times a class is available...SO, I may lose my Monday and Wednesday classes....MORE TIME FOR GEOCACHING !

By the way, my OPERATION: ENDURING FREEDOM cache not only supports our boys/girls in the armed services, but all of our FREEDOM to pursue life the way we want to.

Posting police? What are we limited to how many we can post? In the old forums I was up to 300 or so. Now I mostly post in this forum, sometimes in the ones on page development.

Stay tuned later this coming weekend for some interesting geocaching news.

Ron

quote:

Hey Ron

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Hey there LO...

Yes, it is NICE having a lot of free time...and next year I may have even more...my administrators are thinking of cutting back the number of times a class is available...SO, I may lose my Monday and Wednesday classes....MORE TIME FOR GEOCACHING !

By the way, my OPERATION: ENDURING FREEDOM cache not only supports our boys/girls in the armed services, but all of our FREEDOM to pursue life the way we want to.

Posting police? What are we limited to how many we can post? In the old forums I was up to 300 or so. Now I mostly post in this forum, sometimes in the ones on page development.

Stay tuned later this coming weekend for some interesting geocaching news.

Ron

I'm just in it for the fun and exercise. This has become a fun hobby for me. I like going for all kinds of caches, and some of the locationless ones are pretty fun to look for, things I might not otherwise look for. Same with the Virtuals. I have seen some places I would have never stopped to look at if it wasn't for geocaching. And of course the exercise, I have done some hiking for some caches and will do some more. icon_smile.gif

I'm just in it for the fun and exercise. This has become a fun hobby for me. I like going for all kinds of caches, and some of the locationless ones are pretty fun to look for, things I might not otherwise look for. Same with the Virtuals. I have seen some places I would have never stopped to look at if it wasn't for geocaching. And of course the exercise, I have done some hiking for some caches and will do some more. icon_smile.gif

.....at lots of locations !

Just a quick note to Fattuhr (and anyone else) to let him (them) know I'm not REALLY concerned that anyone has a bunch of locationless caches in his/her inventory.

I really haven't looked at the descriptions for them that much. I know what George's Arches is about, and I did look at the yellow jeep one too. They still are a search of course and it WOULD be fun to suddenly spot a yellow jeep and get a pic of it.

I have an idea for one myself, so I can't say anything bad about them. Virtuals are much the same thing. I have a set of waterfall caches in which ONE is a virtual with no proof even required that you were there, EXCEPT, if you find the virutal half, I would be surprised if you DIDN'T go for the other one which is a few miles away (and a 2 mile hike).

SO, just wanted to dispel any thoughts anyone might have that I was DOWN on the locationless.

Another beautiful weekend coming up....no reason to avoid those VENGEFUL caches !

Ron

quote:

I really haven't looked at the descriptions for them that much. I know what George's Arches is about, and I did look at the yellow jeep one too. They still are a search of course and it WOULD be fun to suddenly spot a yellow jeep and get a pic of it.

Ron

The thing with Yellow Jeep is that you have to see one when you have your camera. That's that hard part, often they're driving away and the choice has to be made of whether you want to chase it down or not.

The locationless that I had the most fun finding was the Statue of Liberty one. You have to find a mini statue of Liberty somewhere. Now come on, how many of those do you see? Well Mary and I were out looking for the Chineese Diggings. We drove past the plack so I drove down the street and flipped a U turn. Drove back slowely and what do I see? That's right About 40 ft away from Chinease Diggins is a Statue of LIberty, 6ft tall mounted on a porch roof. I freaked. "Oh my God, Oh my God! Look, look, look!" Now mary had no idea why I was so excited. She didn't know about the statue of liberty cache and was busy looking for the Diggings cache and thought I had gone crazy. After I explained, she still thought I was crazy. I got the picture, and the coords and bagged the cache.

Now, finding the statue of liberty in chineese camp in the foothills was kind of cool. The new locationless that are popping up, (find an airport, find a zoo, find a flag pole) those are not very creative.

BTW. Someone from Sweden bagged my Arches cache.

george

....I have a pic of that chinese statue of liberty in my camera ! Guess I will grab the coordinates from your post and claim it !

Now that's easy caching ! Thanks for turning me on to that one.

I guess I have been so busy with some other things that I just haven't taken the time to look at the locationless. Now I remember that there is a new geocaching directive to just that area as well...have to go back and look that up...I think you tipped us on that one too. You are the locationless man !

Ron

....and pretty much effortless !

First let me say again, I am NOT putting down these locationless caches. They have their own charm, and as I "bag" a few more of them, I'm sure my appreciation (true and imagined) will go up.

Anyway, 10 minutes after my last post, I logged the Statue of Liberty cache using the coords that George had posted for his find...AND my PICTURE which I took when I was truly there !

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/317511_200.jpg Anyone got a light?

George, now that I read your post on that find, I can JUST IMAGINE how funny it must have been for you to see that KNOWING there was a cache just waiting to be found ! Funny !

Gotta go...there HAS to be more to life than caching ! NAH!

Ron

quote:

....I have a pic of that chinese statue of liberty in my camera ! Guess I will grab the coordinates from your post and claim it !

Now that's easy caching ! Thanks for turning me on to that one.

Ron

Only one person can cliam each statue. I got that one first, just like I got the Ceres Drive in first, no one else can claim the same one.

george

....you mean I actually have to READ the requirements in these LOCATIONLESS caches ?

Bummer....maybe that's why I haven't done any !

Deleted the find, but check out the pic I took anyway. I think it will still show up...I'll take a look at it just after I post this.

ADDED NOTE: Yep, the link I provided in the post above still works...you can see my "illigitmate" picture of lady liberty which is entitled.."Got a light anybody?"

Ron (the non "locationless" cacher)

BTW...see the newest cache in Stockton...similar to Squirrels Stashe ! Go for it George !

ron

quote:

....any others interested in "locationless" caches.

Take a look at this......

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=5110928644

I've already read though most of that thread. I agree with a lot of it. Airport? Watertower? Zoo? Come on. There is an airport right down the street, a water tower right down the street, and a zoo is not hard to find. I'm torn.

There's nothing like watching the find count go up. I'll pick and choose the ones that look fun.

george

Hey, did anyone go caching today? No activity on the forum, so I would guess everyone is outdoors.

Yesterday (Friday) I went to Sac to visit with my daughter from Colorado who was in town for the day. I got a couple up there....didn't like the way the capitol pics turned out so will do it another time.

Today (Saturday) I stayed in town and succumbed to a couple of "locationless" caches...OK fun, but not biggies.

I also placed a "locationless" but got an email from an approver in Georgia that he thought it wouldn't fly. I emailed him back with some reasons I thought it would and suggested he send it along to Jeremy too. Will see what happens. It is definitely a different kind of locationless, and I doubt anyone would log it soon...bet it wouldn't get more than a couple of logs a year! Intrigued? Stay tuned to see if it flys.

Ron

I went a hit a bunch of Fresno area caches. The ones around the city parks, not up in the hills. Very poor. Two are missing and not archived. One appears to be missing and the owner hasn't checked. Tried for it just in case and I couldn't find it either. One we did found was nothing but a scattered container and a torn geo note. That's about half the caches. One nice one by a creek. Good for the kids, one interesting multi cache (learned a little about Festus). One drive by that you just need to find the name of a motel. Over all kind of week.

george

Not big numbers, but one cache will probablly be 10 miles in by bike, maybe farther. Kevin and I should be able to get 3 caches tomorrow and maybe hide one each. No Ron can put some miles in on foot but I don't think he's gone 10 miles on foot for one cache yet.

I'll post on how the hunt goes. I hope we don't get hurt.

george

Sorry to hear from George that the Fresno park caches were a disappointment....guess they need to do some maintenance down there.

Anxious to hear about the latest George/Kevin adventure too...I do have a bike George and my longest hikes are usually 10 miles ROUND TRIP, so if it's 10 miles ONE WAY, I would probably bike it, but depends on terrain.

And now my big news...

Today I spent 1.5 hours with Ethan Harp, a cameraman and Scott (SFM12) doing a channel 3 story on geocaching. Scott's neighbor is a cameraman and though Ethan couldn't get this together at the picnic time, it finally came together. (Scott has hidden Acorn 28 and is one of only 2 people who successfully completed my ONLY ON SUNDAY cache).

We met at Lodi Lake and took them on a hunt for Triple Digit Heat. Scott and I had both already found it, so we let Ethan Harp try to find it, but toward the end we narrowed it down for him as he was depending too much on the gps.

Both Scott and I talked a lot about the hobby and the feature should run on a Saturday or Sunday soon. It will run about 2.5 minutes according to Harp. I'll let you know the times when he sends them to me.

Along those same lines, I have a 2 minute video of Jeremy Irish taking tv reporters on a cache hunt. Forgot to bring it to the picnic. If someone has a 12 volt tv/vcr combo we could look at it at the next picnic.

Still no news on my locationless cache....I think it has been passed on to Jeremy for final approval/disapproval.

Finally, what's up with LO/F, Mike Morris...I know Mike had a big teaching assignment this weekend. LO probably recuping from tests....or from Revenge, Sweet Revenge !

Ron

quote:

Anxious to hear about the latest George/Kevin adventure too...I do have a bike George and my longest hikes are usually 10 miles ROUND TRIP, so if it's 10 miles ONE WAY, I would probably bike it, but depends on terrain.

20 miles round trip, 2 caches found, well actually 3 caches found, and one hid. Here's the story of the third cache.

We had found the first cache and were going on to the second, we had never been to this part of the park and we ended up taking a wrong turn. We dead end on this trail on there is a 1 ft long black pvc pipe with and end cap. We unscrew the end cap, hoping it wasn't a bomb and find an old old moldy wet log. It was definitely an old cache. But it's not listed on geocaching.com. We signed the log book, put it back and then went on to find the second cache. We still another 10 miles from the planned thrid and we were worn out, but we ended up exploring and ended up take the gruelling way out.

quote:

And now my big news...

Today I spent 1.5 hours with Ethan Harp, a cameraman and Scott (SFM12) doing a channel 3 story on geocaching. Scott's neighbor is a cameraman and though Ethan couldn't get this together at the picnic time, it finally came together. (Scott has hidden Acorn 28 and is one of only 2 people who successfully completed my ONLY ON SUNDAY cache).

We met at Lodi Lake and took them on a hunt for Triple Digit Heat. Scott and I had both already found it, so we let Ethan Harp try to find it, but toward the end we narrowed it down for him as he was depending too much on the gps.

Both Scott and I talked a lot about the hobby and the feature should run on a Saturday or Sunday soon. It will run about 2.5 minutes according to Harp. I'll let you know the times when he sends them to me.

Along those same lines, I have a 2 minute video of Jeremy Irish taking tv reporters on a cache hunt. Forgot to bring it to the picnic. If someone has a 12 volt tv/vcr combo we could look at it at the next picnic.

Still no news on my locationless cache....I think it has been passed on to Jeremy for final approval/disapproval.

Ron

Be sure to give us a heads up on the date of the airing. I wished I could have gone with you guys.

george

In regard to the channel 3 cache hunt I did with Scott, George had this to say:

Be sure to give us a heads up on the date of the airing. I wished I could have gone with you guys.

george

To which I respond:

George, when you have mastered the ability to be in two places at the same time, you will indeed be the master cacher, not to mention in demand by all kinds of government agencies !

Ron