Stockton & Modesto California Geocaching...Part 2

Ron Streeter

Wow..I had to read all the posts...change my clothes...take some notes..and now reply!

Where shall I start?? Yes..with RON! First off, are we women now a separate species?? Just wondered since you referred to "them" in one of your post. Actually, maybe we should be a different species since we seem to be MUCH higher on the evolutionary scale than men. icon_wink.gif

As for "airy" thoughts, tis better to have "airy" thoughts than none at all!! You have a group of very intelligent women floating around here mister...are you sure you want to get into a battle of the wits?? Seems as if you might be a bit unarmed for a fight of that sort!!! icon_eek.gif

Okay..done with Ron...for now. I am sure he will provide me with something else to respond to shortly!!!

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

Wow..I had to read all the posts...change my clothes...take some notes..and now reply!

Where shall I start?? Yes..with RON! First off, are we women now a separate species?? Just wondered since you referred to "them" in one of your post. Actually, maybe we should be a different species since we seem to be MUCH higher on the evolutionary scale than men. icon_wink.gif

As for "airy" thoughts, tis better to have "airy" thoughts than none at all!! You have a group of very intelligent women floating around here mister...are you sure you want to get into a battle of the wits?? Seems as if you might be a bit unarmed for a fight of that sort!!! icon_eek.gif

Okay..done with Ron...for now. I am sure he will provide me with something else to respond to shortly!!!

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

I think that we should all meet out there for the underwater cache. It would be way fun to watch folks going for it!! I was on the swim team when I was younger...I would try it! Pat says he would do it as well. I don't know though...depends on how thick the layer of muck is on the water. The water out there was pretty nasty yesterday.

Let us know if/when anyone decides to go out there. We have to go back out because we had the wrong coordinates for the Bear Creek cache.

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

I think that we should all meet out there for the underwater cache. It would be way fun to watch folks going for it!! I was on the swim team when I was younger...I would try it! Pat says he would do it as well. I don't know though...depends on how thick the layer of muck is on the water. The water out there was pretty nasty yesterday.

Let us know if/when anyone decides to go out there. We have to go back out because we had the wrong coordinates for the Bear Creek cache.

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

.....LO....I give up ! You and your fellow (no pun intended) women are god's gift to mankind (no pun intended).

You women are the greatest cachers ever born of woman ! You also can cook, clean and do other things better than men can! Is it any wonder we can't live with you or without you!

(but just wait until the cache of the sexes is underway)

Ron

icon_wink.gif

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

.....LO....I give up ! You and your fellow (no pun intended) women are god's gift to mankind (no pun intended).

You women are the greatest cachers ever born of woman ! You also can cook, clean and do other things better than men can! Is it any wonder we can't live with you or without you!

(but just wait until the cache of the sexes is underway)

Ron

icon_wink.gif

Mary talked about men eating crow. Yes...yes..yes!!! That is SO what I want to see. With all these big macho men around here, we will have to set up about a 20-foot crow buffet. They will be eatin' all day!!!!!!!!

Finally...someone siding with the SMURT one around here!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Mary talked about men eating crow. Yes...yes..yes!!! That is SO what I want to see. With all these big macho men around here, we will have to set up about a 20-foot crow buffet. They will be eatin' all day!!!!!!!!

Finally...someone siding with the SMURT one around here!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I was logging a find icon_razz.gif

It was not my fault that we had the wrong coordinates. Pat printed the sheets out long ago. My philosophy is this: Whomever prints the sheets is the one responsible for making sure all the necessary information is available before heading out to hunt. This includes looking for any updates! Would I admit it if it was my fault?? Hmmmm...NOPE!!!!! Why take the blame if there is a man around to do it for you???? icon_confused.gif

So..where to head to tomorrow afternoon??? I have several I want to do, but they are all in different directions, unfortunately.

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Oh..Ron...I just sent you a very special email!!!

I was logging a find icon_razz.gif

It was not my fault that we had the wrong coordinates. Pat printed the sheets out long ago. My philosophy is this: Whomever prints the sheets is the one responsible for making sure all the necessary information is available before heading out to hunt. This includes looking for any updates! Would I admit it if it was my fault?? Hmmmm...NOPE!!!!! Why take the blame if there is a man around to do it for you???? icon_confused.gif

So..where to head to tomorrow afternoon??? I have several I want to do, but they are all in different directions, unfortunately.

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Oh..Ron...I just sent you a very special email!!!

Hey all

For those interested, what dates would be good to do a Monterey caching trip? Pat and I both have Fridays off work, so we would probably head over on a Friday and stay a night or two. I know the Morris clan will be gone the first two weeks of May..we will be gone the first two weeks of June. The weekend of the 24th of May would be cool for us..or sometime after the second week of June.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Hey all

For those interested, what dates would be good to do a Monterey caching trip? Pat and I both have Fridays off work, so we would probably head over on a Friday and stay a night or two. I know the Morris clan will be gone the first two weeks of May..we will be gone the first two weeks of June. The weekend of the 24th of May would be cool for us..or sometime after the second week of June.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

....she's gone to her room.

Hey George/Tomaski....you HAD to put that bug in my ear about a Palm device. I spent a half-hour looking at the Handspring site on the web.

An incredible number of devices you can attach to it including a phone module AND a Magellan gps !

Looks pretty nifty. Then I went to the Pathetique page (spelling?) and studiend that awhile. I DO like the idea of his dressed up web pages displaying on the Palm.

One possible shortcoming might be that he updates once a week on Wednesday. The way George has been peppering the landscape with caches, there's no way to keep the thing current with just a once a week download from the page guy.!

Still, another way to separate me from my money.

I notice Handspring has a color device for about $300. Any point in getting color? I suppose if you wanted to get their camera device (free with the fancy visor) then you might want to show them in color.

Any thoughts you two (or anyone else) want to share here would be appreciated.

Ron

OK, LO....quit your sputtering and fix dinner !

I am thinking about maybe taking the morning off work and heading out for a bit. I have a class at 12:40, but that would give me a few hours to hunt a few down. Anyone else gonna be out and about? Or does anyone want to join me??

Ron...I didn't have to cook tonight..Pat took me out after school! Nice guy, huh??

Jaimee icon_wink.gif

I am thinking about maybe taking the morning off work and heading out for a bit. I have a class at 12:40, but that would give me a few hours to hunt a few down. Anyone else gonna be out and about? Or does anyone want to join me??

Ron...I didn't have to cook tonight..Pat took me out after school! Nice guy, huh??

Jaimee icon_wink.gif

....Ok, Ok, settle down...it's all in fun !

Glad your hubbie took you for dinner. That was nice of him.

I have been exploring new and exciting electronic gizmos (PDAs for one) but there is something the men and women of caching SHOULD check out.

The EasyGPS program has been around for along time at geocaching.com but I only recently started using it. It's neat.

First of all get the program itself onto your computer.

Then check some caches you would like downloaded to your computer.

Download them into a file (it gives a default name to the file) and then you can go in and edit things like the icon for the flag, circle, etc AND the name of the cache. So instead of GC3425 or some such you can change it to REVENGE.

After that, if you have a data cable you can take the coords and names and all right to your gps by downloading from the EasyGPS to your GPS. It sure beats handtyping them in, and after you've used it for a while you'll catch on to how neat it is.

There are some wranglings you have to go through, but worth it.

I have to change settings a lot because I am downloading to both a Magellan and a Garmin, but they both then contain everything I need. The Magellan hooks to my laptop in the car and takes me to the parking lot and the Etrex takes me into the field to find the railroad track and the cache....with a little help from LO/F.

Anyway, check it out if you haven't already.

Ron

...after they are in your GPS it's an easy matter to UPLOAD them to any mapping program you might have like TOPO! (from National Geographic/Wildflower) or TOPO USA! from Delorme.

If you don't have a mapping program...get one..they are invaluable at picturing where all of George's caches are in relationship to one another !

Ron

Gotta go now...from school to home....good night.

If anyone wants to go camping the weekend of the 24th, then we better get reservations now. I do believe that this is memorial day weekend. It would give us an extra day of caching, but the campgrounds will fill up early. Some are first come first serve and George and I could come down with a cold on Thursday and grab some sites.

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

Did George have his surgery today? How is he doing? We have reservations for pinecrest lake starting May 24. Do you all want to camp in the mountians on that date or do you prefer the Ocean.Mike M.

I'll do either. Mary is getting soft. We used to go backbacking in the Emigrant Wilderness but now she needs cable TV and Nintendo. I need to replace a tank on my RV but I'll go anywhere if people want to get together. I've been meaing to get up to Pinecrest to do some mountainbiking and to place some REAL wilderness caches.

Oh, my surgury went fine.. I'm going back to work tomorrow. I can talk. My classes are well behaved enought that I don't need to raise my voice to teach.

george

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

quote:
Originally posted by ivan tomaski:

i'm thinking about going after the caches on

mt. diablo and i'm looking for company in my suffering. any takers? mike, george, ron...

..come on guys. its a killer of a hike but

nice views. email me or leave a message here

kevin

When?

george

sat 4/27 my 35th birthday

kk

....I think I'll pass on the Mt. Diablo on the 27th....the Stockton Asparagus Festival is this weekend and I also want to find a few flatland or foothills caches.

Those top of the Mt. caches have been around a long time and I'v managed to avoid them so far. While there get my Purple Top and Pines and Bob's McStone cache. These will get you warmed up for the ones higher up the mountain.

Ron

I didn't realize that was a holiday weekend. I guess that might not be the best time, huh?? We will be leaving on May 31 for our trip to Missouri...back on the 15th of June. I don't camp once it gets hot around here, unless of course it's on the coast. We camped up at Melones last year when it was hot..and it was not very fun (especially if you are a wimp like me and hate the heat!).

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

I didn't realize that was a holiday weekend. I guess that might not be the best time, huh?? We will be leaving on May 31 for our trip to Missouri...back on the 15th of June. I don't camp once it gets hot around here, unless of course it's on the coast. We camped up at Melones last year when it was hot..and it was not very fun (especially if you are a wimp like me and hate the heat!).

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

....I can't go caching on Tuesday, but I could on Wednesday....I wouldn't have to be at work until 5. If that works for you, let me know some of the caches you want to go after and maybe they are some I need to.

I need Cranes and a couple of more in that direction, and some up by your O' Pioneers area.

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

....she's gone to her room.

Hey George/Tomaski....you HAD to put that bug in my ear about a Palm device. I spent a half-hour looking at the Handspring site on the web.

An incredible number of devices you can attach to it including a phone module AND a Magellan gps !

I hear the plug in gps works well but isn't as prone to being knocked about in the wilderness. The plug-ins are cool. They keep coming out with new ones too.

quote:

Looks pretty nifty. Then I went to the Pathetique page (spelling?) and studiend that awhile. I DO like the idea of his dressed up web pages displaying on the Palm.

One possible shortcoming might be that he updates once a week on Wednesday. The way George has been peppering the landscape with caches, there's no way to keep the thing current with just a once a week download from the page guy.!

It still cuts down on the number of printouts I have to cary around with me. When I went to berkeley a few weekends ago, I just loaded all the pages from the area and started hitting caches. No paper printouts whatsoever. Plus, I can cary hundreds and hundreds of caches pages with me all the time.

Another downfall is that you can't pick and choose specific pages to load. I carry lot's of cache pages that I've already found.

I've noticed that the palmable gps site has set up some pages for specific users. Bunkerdave, etc. I think he may have set those up so that they don't load their found caches. I supose if I asked nicely he'd set one up for me. He set the Patterson Zip code up really quickly when I asked.

quote:

Still, another way to separate me from my money.

I notice Handspring has a color device for about $300. Any point in getting color? I suppose if you wanted to get their camera device (free with the fancy visor) then you might want to show them in color.

Any thoughts you two (or anyone else) want to share here would be appreciated.

Ron

OK, LO....quit your sputtering and fix dinner !

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

I use my handspring for may other things besides hold cache pages. I've got my whole address book and schedule on the thing. It syncs up with Microsoft Outlook so whenever I schedule something one one it transfers to the other when I Hotsync. I've used it to read ebooks on long trips. I read the autobiography of Fredick Douglas on a train ride to Salt Lake City one time. Lot's of software goes with the thing. Color would just be a plus.

More toys.

george

quote:

....I can't go caching on Tuesday, but I could on Wednesday....I wouldn't have to be at work until 5. If that works for you, let me know some of the caches you want to go after and maybe they are some I need to.

I need Cranes and a couple of more in that direction, and some up by your O' Pioneers area.

Ron

I really need to redo crane cache in turlock. It's too easy for the likes of people around here. You should wait for me to place the cache in a more chalanging place.

george

....and other cache views and news!

George....

All the more reason for me to get cranes while it's easy !

Which brings up my next observation. I am starting to think that there is a certain "regionalism" that is becoming apparent in caching.

As an example, several of my caches which have been found recently by non-Modesto area cachers were apparently a little difficult for those finders. Some of these finders are quite adept at hiding and placing caches. I think we have set a standard for hiding for each other that is different than it is for people from other areas.

I don't think this is a bad thing, just a "symptom" or "symbol" of how we are hiding them. There are of course easier ones we are hiding too, but maybe you get my drift.

To further prove this point, look at George's comments to some of us and of Fattuhr's and my comments about the LLAMA caches in Sac. Obviously those are extreme examples of easy to find caches, and maybe examples of a particular cache hider, but again, maybe you get my drift.

Now that I think about it, some of the rock pile caches and some others WERE challenging in Sac.

Well, rambling, so will quit.

George, thanks for thoughts on PDAs. I always do a lot of research on such purchases, with the result sometimes being I talk myself out of things.

Ron

....and it's a small world.

After exploring many forums here about pdas, avantgo and the Pathetique site, I discovered that the latter is run by none-other-than BLSCEARCE (Brian) who was one of the co-sponsors of the recent SUNOL geo-get-together.

Had I known at that time about this great device/combination, I would have mined him for all pertinent info.

If nothing else, this is yet one more treasure hunt....dealing with treasure hunting.

I have also discovered that there are factory reconditioned models selling at basically half price with full warranty...that appeals to the Scotch in me !

Ron

quote:

....and it's a small world.

After exploring many forums here about pdas, avantgo and the Pathetique site, I discovered that the latter is run by none-other-than BLSCEARCE (Brian) who was one of the co-sponsors of the recent SUNOL geo-get-together.

Had I known at that time about this great device/combination, I would have mined him for all pertinent info.

If nothing else, this is yet one more treasure hunt....dealing with treasure hunting.

I have also discovered that there are factory reconditioned models selling at basically half price with full warranty...that appeals to the Scotch in me !

Ron

go get it big guy. i've got 600 caches loaded in mine and a bunch of games and stuff. that has only used 19% of the memory

kevin

Hello all

Whew..what a job that was! We just got home a bit ago from placing my first letterbox. Since it works more on clues than the GPS coordinates, it takes quite a bit more work to place a letterbox.

I hope that some of you are interested in looking for this one. Please make sure to take some kind of "signature" stamp with you when you go..only those who stamp the journal can log it as a find!!!

If any of you go look for this, please give me some feedback. I was going to ask for a tester before posting it, but I figured I would just go for it. I am sure there will be some bugs to work out, so let me know any ideas/suggestions if you find it.

Thanks!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Hello all

Whew..what a job that was! We just got home a bit ago from placing my first letterbox. Since it works more on clues than the GPS coordinates, it takes quite a bit more work to place a letterbox.

I hope that some of you are interested in looking for this one. Please make sure to take some kind of "signature" stamp with you when you go..only those who stamp the journal can log it as a find!!!

If any of you go look for this, please give me some feedback. I was going to ask for a tester before posting it, but I figured I would just go for it. I am sure there will be some bugs to work out, so let me know any ideas/suggestions if you find it.

Thanks!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

....moving up the ladder?

Looks like I'm 4th in the world for placements and 42 for finds....room for improvement !

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there are about 25,500 cachers now and around 22,500 caches. (these are both BALLPARK figures).

Today I found:

O'Pioneers (FTF?)

Sonny

Sutter Creek

I also placed two which will be published in the next few days. Kind of nice NOT to be at Knights Ferry area for a change. icon_rolleyes.gif

Ron

[This message was edited by Ron Streeter on April 24, 2002 at 06:58 PM.]