Stockton & Modesto California Geocaching...Part 2

Ron Streeter

I am curious as to what you two are up to.

I went out to Del Puerto canyon today. I found three.

Thank Frank

Signature

Judson Forever

I had enough hiking when I got to Canyon Cache, I looked at the hike and figured I would come back another time. I did drive by Del Puerto creek, there were alot of people there and I told LO that I would wait to do that one with her. She didn't have any interest in making those other hikes. I did leave a travel bug Big Air Red in Thank Frank, I noticed the Morris clan hadn't been out there yet. I figured they'll make the trek soon.

Hello all

Well, I just made it home from my short little trip to Ventura. I was able to find 4 caches down there. What a difference in caches. The ones I found were VERY easy...like walk right up and there it is easy! The scenery was great though. I found two that were right on the beach and another that was wayyyyy up a hill (that one was NOT easy in terrain) and provided an awesome view of both the city itself and the ocean.

I had hoped to put together a virtual while there, but I ran out of time.

I hope everyone has a fun weekend. I shall be spending the rest of mine studying for an ugly micro test Monday afternoon...BLECH! icon_mad.gif

See ya

Jaimee

Hello all

Well, I just made it home from my short little trip to Ventura. I was able to find 4 caches down there. What a difference in caches. The ones I found were VERY easy...like walk right up and there it is easy! The scenery was great though. I found two that were right on the beach and another that was wayyyyy up a hill (that one was NOT easy in terrain) and provided an awesome view of both the city itself and the ocean.

I had hoped to put together a virtual while there, but I ran out of time.

I hope everyone has a fun weekend. I shall be spending the rest of mine studying for an ugly micro test Monday afternoon...BLECH! icon_mad.gif

See ya

Jaimee

I forgot..I wanted to share something funny with you all.

My mom and I set out yesterday morning to do some photographing around Ventura. She and I both grew up there, and we wanted to get some pics of old houses we lived in, schools, etc.

We first stopped at the Bayside Cross cache, which provides some spectacular views of the city. She took several pictures there, and I also took some of a hawk that was about 5 feet from me.

On we went to photographing various places around the city..took about 30 pictures. My mom said suddenly, "Something isn't right here..it is past 36 exposures now!!" She kept clicking to take pics, and the number on the camera just kept advancing. Hmmm...something odd. So, she decides to open the camera. Guess what?? NO FILM!!! We took all those pics with no film in the camera!! Smart, huh??

Don't tell her I told you!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

I forgot..I wanted to share something funny with you all.

My mom and I set out yesterday morning to do some photographing around Ventura. She and I both grew up there, and we wanted to get some pics of old houses we lived in, schools, etc.

We first stopped at the Bayside Cross cache, which provides some spectacular views of the city. She took several pictures there, and I also took some of a hawk that was about 5 feet from me.

On we went to photographing various places around the city..took about 30 pictures. My mom said suddenly, "Something isn't right here..it is past 36 exposures now!!" She kept clicking to take pics, and the number on the camera just kept advancing. Hmmm...something odd. So, she decides to open the camera. Guess what?? NO FILM!!! We took all those pics with no film in the camera!! Smart, huh??

Don't tell her I told you!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

...congrats on finding Stumped. Now try Stumped Again.

Also, if you liked that park, you will like Sunol. Look for Chuguy's Jurcachic Park and my Burl Ives cache there. There are some others too, all spread across a huge park. Geo-Ca$h is good there too. Almost impossible to do all of them in 1 day. I still have a couple to do there. A LOT of terrain change...very steep to low.

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

Northern Harrier

Dam Cache

Berkeley Pedestrian Bridge

HJBTJ

and

The Chitactac Flashback

was stumped by Butterface.

Got off to a late start so I wasn't able to hit as many as I had planned for. Plus we spent a hour plus at the Mission. After that I went to REI to buy a hiking stick and check out if there were any deals (there were). This left time for 3 caches I new grouped close together.

Well the first "butterface" was in an eucalyptus grove that destoryed by satalite reception. 60+ ft accuracy. The ground was covered inleaves and bark and there was just too much ground to cover. So I went for the other two in the same park I got within 200 ft of one and then I could see a huge ravine choked with bushes that I'd have to traverse, not to mention a really steep climb in and out. I switched to the last coords and it too was on the other side of the ravine. I shook my head, walked back to the car, and took the family to dinner. Another day.

george

....re ONLY FOUND 5 TODAY.

Well, the bay area is not the American River at Sacramento ! Add terrain to the hunt and you might expect to get fewer caches. This is certainly the case at places like Round Valley (though it IS possible to get all of them there). Sunol is another park where you could wear yourself out getting all the caches in the park. Oh, and don't forget Briones and Las Trampas....these are all cache heavens...and body killers.

So you have obtained a walking stick ! Where will that fasten to on your bike?

Heading out Monday with M.Morris...maybe we can come up with some mischief for the other area cachers to go for.

Ron

icon_wink.gif

....re ONLY FOUND 5 TODAY.

Well, the bay area is not the American River at Sacramento ! Add terrain to the hunt and you might expect to get fewer caches. This is certainly the case at places like Round Valley (though it IS possible to get all of them there). Sunol is another park where you could wear yourself out getting all the caches in the park. Oh, and don't forget Briones and Las Trampas....these are all cache heavens...and body killers.

So you have obtained a walking stick ! Where will that fasten to on your bike?

Heading out Monday with M.Morris...maybe we can come up with some mischief for the other area cachers to go for.

Ron

icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

purra-purra is one of them, I've also herd of the hike in and camp cache also. Maybe I should get into mountian biking? Mike

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=20347

Yeah, burra burra is in Henry W. Coe state park. Awesome biking. Really rugged, I've biked all in there and you have some really steap fire roads and really twisty single track. I've done 20+ plus mile rides in the area but I'm really out of shape now.

I was planning at hitting all three in that park in one day of riding.

george

hey george lets plan a weekend day and go get them

kevin

quote:

purra-purra is one of them, I've also herd of the hike in and camp cache also. Maybe I should get into mountian biking? Mike

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=20347

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Yeah, burra burra is in Henry W. Coe state park. Awesome biking. Really rugged, I've biked all in there and you have some really steap fire roads and really twisty single track. I've done 20+ plus mile rides in the area but I'm really out of shape now.

I was planning at hitting all three in that park in one day of riding.

george

quote:
Originally posted by ivan tomaski:

hey george lets plan a weekend day and go get them

kevin

Guess what. There is a new one in the park so now there are 4. Check out the Mississippi Lake cache. I haven't actually mapped everything out so I don't know the actuall milage we'd have to but it to get them.

I have to work this saturday, but I'm trying to get out of it. If I can get out of it we can go this weekend. I'm soo out of shape I'm sure the ride is going to hurt. You know what? Even if I can't get out of working saturday, we can go on Sunday.

george

I took a little adventure to a place that I knew about but never have been too. I sincerly doubt any of you have been to the place either so I brought a cache along with me.

It's was kind of interesting getting there, I had to ask the locals for directions and even then I wasn't sure. I used some clues and figured I was getting close and then I found it. To say the least it was a really nice spot.

I hope you all like looking for it. I really like placing it.

It's not one of those quick and easy caches. You're going to have to scramble. But I didn't hide it as hard as I could have. I wouldn't have wanted you to go all that way and then NOT find the cache. It should be somewhat visible from the general area of the coordinates.

george

GPS........$349.00

GAS TO GO CACHING...........$20.00

FINDING NOTHING BUT KNIFES WITHOUT A CLUE..PRICELESS.

Yes, thats right, We found it with out a clue from Ron. This was our first of 15 for the day. We went up to Sac. Ron. We got back to late to call, I will give you a call about 8:00 in the morning. Mike

...you ^%$#*&^%$#!*(&^republican&^%(*&^%$# !

Well, at least I MUST have the satisfaction of knowing it took you more than 4 minutes once you were on the rock pile ! PLEASE tell me that !

And ....Congratulations ! Also, what a day you had..a long one with many miles and 15 caches.You outdid yourselves.

It's 8 a.m. I'll get off line in a minute to receive your call....&^%$&((*&&&&^%$#%$

Ron

Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

...you ^%$#*&^%$#!*(&^republican&^%(*&^%$# !

Well, at least I MUST have the satisfaction of knowing it took you more than 4 minutes once you were on the rock pile ! PLEASE tell me that !

And ....Congratulations ! Also, what a day you had..a long one with many miles and 15 caches.You outdid yourselves.

Ron

QUOTE]

I think I've still hold the title of the first and only person to stump mighty mike.

george

.....that kind of depends on your definition of stump.

Today I met Mike at the site of a new cache I placed which hasn't been published yet.

He had been looking about 7 minutes when I got there....beyond his usual "GPS took us right to it" and beyond the 4 minutes I normally give him to find a cache.

He continued to look for another 10 minutes or so before asking for a clue. I narrowed it down for him and he STILL needed another one. Once he had that, he got the cache. I don't know if he would have found it otherwise, but he COULD have. He's GOOD !

Anyway, I will get this cache published and the rest of you can go after it.

So, in the light rain, Mike and I planned our strategy for going after Grotto.

I showed Mike my computer/gps mapping program and the route it had plotted. We also had it plot an alternative route. We chose the second route and off we went. We dead-ended at a closed gate that looked pretty private. We went back to the original route and ended up .99 miles from the cache, but would have to have gone over a grey gate and the road pretty much ended after that.

After a call to George's answering machine we waited about 10 minutes and abandoned the search. It was raining pretty good and Mike was beat from his 15 cache day in Sac on Sunday.

After saying our goodbyes, I went on to the short line cache around the corner, and while I was driving, I thought about the grotto.

After getting the short line I reached back in my memory 10 years to a road I had explored. I went there and BINGO it was the right road.

The rain was letting up, so with 2WD only at my command, and the fact that George had made it in his little pickup, I charged on !

The short end of this story is: FTF----Grotto is mine !

See the find log for just a bit more story.

Ron

quote:

So, in the light rain, Mike and I planned our strategy for going after Grotto.

I showed Mike my computer/gps mapping program and the route it had plotted. We also had it plot an alternative route. We chose the second route and off we went. We dead-ended at a closed gate that looked pretty private. We went back to the original route and ended up .99 miles from the cache, but would have to have gone over a grey gate and the road pretty much ended after that.

After a call to George's answering machine we waited about 10 minutes and abandoned the search. It was raining pretty good and Mike was beat from his 15 cache day in Sac on Sunday.

After saying our goodbyes, I went on to the short line cache around the corner, and while I was driving, I thought about the grotto.

After getting the short line I reached back in my memory 10 years to a road I had explored. I went there and BINGO it was the right road.

The rain was letting up, so with 2WD only at my command, and the fact that George had made it in his little pickup, I charged on !

The short end of this story is: FTF----Grotto is mine !

See the find log for just a bit more story.

Ron

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

I actually stopped and asked a local where the area was. I had some rough directions from a friend a couple years ago and I knew what you had to go through to get to it but I wasn't sure.

I'm not sure which route you took but this is not the place to discuss that. I did leave some directions in the clue that clear some things up and let you know you're on the right track.

When are you going to hide the Modesto Get Together cache?

george

....I actually HAVE hidden the Modesto picnic cache....and some others as well, but unfortunately I have lagged in getting them published.

I will be doing some publishing tonight (Monday) and tomorrow. I am staying in all Tuesday until I go to work at 2:30, so everything should get done.

I told Mike today that I HAD hidden the picnic cache and that his Jeep would come in handy. That's not to say that ANYONE couldn't go for this cache, it just means more walking for some folks. It is not THAT far off a main road, so not a problem to walk it.

So, give me 6 to 18 hours and I will have published:

Revenge, Sweet Revenge and Modesto Picnic Leftovers and possibly some others.

Okey-Dokey?

Ron

....if God can't be your co-pilot, I WILL BE !

I'm assuming both YOU and your plane are reliable....I'm too young to die, and besides, I've earned a ride in a JET FIGHTER from HiFlier, so I have to live long enough to claim that prize ! (See MigAlley cache)

Count me in...FTF and answer to this message?!

Hey Ron...you weren't exactly the FTF the message. Pat and I read it just seconds after it was posted apparently. The post time was 7:17, and the clock on my puter showed that same time! I have NO interest in flying in a plane, so I didn't respond. Pat was most interested, but I wouldn't move my butt from the chair so that he could reply to Mike!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Hey Ron...you weren't exactly the FTF the message. Pat and I read it just seconds after it was posted apparently. The post time was 7:17, and the clock on my puter showed that same time! I have NO interest in flying in a plane, so I didn't respond. Pat was most interested, but I wouldn't move my butt from the chair so that he could reply to Mike!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Come on LO...as Forrest G. might have said..."finding is as finding does". And I might add...."posting is as posting does !"

Pat should have booted you out of the chair and answered the post. Probably room in the plane for more than one passenger, but too much baggage and the thing might not get off the ground !

Glad to see LO survived some testing and is at least still interested in the world of geocaching.

10:30 and am getting ready to publish a cache while watching PBS families recreating life in 1883 Montanta.

Ron

Well Ron LO was still working on some homework at the time so I couldn't expect her to get out of the chair when she has some assignments to finish. As for your new posts, I have seen them both this morning. I'm not sure how much LO has left to do for school, but maybe we'll get a chance to go out this afternoon, if it's not raining. icon_razz.gif

Well Ron LO was still working on some homework at the time so I couldn't expect her to get out of the chair when she has some assignments to finish. As for your new posts, I have seen them both this morning. I'm not sure how much LO has left to do for school, but maybe we'll get a chance to go out this afternoon, if it's not raining. icon_razz.gif

my husband is! I am taking an online course this semester, which is really convenient, and I had to get some things finished up there. He was nice enough to leave me in peace to finish my work!

We did go through lots and lots of caches after I got done though, and I now have a nice long list of ones to hit soon. I want to head back up to Sacramento one day and get the rest of those along the river. Ya up for another Sacto day Ron?? This time we will do what everyone else has done...drive and walk...drive and walk...I think we walked wayyyyyy too far last time! Or, bike riding would be cool too.

Ron..what did you think of Frontier House (I think that is what it was called)? I was reading a magazine last night and saw an ad for it...said it started 04/29 at 9 p.m. It was already 10:30, so I missed the first hour and a half icon_mad.gif but what I saw was pretty interesting!

Did you see that they are accepting application packets for the next Amazing Race?? Anyone wanna be my partner?????? I totally want to get on that show..it would be so much fun I think!

Oh..by the way..today is my one-year anniversary for quitting smoking! Don't you think I should celebrate somehow?? icon_biggrin.gif

Have a good day everyone

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

my husband is! I am taking an online course this semester, which is really convenient, and I had to get some things finished up there. He was nice enough to leave me in peace to finish my work!

We did go through lots and lots of caches after I got done though, and I now have a nice long list of ones to hit soon. I want to head back up to Sacramento one day and get the rest of those along the river. Ya up for another Sacto day Ron?? This time we will do what everyone else has done...drive and walk...drive and walk...I think we walked wayyyyyy too far last time! Or, bike riding would be cool too.

Ron..what did you think of Frontier House (I think that is what it was called)? I was reading a magazine last night and saw an ad for it...said it started 04/29 at 9 p.m. It was already 10:30, so I missed the first hour and a half icon_mad.gif but what I saw was pretty interesting!

Did you see that they are accepting application packets for the next Amazing Race?? Anyone wanna be my partner?????? I totally want to get on that show..it would be so much fun I think!

Oh..by the way..today is my one-year anniversary for quitting smoking! Don't you think I should celebrate somehow?? icon_biggrin.gif

Have a good day everyone

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

They sound like they want people with existing realationships. I'd love to do the race but it looks like the actuall race time would be during school, all the inerviews are during the summer though. So tempting, maybe if they have one that falls in the summer.

george

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

They sound like they want people with existing realationships. I'd love to do the race but it looks like the actuall race time would be during school, all the inerviews are during the summer though. So tempting, maybe if they have one that falls in the summer.

george

....The Mole (defunct) and Survivor series probably appeal to a lot of geocachers.

I have thought of going for several of these, but I think the thing that stops me is the odds against being chosen.

They get thousands (5 to 10K I think) of applicants and though the people on these shows look just like you and I, I can't get past the odds of getting chosen being so slim.

I looked at one app (can't remember which one) and you usually do a video tape, go for a two-day period to LA, etc. That would be fun I guess, and getting chosen would be GREAT !

The Amazing Race itself would be a lot of fun...and frustration...but finding those envelopes and doing the tasks looks great.

The show is quite compacted for viewing of course and some of those airplane trips are 10 to 18 hours....of tight seats !

The shooting schedules can't help but conflict with LIFE and jobs, but maybe a once-in-a-lifetime event like that would sway some bosses to say...sure, go for it.

Ron

I have wanted to apply to most every "reality" show that has surfaced. I usually go so far as to print the application, fill it out..and there it stops. I have pretty much decided against Survivor because I am just not willing to eat bugs and other nasty crap like they have to eat! The Mole was my favorite just because it was more of a thinking game, in my opinion, but it is now off the air icon_frown.gif

Amazing Race is also a thinking game of sorts, with some other fun physical stuff thrown in there. Yes, usually the teams have some kind of relationship. My mom and I were tossing around the idea of applying, and we would probably be a decent team. Pat and I..nope..too much arguing would go on! My best friend and I would bicker the whole time also.

There are some things about the Amazing Race that I wouldn't like, especially all the flying, but I do think that overall it would be a really neat thing to try. I look at some of those dopes on there now and just wonder how on earth they have made it this far. As Ron said, the odds of getting picked are pretty slim. I think it is just a matter of being lucky and catching the eye of one of the casting people! Gotta make good television you know!

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

I have wanted to apply to most every "reality" show that has surfaced. I usually go so far as to print the application, fill it out..and there it stops. I have pretty much decided against Survivor because I am just not willing to eat bugs and other nasty crap like they have to eat! The Mole was my favorite just because it was more of a thinking game, in my opinion, but it is now off the air icon_frown.gif

Amazing Race is also a thinking game of sorts, with some other fun physical stuff thrown in there. Yes, usually the teams have some kind of relationship. My mom and I were tossing around the idea of applying, and we would probably be a decent team. Pat and I..nope..too much arguing would go on! My best friend and I would bicker the whole time also.

There are some things about the Amazing Race that I wouldn't like, especially all the flying, but I do think that overall it would be a really neat thing to try. I look at some of those dopes on there now and just wonder how on earth they have made it this far. As Ron said, the odds of getting picked are pretty slim. I think it is just a matter of being lucky and catching the eye of one of the casting people! Gotta make good television you know!

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

...just when I almost caught up to them they break 800!

Re: "do anywhere" caches....I assume those are they same thing we've been calling "locationless"?

Ron

Yeah, they're the same thing, some are lame some are kind of cool. I like the 'where the wild things are'. Take a picture of an animal in the wild. Not the easiest thing to do. Waterfalls will be interesting also. I still haven't got a find on my Natural Arches locationless cache. They're a little harder to get to than a Barber Poll, or US Flag Poll.

george

....thanks George...I'll have to study those. Two you mentioned are interesting to me. The animals in the wild and the waterfall.

I have a beautiful closeup pic of a coyote I got at King Tut and I have two waterfall caches I have placed...one is virtual the other a cache which has just been found for the first time.

I'll have to read the requirements to see if I qualify.

The opportunity to place a "lame" one seems pretty good too...can't say I would approve of those too much.

Here's an idea. Find the lowest numbered street in your town and take a picture of the street sign. How about...If you have a street in your town that is a president's name...like Monroe...take a picture of it. Gimme a break !

Ron

quote:

....thanks George...I'll have to study those. Two you mentioned are interesting to me. The animals in the wild and the waterfall.

I have a beautiful closeup pic of a coyote I got at King Tut and I have two waterfall caches I have placed...one is virtual the other a cache which has just been found for the first time.

The opportunity to place a "lame" one seems pretty good too...can't say I would approve of those too much.

Here's an idea. Find the lowest numbered street in your town and take a picture of the street sign. How about...If you have a street in your town that is a president's name...like Monroe...take a picture of it. Gimme a break !

Ron

most of these locationless caches are bogus ways to boost peoples ratings. yellow jeep? and similar caches are a joke. i'll hike for most of mine. i'll admit to claiming the "where y'all from" cache but i think people are getting carried away with all the LC's

kevin icon_razz.gif

quote:

Ron

most of these locationless caches are bogus ways to boost peoples ratings. yellow jeep? and similar caches are a joke. i'll hike for most of mine. i'll admit to claiming the "where y'all from" cache but i think people are getting carried away with all the LC's

kevin icon_razz.gif

...take it easy big fella' you'll blow a gasket.

Can't call you now (6:30) but let me try a few things here.

Your camera came with some kind of software no doubt for organizing (and maybe working with) your photos.

Read the documentation for working with a single image. In my Olympus software I go to image, resize and just change one dimension. You want to try 640 x 480 first, then save the change you just made. Then right click on an image of the pic and look at its properties. This should show you the number of bytes.

You really want to get it to about 97K (or lower) so the program at Jeremy's end can manipulate the image a bit. I have submitted 98K and it wouldn't take sometimes.

I know these are pretty general instructions, but without having it in front of me, not much I can do. You'll get it. Do a little reading and continue experimenting.

Ron

quote:

I am haveing a HELL of a time trying to figure this dadgum thing out. How do you shrink a picture down to a 100kb. Some body please give me a call and tell me how it's done. Thanks,Mike

on my camera i change to a smaller image size on the camera itself. i use the tiff record mode and 640x480 image size

kevin

hey ron look at geoclipping in the general forum.

its a pda thing.

all modesto folks,

who has a garmin with memory for downloading maps

during a caching and software exchange day with cloudbase i aquired mapsource metroguide. pirate software is good. let me know if you need it.

kevin

...as it happens, I've spent the last hour or so looking at all the old and new threads on clipping and pda's. I guess you've seen the new guy's product...rshool...something.

I have about made a decision on what pda to get...won't reveal it yet. I'm about researched out and it's time to "pull the trigger". Might want to have one more look at yours in action though....

I recently bought the data cable for my Etrex, so might be in the market to look at your Garmin software.

I've never used the map software I got with my Magellan. I use the Delorme that I recommended to you Kevin and it looks like the mapping aspect on the PDA leaves a little to be desired.