Stockton & Modesto California Geocaching...Part 2

Ron Streeter

....what is a NORMAL container?

I have sitting on my desk a container that holds 2 film cannisters. Is THAT a normal container. I don't think so.

If I were to use this container I would make some comment in the cache description about its physical dimensions or would say ..."it's big enough to hold two film cannisters." To see an example of this, look up the description of my PEANUTUS GIGANTICUS cache which I placed several months ago.

There has been SOME discussion of this in forums on geocaching.com even including the comment that a new category should be added. The reply I remember was ......keep it simple...and .... just add a note in the description. I certainly agree with the last part.

The reason I mention this is I feel that if the normal size is attached, it gives me an indication to look for something at least a quart or two quarts in size. That would prevent me from looking in smaller crevices, etc.

I know we all struggle to give good coordinates, good clues and this is one more element. We can misdirect people by doing poorly on any one of these things.

Finally, I KNOW I have probably violated all three of these areas in the past, but I hope to be as accurate as possible in the future and hope other cachers will let me know when I've led them astray.

Any thoughts?

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

Wow..quiet boards today, huh?? You can tell spring break is over and the teachers/students are back to work!

Is there a definition somewhere of a "normal" size for a cache? I know we try to put the size of the cache into our description area. The Giddyup cache is only about 2.5 x 2 inches..not really a microcache..but is that a normal size?

I too like it when people give a description of what kind of container the cache is in. For example, Retreevers said that Good Luck was in a pint-sized container, so that ruled out several places that I might have looked.

I have also noticed that some folks don't quite know what size containers they have used. I have found a couple caches that were MUCH smaller than what was actually listed. Not necessary to measure the container to the millimeter but a close estimate is nice! I mean, if the container is obviously a film canister size, don't post that it is a 1-cup container.

Glad to hear you had a successful day yesterday Ron. I think we will probably go try to find a few tomorrow afternoon since it is staying light so much later. I need to do some urban caches though to avoid the variety of bugs that are feasting on my body lately!

Have a good day!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Wow..quiet boards today, huh?? You can tell spring break is over and the teachers/students are back to work!

Is there a definition somewhere of a "normal" size for a cache? I know we try to put the size of the cache into our description area. The Giddyup cache is only about 2.5 x 2 inches..not really a microcache..but is that a normal size?

I too like it when people give a description of what kind of container the cache is in. For example, Retreevers said that Good Luck was in a pint-sized container, so that ruled out several places that I might have looked.

I have also noticed that some folks don't quite know what size containers they have used. I have found a couple caches that were MUCH smaller than what was actually listed. Not necessary to measure the container to the millimeter but a close estimate is nice! I mean, if the container is obviously a film canister size, don't post that it is a 1-cup container.

Glad to hear you had a successful day yesterday Ron. I think we will probably go try to find a few tomorrow afternoon since it is staying light so much later. I need to do some urban caches though to avoid the variety of bugs that are feasting on my body lately!

Have a good day!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

I sometimes note the size, sometimes don't. I don't always think about the size of the container until I'm hunting for it. I'll include it, but I might need a reminder now and then.

Speaking of containers... Fathur asked about these. http://www2.rangersurplus.com/long.asp?tgs=260378:32781037&cart_id=&item_id=1648

They're on sale at the moment so I'm probablly going to buy a few more.

george

How can bugs resist a sweet lil' person like me???

I tell ya, if there is a bug around, it will find me. Fleas, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers..you name it..they will bite me! While at La Grange the other evening, we were in a literal swarm of mosquitoes..I was bit up..and they totally ignored Pat. What does that tell you???

Jaimee

icon_biggrin.gif

How can bugs resist a sweet lil' person like me???

I tell ya, if there is a bug around, it will find me. Fleas, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers..you name it..they will bite me! While at La Grange the other evening, we were in a literal swarm of mosquitoes..I was bit up..and they totally ignored Pat. What does that tell you???

Jaimee

icon_biggrin.gif

Dont feel bad LO, Carolyn gets bit by every bug out there. We found Tomaski's caches' today along with GOOD LUCK. We are beat! The WAAS system is very hard to get, You have to be in the right place at the right time.Usually anything over a 30 on the Sat. Signal is WAAS trying to come in. We also hid 2 caches' today, Maybe they will post tomorrow. M.Morris

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

Dont feel bad LO, Carolyn gets bit by every bug out there. We found Tomaski's caches' today along with GOOD LUCK. We are beat! The WAAS system is very hard to get, You have to be in the right place at the right time.Usually anything over a 30 on the Sat. Signal is WAAS trying to come in. We also hid 2 caches' today, Maybe they will post tomorrow. M.Morris

I ran by Good Luck again today on the way to Kevin's two new ones. I should have waited a bit and got the two new ones on top of that but I didn't see them before I left.

I'm missing something on good luck. The gps took me pretty much to the same spot as Sunday and there again was no luck at finding it.

george

Hey all

Pat just bought me my own GPS unit today!! We had been sharing (I guess you could call it that) and it was quite hard to do because neither of us really likes to play follow the leader. It will be interesting now to cache together and see what differences we get in the readings.

Wow..more folks found Good Luck and said it was easy. I agree with George..we missed something. I think we might go back out to that area tomorrow since it is staying light so much later now. Hopefully we can "unbump" our heads and find it this time.

I am back in study mode now, so maybe my brain will work better. I think I was just soooo wore out last weekend after having to help Ron out last week!

I hope everyone has a great week!

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

Hey all

Pat just bought me my own GPS unit today!! We had been sharing (I guess you could call it that) and it was quite hard to do because neither of us really likes to play follow the leader. It will be interesting now to cache together and see what differences we get in the readings.

Wow..more folks found Good Luck and said it was easy. I agree with George..we missed something. I think we might go back out to that area tomorrow since it is staying light so much later now. Hopefully we can "unbump" our heads and find it this time.

I am back in study mode now, so maybe my brain will work better. I think I was just soooo wore out last weekend after having to help Ron out last week!

I hope everyone has a great week!

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

I think you guys will get it next time. Look at the clue real close. Then look around real carefully! from the looks of it you all were REAL close.

GOOD LUCK! M.Morris

I never actually read the clue. I was told what the clue said but I don't see how it can be misinterpreted. Unless I've become color blind in the last few and considering that mary is a geologist you think we could pick out the right rock.

george

quote:

I think you guys will get it next time. Look at the clue real close. Then look around real carefully! from the looks of it you all were REAL close.

GOOD LUCK! M.Morris

Also, next time someone is down there, mark a big 'x' on that rock for me. I'm sure I'll find it then.... wait let me clairify... mark the 'x' on TOP of the rock.

george

....I hope I have it !

Actually, though I would love to beat LO/F and George to this cache, my schedule the next few days probably won't allow it.

Getting the brakes on the Explorer looked at today and my teaching/tutoring schedule cuts out a morning/afternoon run for this and the new ones over the next few days.

But at least if I find it in the first shot, I will have beat those two by finding it in one outing !

I think Mike and Carolyn must be pretty good finders. They have found several that have stumped the rest of us on the first go around.

LO...helped Ron out? Give me a break! You're worn out from all those tick bites !

George...do you think a trip to your Del Puerto Creek cache for a check is warranted? Due to circumstances there I think that might be the case.

Happy caching all.....Ron

Okay...George has been there twice, we've been once, Ron hasn't been. I think we are going back out there today. I don't care if it takes me 25 trips, as long as I BEAT RON TO THE FIND!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I am of the impression now that the words "Good Luck" is somehow related to finding the cache. I rcvd an email from someone who said those words several times..and I noticed the Morris' also used the words several times. Could be totally off and just confusing myself worse also!

At least if we go out today, it will give me a chance to christen my new GPS unit! Hopefully today will be a better day than last weekend. I felt super lame after not being able to find those "easy" caches!

Funny how one person can walk right up to a cache and others just circle around like idiots and never find it, huh?? Not trying to offend anyone there..I am referring to myself as the idiot!

Have a good day!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Okay...George has been there twice, we've been once, Ron hasn't been. I think we are going back out there today. I don't care if it takes me 25 trips, as long as I BEAT RON TO THE FIND!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I am of the impression now that the words "Good Luck" is somehow related to finding the cache. I rcvd an email from someone who said those words several times..and I noticed the Morris' also used the words several times. Could be totally off and just confusing myself worse also!

At least if we go out today, it will give me a chance to christen my new GPS unit! Hopefully today will be a better day than last weekend. I felt super lame after not being able to find those "easy" caches!

Funny how one person can walk right up to a cache and others just circle around like idiots and never find it, huh?? Not trying to offend anyone there..I am referring to myself as the idiot!

Have a good day!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

Have a good day!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Thanks for clearing up that last part LO...as long as you are willing to take responsibility for your INABILITY, I have no problem with it !

Look at it this way...I was at Ripon Cache 3 times (I think), George was at Squirrels Stash 4 times (count 'em ... FOUR times) and here you guys are at a cache HIDDEN by someone who found Ripon the first time out ! There's a message here folks and it's....look out for Mike Morris !

quote:

Have a good day!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Thanks for clearing up that last part LO...as long as you are willing to take responsibility for your INABILITY, I have no problem with it !

Look at it this way...I was at Ripon Cache 3 times (I think), George was at Squirrels Stash 4 times (count 'em ... FOUR times) and here you guys are at a cache HIDDEN by someone who found Ripon the first time out ! There's a message here folks and it's....look out for Mike Morris !

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

To top it off, they found the Ripon cache at NIGHT.

george

I had to read the clue on GOOD LUCK.(I cheated)

The clue tells it like it is for this one.I have faith in you guys, You'll find it. We have such a blast doing this sport/game. We're getting healthy too. We were going to join a gym but insted bought a gps. My work schedule is pretty open, If anyone wants to go caching just let me know. M.Morris cell#209-484-3852

Hey George, you're right...they DID find it at night...hey...I FOUND SQUIRRELS STASH at NIGHT TOO !

Look out for ME and Morris !

On the other hand, George is getting so TICKED (kind of like LO) that he can't find them, that he is getting NASTY in the way he places them !

The game is heating up !

Mike...I might want to get together with you. My schedule has me teaching starting at 5 pm on Monday and Wednesday and I'm totally free on Fridays. Sometimes a tutoring session gets in the way on MW. T Th I start teaching at 2:45 so that pretty much rules out those days. You could show me how YOU find them so well !

Well, NOW I think I have a reason for getting a cell phone. This would give LO and George the chance to call me to beg a clue for those caches they can't find, and for ME to call George and say "You sorry sack of beans. Where is that cache?"

All in fun.....Ron

We read the clue on Good Luck..then read it again..and again..and again. I am telling ya, we were all over that area. With 6 of us looking, I am just baffled as to how we couldn't find the cache, especially since we zero'd out in pretty much the same area. I kinda thought we were pretty decent cachers, but now I am beginning to question that idea! icon_confused.gif

I forgot to mention something about that area. Be very careful walking near the down slopes. I just about tumbled down the hill. When looking at the ground, it seems to be pretty level and even, but there is one spot with a huge hole that could cause someone a bunch of hurt if they hit just right!

Back on the clue topic...we found one of what was described in the clue..and that was not the correct "one" obviously. I guess maybe we need to take a different approach when we head out there today.

Off to school I go..and then off to Good Luck I go!

Jaimee icon_razz.gif

We read the clue on Good Luck..then read it again..and again..and again. I am telling ya, we were all over that area. With 6 of us looking, I am just baffled as to how we couldn't find the cache, especially since we zero'd out in pretty much the same area. I kinda thought we were pretty decent cachers, but now I am beginning to question that idea! icon_confused.gif

I forgot to mention something about that area. Be very careful walking near the down slopes. I just about tumbled down the hill. When looking at the ground, it seems to be pretty level and even, but there is one spot with a huge hole that could cause someone a bunch of hurt if they hit just right!

Back on the clue topic...we found one of what was described in the clue..and that was not the correct "one" obviously. I guess maybe we need to take a different approach when we head out there today.

Off to school I go..and then off to Good Luck I go!

Jaimee icon_razz.gif

Yea Ron..get a cell phone. It would be much easier for George, Pat and I to help YOU if you had a phone to call us instead of having to wait to email us!

Mike...go caching with Ron. The look on his face is PRICELESS when you find a cache before him!!!!!!!! icon_eek.gif

I am really looking forward to the get-together. I have met several of the folks that will be there, but I think it will be fun to meet the rest of you! I will not be there right at the start because I have a math event to go to. Actually, that is probably for the best. If I arrive early and find something before Ron, the whole day will then be ugly.

Ron...you know I am not caching like crazy because I want to let you stay ahead, right???? hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee

See ya!

Jaimee icon_wink.gif

Yea Ron..get a cell phone. It would be much easier for George, Pat and I to help YOU if you had a phone to call us instead of having to wait to email us!

Mike...go caching with Ron. The look on his face is PRICELESS when you find a cache before him!!!!!!!! icon_eek.gif

I am really looking forward to the get-together. I have met several of the folks that will be there, but I think it will be fun to meet the rest of you! I will not be there right at the start because I have a math event to go to. Actually, that is probably for the best. If I arrive early and find something before Ron, the whole day will then be ugly.

Ron...you know I am not caching like crazy because I want to let you stay ahead, right???? hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee

See ya!

Jaimee icon_wink.gif

quote:

I kinda thought we were pretty decent cachers, but now I am beginning to question that idea! icon_confused.gif

aimee icon_razz.gif

There was never any question in my mind !

Ron (56 hidden/197 found)....you'll never catch up !

quote:

I kinda thought we were pretty decent cachers, but now I am beginning to question that idea! icon_confused.gif

aimee icon_razz.gif

There was never any question in my mind !

Ron (56 hidden/197 found)....you'll never catch up !

Hi all

We have a computer problem with the modum at home so I thought I'd take a look a school and see what was happening at the geocache site. I didn't know we were causing such a problem with "Good Luck". It was named as a play on words of the park name not because it was hard to find. I thought the clue was as straight foward as you could get but I guess it is one of those that is in the "eye of the beholder'. This is the end of the quarter for me so I am swamped with school stuff. I am looking forward to checking out all of the new caches.

quote:
Originally posted by retreevers 4:

This is the end of the quarter for me so I am swamped with school stuff. I am looking forward to checking out all of the new caches.

Exactly how many teachers do we have caching in the area. I'm intersting in knowing where and what subject you teach.

Mary and I both teach, I teach math and Patterson High School, Mary teaches Science at Gustine Middle School.

george

I am hoping to be a teacher in a couple of years here...but you already knew that, right George?

Pat and I both taught vocational ed in Sacramento...I taught medical assisting and hospital unit coordinating..he taught surgical technology. That is actually where we met (and then about 6 weeks later married!!).

The Retreevers actually were a pivotal part of my decision to teach. I had been having all of these really odd things happen that I felt were pointing me in the direction of pursuing a teaching career, and they came out to hunt for GiddyUp right in the middle of that. I was quite surprised to learn they were both science teachers as this just added to my list of strange happenings that I felt were leading me somewhere (they aren't strange..the happenings were).

Only about 15 more minutes till I get to go caching with my new GPS! I hope, hope, hope, hope we can have some GOOD LUCK today!

jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

I am hoping to be a teacher in a couple of years here...but you already knew that, right George?

Pat and I both taught vocational ed in Sacramento...I taught medical assisting and hospital unit coordinating..he taught surgical technology. That is actually where we met (and then about 6 weeks later married!!).

The Retreevers actually were a pivotal part of my decision to teach. I had been having all of these really odd things happen that I felt were pointing me in the direction of pursuing a teaching career, and they came out to hunt for GiddyUp right in the middle of that. I was quite surprised to learn they were both science teachers as this just added to my list of strange happenings that I felt were leading me somewhere (they aren't strange..the happenings were).

Only about 15 more minutes till I get to go caching with my new GPS! I hope, hope, hope, hope we can have some GOOD LUCK today!

jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

Alrighty then...so that's how you want it. I am feeling the need to start a battle of the sexes here, except I do believe that the better gender (I KNOW I don't need to elaborate on that) is far outnumbered in this area.

I am really going to have to prove myself worthy now, huh? I think I shall stop by a church on our way out to Good Luck and say a little prayer for guidance icon_smile.gif

Ron..you better be nice to me. If you aren't, I will send the bug brigade YOUR way!

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

Alrighty then...so that's how you want it. I am feeling the need to start a battle of the sexes here, except I do believe that the better gender (I KNOW I don't need to elaborate on that) is far outnumbered in this area.

I am really going to have to prove myself worthy now, huh? I think I shall stop by a church on our way out to Good Luck and say a little prayer for guidance icon_smile.gif

Ron..you better be nice to me. If you aren't, I will send the bug brigade YOUR way!

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

...and a few students.

Hi Mike...

The others know I'm a teacher (semi-retired) but I think this is news to you.

I started out teaching broadcasting and jounalism in the 70's but switched to computers in the early 80s and after retiring (for 6 months) am back at some part-time teaching.

The people on this forum are teachers (and will-be teachers), but some of the folks who are area cachers but not on the forum as much are welders, EMT's and cabinet makers, to name a few of the occupations.

Ron

....Mike,you might want to touch base with HiFlier (ed). Look up some of his caches and then email him. He is HEAVILY into flying. Look up his MiG Alley cache and you will see what I mean. He flew jets in Vietnam.

Also, AAFlyer (Hans) is a pilot of American Airlines.

You flyboys should get together!

Ron

quote:

....you will need more than luck to find Good Luck. You will need skill, daring, smarts, a good gps AND luck.

As far as you gettin MMorris on your team, forget it! It's us against YOU !

Ron

hey ron i beat tickba... i mean luvoz and fattuhr

by about 5 mins. to the new morris caches. how bout i get in on this alliance icon_wink.gif

another thing #5 in the state not too bad. i'm gaining on ya, but i fear it would take forever to catch ya. with todays finds i took the twenty spot.

kevin

quote:

....you will need more than luck to find Good Luck. You will need skill, daring, smarts, a good gps AND luck.

As far as you gettin MMorris on your team, forget it! It's us against YOU !

Ron

hey ron i beat tickba... i mean luvoz and fattuhr

by about 5 mins. to the new morris caches. how bout i get in on this alliance icon_wink.gif

another thing #5 in the state not too bad. i'm gaining on ya, but i fear it would take forever to catch ya. with todays finds i took the twenty spot.

kevin