Stockton & Modesto California Geocaching...Part 2

Ron Streeter

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

WOW! It seems everyone is a teacher in here, Carolyn Teaches grade school at Martone Here in Modesto, Besides Flying charters and Test flying I also teach Aviation. Is anyone not a Teacher? Go Gettem today LO/F. M.Morris

yes i'm the welder. but i taught our apprentice welding class for a very short time while the other instructor was disabled.

kevin kee

weldmaster

.....Tomaski's reference to me being 5th in the state is using Dan Miller's tracking page. Here's the link.

Dan Miller Stats

http://www.insidecorner.com/geocaching/stats/users.cgi

Dan's page allows you to look at states, users, etc. Experiment a bit and you'll get some pretty good information on where YOU stand in California.

Dan's ranking of our California standing is a composite of the number we have found AND hidden.

It is updated periodically, so don't panic if it's not right on the money on your stats.

HERE'S ANOTHER ONE:

Geocaching Sweden

http://www.geocaching.info.se/

When you go to this one click on World Statistics on the left side of the screen. It takes you to a place you can look at top placers and top finders. Kind of interesting info. Again updated periodically.

These two took the place of one done by Moun10Bike some time ago. I think he pulled it because Jeremy Irish wasn't too fond of it.

All the data in both of the stat sites comes right from Jeremy's database. I don't know how they do it, but it is legal. Buxley's maps (if you are familiar with them) also pull data from Jeremy's database.

Hope you "newcomers" enjoy these two sites.

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

Im waiting to hear if the Ceres crew had GOOD LUCK today also.Ron, Why the switch to computers?

I need to get together with you to learn computers. We hid another cache today after going to the new DELTA cache,we also are going to post our first virtual cache. I would like to talk to HIFlyer, I would love to hear some war stories.

M.Morris

[This message was edited by C&MMorris on April 09, 2002 at 09:00 PM.]

Hey all

Whew..we made it! Okay, this could be a saga, so here goes.

We first stopped at Tomaski's Big Island cache. We walked up the trail....down the trail...up the trail...trying to figure out how on earth to get to where we needed to be. We figured out what we thought was the right way..took that approach...only to discover it was pretty much a dead-end. On the way out, I started to slip on a leg. I am totally not a gymnast, and I think that someone needed to be a balance beam expert to get out of this without falling! Well, guess what?? Yep, you got it..I fell! I started to slide, held the GPS up in the air so it wouldn't go for a swim..and I thought "Whew..I made it." WRONG..I biffed right on my butt. I had on jeans and tennis shoes, and they were pretty well soaked. We finally got out of there, walked around a bit trying to figure out another route, and actually went back through the first area. After a bit,we gave up on that one. I was wet enough and we had several more caches in mind.

We pulled into the parking lot to look for the Morris' new ones, Tomaski's new ones, and to look for Good Luck once again. As we parked, Pat said "That's George's van." Nope..I knew it wasn't. It was that dang Tomaski! He beat us icon_mad.gif And I was SO looking forward to that Baskin-Robbins prize! Well, we met up with Tomaski and clan at Fern Gully. I wanted to be mad at him, but then I saw he had his family with him, and it was then impossible to be mad cuz his girls are sooooo cute! Take bug spray when you visit this one..mosquitoes were thick.

Okay..the best part..drum roll please...WE FOUND GOOD LUCK!! Pat found it first. I had my hand right over the top of it and moved on to somewhere else. But..it is done..we did it.

We also found Michael Jr's cache and Kevin's other one out there. We had a nice walk..and it was a fun day. Oh..we also placed one while we were out..almost forgot about that one.

Now, on to the other comments. Tomaski is joining the Alliance also?? I am thinking that calling you guys Dalliance would be much more appropriate!! icon_biggrin.gif

So, does anyone have my back against these scoundrels??? I am feeling very alone here. Poor, poor LO icon_frown.gif

Okay..off I go to post. I shall check in later to see how many congrats I have on Good Luck! icon_wink.gif

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Hey all

Whew..we made it! Okay, this could be a saga, so here goes.

We first stopped at Tomaski's Big Island cache. We walked up the trail....down the trail...up the trail...trying to figure out how on earth to get to where we needed to be. We figured out what we thought was the right way..took that approach...only to discover it was pretty much a dead-end. On the way out, I started to slip on a leg. I am totally not a gymnast, and I think that someone needed to be a balance beam expert to get out of this without falling! Well, guess what?? Yep, you got it..I fell! I started to slide, held the GPS up in the air so it wouldn't go for a swim..and I thought "Whew..I made it." WRONG..I biffed right on my butt. I had on jeans and tennis shoes, and they were pretty well soaked. We finally got out of there, walked around a bit trying to figure out another route, and actually went back through the first area. After a bit,we gave up on that one. I was wet enough and we had several more caches in mind.

We pulled into the parking lot to look for the Morris' new ones, Tomaski's new ones, and to look for Good Luck once again. As we parked, Pat said "That's George's van." Nope..I knew it wasn't. It was that dang Tomaski! He beat us icon_mad.gif And I was SO looking forward to that Baskin-Robbins prize! Well, we met up with Tomaski and clan at Fern Gully. I wanted to be mad at him, but then I saw he had his family with him, and it was then impossible to be mad cuz his girls are sooooo cute! Take bug spray when you visit this one..mosquitoes were thick.

Okay..the best part..drum roll please...WE FOUND GOOD LUCK!! Pat found it first. I had my hand right over the top of it and moved on to somewhere else. But..it is done..we did it.

We also found Michael Jr's cache and Kevin's other one out there. We had a nice walk..and it was a fun day. Oh..we also placed one while we were out..almost forgot about that one.

Now, on to the other comments. Tomaski is joining the Alliance also?? I am thinking that calling you guys Dalliance would be much more appropriate!! icon_biggrin.gif

So, does anyone have my back against these scoundrels??? I am feeling very alone here. Poor, poor LO icon_frown.gif

Okay..off I go to post. I shall check in later to see how many congrats I have on Good Luck! icon_wink.gif

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

yes i'll be the first to congatulate you on good luck. but i've got a question, why didn't you go back to the big island? were you afraid? toughen up woman!!! battle of the sexes my hiney. if you haven't got the "nothing but dino's" cache yet do them on the same day, since they hold the same sentance. icon_razz.gif

kevin

yes i'll be the first to congatulate you on good luck. but i've got a question, why didn't you go back to the big island? were you afraid? toughen up woman!!! battle of the sexes my hiney. if you haven't got the "nothing but dino's" cache yet do them on the same day, since they hold the same sentance. icon_razz.gif

kevin

We didn't go back tonite cuz it was getting dark..but I will return! Actually, I think I am going to gather some female friends and then have ourselves a little picnic in the middle of the dang lake! icon_biggrin.gif

Dragonfly is next on the list of repeat caches. That is the only one that I have not been successful at after 2 visits. I think I will take my daughter since she seems to have a knack with rocks. Friday is looking good for Dragonfly and a few others I have been eyeballing.

Jaimee icon_wink.gif

We didn't go back tonite cuz it was getting dark..but I will return! Actually, I think I am going to gather some female friends and then have ourselves a little picnic in the middle of the dang lake! icon_biggrin.gif

Dragonfly is next on the list of repeat caches. That is the only one that I have not been successful at after 2 visits. I think I will take my daughter since she seems to have a knack with rocks. Friday is looking good for Dragonfly and a few others I have been eyeballing.

Jaimee icon_wink.gif

Hey..I just thought of something that could be very fun! I think that we should do a "girls versus boys" cache hunt. The guys could hide one for the gals to find..the gals could hide one for the guys to find. We women are in the minority, but I don't think that matters if you consider the amount of smarts that we have compared to men icon_razz.gif

So, whaddya say; any of you fellas up for a challange of this sort??

Jaimee

Hey..I just thought of something that could be very fun! I think that we should do a "girls versus boys" cache hunt. The guys could hide one for the gals to find..the gals could hide one for the guys to find. We women are in the minority, but I don't think that matters if you consider the amount of smarts that we have compared to men icon_razz.gif

So, whaddya say; any of you fellas up for a challange of this sort??

Jaimee

It is now 9:45 and I'm finally done with my day. Work all day, attend class all night. Sucks. I get back and everyone is picking teams.

I am constantly amazed at the morris clan. They got a FTF today but I have some questions to ask them about the cache.

I need to go check on Del Puerto Creek but that's going to have to wait until tomorrow. I'm not about to go check it out in the dark. I'm going to let Good Luck sit for a little while before I try that one again.

Looks like there will be lots to talk about at the get together on the 20th.

george

.....SHE FOUND IT !

Well, I wondered what that saying "will miracles never cease" meant. Now I know.

Seriously though, LO, congrats on Good Luck (not)!

As to the battle of the sexes, that sounds like a good one for the picnic maybe. We have to exclude hang-gliding being a part of the cache stash though.

Mike...I left UOP after four years because they wanted to bring in a prof with a PhD (or work toward it) and that wasn't of interest to me. I started teaching at a business college...English, math and word processing. I got into computers quite a bit after leaving that job 4 years later. I opened a video store (lasted 6 years) and then back into teaching computer applications. If I'd had a computer in college in the 60's I would have been a better student.

Ron

We went to go get Dino's Yesterday, Since we were already wet,And I waded out until the water reached my neck.The water at the lake is so high right now that I wonder if the cache is under water. I will go back this weekend with a Boat and check it again.LO What time Friday are you going after Dragonfly? Just curious. M.Morris

Hey Mr. Morris

We try to head out early on Fridays to cache. Pat and I both have Fridays off work, but I have to be back to town to pick up my daughter by about 6. I am hoping to get out to Dragonfly by maybe 9-10 a.m. There is another area up there I want to hit for possibly placing a cache..have to check it out a bit more.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Hey Mr. Morris

We try to head out early on Fridays to cache. Pat and I both have Fridays off work, but I have to be back to town to pick up my daughter by about 6. I am hoping to get out to Dragonfly by maybe 9-10 a.m. There is another area up there I want to hit for possibly placing a cache..have to check it out a bit more.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Hey George

Whose team do you want to be on?? There is still room on mine! Ron is trying to hog everyone for his team..he is NOT playing fair!!!!!! icon_mad.gif

I think you will be kinda surprised when you find Good Luck; I thought for sure it was going to be somewhere else.

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

Hey George

Whose team do you want to be on?? There is still room on mine! Ron is trying to hog everyone for his team..he is NOT playing fair!!!!!! icon_mad.gif

I think you will be kinda surprised when you find Good Luck; I thought for sure it was going to be somewhere else.

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

Hey LO...

I posted a LONG note here about two sites that track all (world-wide) cacher rankings. Right after I posted it I got a message saying that because my post had some "trigger" words in it, it would be looked at by webmasters and if approved would be posted.

I will not risk trigger words in this post. I have the addresses of two sites...the one in a foreign land has a top placers and top finders area. The one here in the state is set up a little differently. This is the one Tomaski mentioned.

I can't say too much in detail here for fear it will trigger a device that won't let this post.

I can get the addresses to you (and others) by email.

Currently I am #4 in the world for placements and about #35 or so (on the other stat page) in a combination of placements and finds. There are around 18,000 cachers in the world.

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

I can get the addresses to you (and others) by email.

Currently I am #4 in the world for placements and about #35 or so (on the other stat page) in a combination of placements and finds. There are around 18,000 cachers in the world.

Ron

In california it has me at 25 with 95 finds and 22 hides. It's missing about 8 finds and 2 hides that would put me in 22nd place, not biggie, it just bugs me that it doesn't update my stats while tomaski's stats get updated as soon as he finds one. At one point I was ahead of him but it never showed it. Then again, I was only ahead of him for about 12 hours. But he has been doing it for 3 months longer than I have.

What's interesting, if not odd, is that the number one it the state has 315 finds and NO hides. I don't really understand that.

There is a group called CCCooperAgency that has over 500 finds, I think they're ranked number one in the nation. But if you look at their find logs you'll notice that the finds don't look legit. You'll have virtual cache finds, hundreds of miles away from each other, found on the same if not successive days.

I've also seen mention of one fellow who created his own caches, logged them himself 20 or so times, and then archived them so that no one would notice they were fake.

Stats and rankings should be taken with a grain of salt even though I enjoy checking mine every day. I'm mainly waiting for it to count my missing finds.

george

george

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

I've often wondered if the Cooper Agency isn't just that...an agency of a number of cachers. Like people who work for one company, but are spread all over the place...therefore they could have multiple finds on the same day (virtual or not) and be legit. On the other hand, if it's 50 people operating under one name, that's not quite right either.

I think the more regional kinds of stats have more value.

So much depends on:

1) how much free time you have

2) how dedicated you are to finding/placing

3) how many are available in your area

4) ???

5) ???

You'll notice the number 1 reason is...how much free time you have, followed by how obsessed you are.

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

Have any of you seen this?? It seems pretty fun. I am gonna try it as soon as I get it completely figured out.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=12627

I've logged two out of state caches this way. One was

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=16431

this one which actually required me finding a historical landmark.

And the other was

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=15791

They're quick and easy. I barely count them as real caches but I helped spread the love.

george

Hello all

Any of you around here interested in multiple-clue caches?? Meaning, you will have to visit several places and do some investigative work before discovering the location of the actual cache. I have a few things in mind, but they could prove to be rather time consuming..and I don't really want to do one if no one is going to go after it!

Have a good day!

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

Hello all

Any of you around here interested in multiple-clue caches?? Meaning, you will have to visit several places and do some investigative work before discovering the location of the actual cache. I have a few things in mind, but they could prove to be rather time consuming..and I don't really want to do one if no one is going to go after it!

Have a good day!

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

Hello all

Have a good day!

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

I've been planning one for a little while now. I just finished reading a book on the bandit Black Bart and I want to set up with a tie in to him. HIs first a last stage coach robery was up near Coperopolis so I'll probablly start it up there.

Black Bart spent a lot of time up and down the gold country and traveled many of the same areas we do.

Constant mentions of Stockton, Angel's Camp, Sonora, etc etc etc. He had the Wells Fargo company frustrated for 8 years and became an almost Robin Hood charcter back in those days. Great book.

The first cache will probablly be the actual site of his first robbery. The book shows a picture of the area and it's cacheable.

george

quote:

Hello all

Have a good day!

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

I've been planning one for a little while now. I just finished reading a book on the bandit Black Bart and I want to set up with a tie in to him. HIs first a last stage coach robery was up near Coperopolis so I'll probablly start it up there.

Black Bart spent a lot of time up and down the gold country and traveled many of the same areas we do.

Constant mentions of Stockton, Angel's Camp, Sonora, etc etc etc. He had the Wells Fargo company frustrated for 8 years and became an almost Robin Hood charcter back in those days. Great book.

The first cache will probablly be the actual site of his first robbery. The book shows a picture of the area and it's cacheable.

george

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

Hey George what was the name of the book? I enjoy western history. Black Bart was also known as the Gentelman Bandit. He would'nt rob women. Enough said. Thanks, M.Morris

I'll get you the title when I get back home but not only did he not rob women, he never robbed any passanger on the stage coaches. He just took the Wells Fargo box, and the mail. He also calims he never carried a loaded shotgun but it's know he never fired a shot.

What's cool is that his first and last robbery were the exact same spot, 8 years apart. Between robberies he lived in San Fransico as a respectable gentelman. He told people he had mine claims near Sonora so he would just disapear every so often to go check on his mines.

The book also goes into some of the history of the men who finally tracked him down and sent him off to jail.

george

....1:45 in Stockton, have to be in Lodi to tutor at 2:30, so will read posts about 3:30.

I logged 7 caches today and crossed the 200 mark.

End of the Trail

Michael Jr.

Good Luck (#200)

Fern Gully

Take Care of Your Mouth

Big Island

Citrus

Will start logging them about 3:30....gotta go

...and if you want some tips on getting the Big Island I'll be happy to give them. No giveaways on the cache (you don't need them) but I can help you get to it !

I had a fun day out there arriving about 9 at your End Of The Trail and working my way back to Stockton to all the others along the river. Very pleasant...early morning not too many mosquitos out. Sunny day. I'll be posting some nature pics in the log finds later today. Don't have the cable with me to download from camera to my computer and the net.

Now that #200 is down I can coast a while...but there's always some young bicylist trying to catch up ! They're going to have to pedal some, and I DID have a year of lead time.

Ron

....people who were interested in the sites for checking your "status" in the caching world can now look back to the April 9th post I put here.

It originally was flagged by the web adminstrators as having "trigger" words...they wanted to check it before publishing it. I haven't reread it, but I don't think they would edit someone else's work...not publish it yes, but not edit it !

Anyway, look at the two sites and have fun.

Ron

(keep in mind, the people who run these don't have their sites continually monitoring Jeremy's site, so your personal statistics will always be a bit off. At least it gives you a ballpark idea of where you stand in the WORLD of geocaching.

Hey George

I have some really interesting books on CA history, including some stuff on Murietta. I will see if I can find them before the get-together. According to a family member who does geneaology with me, we are supposed to be able to trace some lines to Mr. Murietta. I haven't branched that far out yet so I don't know if it's true or not.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Hey George

I have some really interesting books on CA history, including some stuff on Murietta. I will see if I can find them before the get-together. According to a family member who does geneaology with me, we are supposed to be able to trace some lines to Mr. Murietta. I haven't branched that far out yet so I don't know if it's true or not.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

quote:

Hey George

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Bring the books to the picnic. I'm most likely going to be near coperopollis this weekend helping with a bike race. If I go I'm going to plant a cache at the site of Black Barts first stage coach robery. I'll most likely make it at least a two stage cache with the first stage takeing everyone to the historical marker and the second stage taking them to the actual site.

That is assuming I can find the actual site of the stage coach robery. I just have the name of a hill and a black and white picture.

george

quote:

Hey George

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Bring the books to the picnic. I'm most likely going to be near coperopollis this weekend helping with a bike race. If I go I'm going to plant a cache at the site of Black Barts first stage coach robery. I'll most likely make it at least a two stage cache with the first stage takeing everyone to the historical marker and the second stage taking them to the actual site.

That is assuming I can find the actual site of the stage coach robery. I just have the name of a hill and a black and white picture.

george

7 caches it 2 hours. Just cleaned up the lower Stanislaus River area. Bring it on. Keep the mosquitoes though. They're everywhere now. A FTF to top it off with a redemption on Good Luck. I gave up using the clue and instead looking for it's complete opposite. Then for some reason it appeared. Go figure.

Finished it off with a out of state locationless cache to make it 8.

george