Stockton & Modesto California Geocaching...Part 2

Ron Streeter

Hello all

My friend and I ventured out to find the La Grange cache today. We were wandering around...everything was cool..and then I thought I saw some poison oak. Now, neither of us really knows what it looks like, so we really don't know whether or not what we saw was it. I read in the log book that Retreevers found it up there, and I just saw that someone else actually got it from that area. It has been about 1.5 hours since we were there, and neither of us has any itch yet..but I also see that it can take some time for a reaction to occur.

I looked at the pictures of poison oak that Ron posted, and that is definitely not what I saw (and walked through), but when I looked at some pics on other web sites, I do see a similarity. There was even some of what I am concerned about inches from the cache.

Can anyone help me to try to figure out if this was really poison oak or not? It had three leaves, but so did lots of other bushes up there. I was down in a ditch, and it was up on either side of me, growing quite tall actually. I didn't see any real clumps of it...seemed more to be scattered around.

We used some wet wipes as soon as we got out of there. The only exposure I would have would be to by arms, but my friend was wearing shorts and walked right through the area.

HELP!!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Hello all

My friend and I ventured out to find the La Grange cache today. We were wandering around...everything was cool..and then I thought I saw some poison oak. Now, neither of us really knows what it looks like, so we really don't know whether or not what we saw was it. I read in the log book that Retreevers found it up there, and I just saw that someone else actually got it from that area. It has been about 1.5 hours since we were there, and neither of us has any itch yet..but I also see that it can take some time for a reaction to occur.

I looked at the pictures of poison oak that Ron posted, and that is definitely not what I saw (and walked through), but when I looked at some pics on other web sites, I do see a similarity. There was even some of what I am concerned about inches from the cache.

Can anyone help me to try to figure out if this was really poison oak or not? It had three leaves, but so did lots of other bushes up there. I was down in a ditch, and it was up on either side of me, growing quite tall actually. I didn't see any real clumps of it...seemed more to be scattered around.

We used some wet wipes as soon as we got out of there. The only exposure I would have would be to by arms, but my friend was wearing shorts and walked right through the area.

HELP!!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Hi Jaimee...

Other than the 3 leaves being an identifier, the leaves have a smooth surface and the "lobes" are quite rounded. The surface isn't oily, but shiny. If something with three leafs has a rough surface or serrated edges, it's not poison oak.

The three-leafed plants at the Ripon cache (site) weren't poison oak...at least not where I was looking. There is a ton of poison oak at Last Rapids if you want to get a good view of some...not 10 feet from the cache itself.

Because the colors change from green to red (I think depending on soil and light conditions) it's hard to use that as an identifier alone.

It can also be a bush or a vine. Once you've seen it you'll know it from then on. And my "s.o." is very susceptible to this stuff so I know about its effects too...not pretty. I seem to be immune..or lucky. Right now i think I have a spot about 1/4 inch by 1/2 inch, but it might be something else.

I just use a Cortaid type product on any skin irritations I get.

You probably are all right...in a wild area like La Grange there would be concentrations that would be noticeable....that you could avoid. I was there and don't remember seeing any, but I could be wrong.

Stay safe.....

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

Hi,

Poison Oak is such an interesting plant. I have a friend whom reacts just thinking about it and another that can pick the stuff and never get it. Your best bet for avoidance is to shower once you get home from hiking in an area that has poison oak and wash the clothes that you were wearing. Most of the time that is enough to keep you from the itch unless you are highly allergic.

Sherrie

Thanks for the poison oak info. I am still hoping like mad that I don't develop a rash later, but if that is all that happens, I guess it will be manageable. I have just heard horror stories about people having very bad reactions within just a few minutes of exposure, and I was quite worried.

I showered as soon as I got home and threw my clothes into the laundry.

Ron...this plant that I was looking at was a very deep green and not shiny in appearance. It looked nothing like the pictures you have posted from the Last Rapid cache. The leaves were more round and had almost a scalloped look to the edges.

Man, I sure wish I would have paid more attention in Girl Scouts!!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the poison oak info. I am still hoping like mad that I don't develop a rash later, but if that is all that happens, I guess it will be manageable. I have just heard horror stories about people having very bad reactions within just a few minutes of exposure, and I was quite worried.

Ron...this plant that I was looking at was a very deep green and not shiny in appearance. It looked nothing like the pictures you have posted from the Last Rapid cache. The leaves were more round and had almost a scalloped look to the edges.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

hey everybody,

when i'm mtnbiking i carry

"oak-n-ivy" brand tecnu skin cleanser. its supposed to remove the oils that cause the rashes.

i've never had it so i don't know if this stuff works or if i just don't get it, but its cheap and it just might help.

hope this helps,

tomaski

quote:

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

hey everybody,

when i'm mtnbiking i carry

"oak-n-ivy" brand tecnu skin cleanser. its supposed to remove the oils that cause the rashes.

i've never had it so i don't know if this stuff works or if i just don't get it, but its cheap and it just might help.

hope this helps,

tomaski

Hello all

Well, I have obsessed the day away about the dang poison oak encounter. When Pat got home, I made him drive back out to La Grange with me to check it out. He is not really a poison oak expert, but I wanted someone else's opinion on it. It was not a fun place to be as the sun was going down..LOTS of mosquitos floating around out there. I showed him where I thought the poison oak was, and he didn't think that was it.

To those of you who have been to this cache, here is a question. If you are standing directly in front of the cache, facing it, there are a bunch of bushes directly to your right and also to the immediate left of the cache. Those are the plants that I thought were poison oak. Anyone recall seeing it that close to the cache??

Okay..maybe I am done obsessing for the time being. I figure now that there is nothing more I can do..if I get it, I get it!

Jaimee icon_rolleyes.gif

Hello all

Well, I have obsessed the day away about the dang poison oak encounter. When Pat got home, I made him drive back out to La Grange with me to check it out. He is not really a poison oak expert, but I wanted someone else's opinion on it. It was not a fun place to be as the sun was going down..LOTS of mosquitos floating around out there. I showed him where I thought the poison oak was, and he didn't think that was it.

To those of you who have been to this cache, here is a question. If you are standing directly in front of the cache, facing it, there are a bunch of bushes directly to your right and also to the immediate left of the cache. Those are the plants that I thought were poison oak. Anyone recall seeing it that close to the cache??

Okay..maybe I am done obsessing for the time being. I figure now that there is nothing more I can do..if I get it, I get it!

Jaimee icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:

Hello all

Any date set for the Modesto get-together? Hadn't seen anything new posted so I thought I would ask.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

I'm kind of zeroing in on Knights Ferry due to the fact that I just spotted the group tables with a nice roof for shade. I drove by Saturday (after I hurt my back) and saw the sign that said it was reservable. I need to call and see which dates are open I don't want to pick a date and then find that I can't reserve the nice shadey tables.

Also, there was a week that you two were going to be gone wasn't there? around the 28th?

I'm shooting for April 20th.

george

quote:

Hello all

Any date set for the Modesto get-together? Hadn't seen anything new posted so I thought I would ask.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

I'm kind of zeroing in on Knights Ferry due to the fact that I just spotted the group tables with a nice roof for shade. I drove by Saturday (after I hurt my back) and saw the sign that said it was reservable. I need to call and see which dates are open I don't want to pick a date and then find that I can't reserve the nice shadey tables.

Also, there was a week that you two were going to be gone wasn't there? around the 28th?

I'm shooting for April 20th.

george

Hi George

Yes, Pat and I will be out of town the weekend of the 28th. We are going down to Disneyland..hope to do some caching down there also! I guess there are a few virtual caches in both Disneyland and California Adventure. My mom will also be with us, so I am hoping she can get in on the fun as well.

The weekend of the 20th would be cool with us. We have a couple of BBQs and a big smoker we can use if needed. Just let us know!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Hi George

Yes, Pat and I will be out of town the weekend of the 28th. We are going down to Disneyland..hope to do some caching down there also! I guess there are a few virtual caches in both Disneyland and California Adventure. My mom will also be with us, so I am hoping she can get in on the fun as well.

The weekend of the 20th would be cool with us. We have a couple of BBQs and a big smoker we can use if needed. Just let us know!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=18609

more importantly than the cache, check out who placed it? Look at Ranger Dan's profile.

Some news on the geoevent.

I called the park and the 20th is open. The only thing I wasn't expecting was the $50 fee. I'm passing that hat to see if any modesto cachers would like to help out with the fee (I hope that's not too imposing) tomaski said he'd pitch in $10, I'll cover what ever is left. (email me privately if you want to pitch in) I'm calling tomorrow to reserve the place.

I'm going up tomorrow to take a stab at that cache and get the coordinates for the tables so I can post the event.

george

email: gcrawfor@altair.csustan.edu

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

I noticed a few cachers have trade marks that they leave with the caches. Is that something that everyone does? Just curious. Mike Morris

I tend to leave a lot of homies. They're cheap and I collect them anyway. All my doubles and extra homies get put in a container that I take with me. I also have a 'calling card' that I made up but I often forget to bring it with me. You may find a cache with business card from 'george and mary'

george

I went down to Knights Ferry today to check out the group picknick area and I found an even better one near the river and practically in the shadow of the bridge. And better yet, it was only $35. So for those of you that pitched in just cut your offer in half and we have it. I've called to reserve it and I'll be posting the event cache soon.

It's a nice big area underneath a group of sycamore trees with 4-5 tables and a double wide grill already there.

george

george

Hey all

To those of you whom have not had the pleasure of caching with Ron, do it!! We hit several caches and had success on all but one. Worked out well because I found the first and he found the second. The others were ones that he had found already (and Verde Mucho, which is mine), and one was unsuccessful.

Thanks for the fun day Ron. I hope your pride will recover soon over being beaten by a WOMAN on finding the first cache today!! icon_biggrin.gif But, you are still the man!!

Now we are heading back out to Ripon. My husband wants to try to find the Ripon caches now. I get to watch him like Ron watched me!! FUN!!!!

See ya!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Hey all

To those of you whom have not had the pleasure of caching with Ron, do it!! We hit several caches and had success on all but one. Worked out well because I found the first and he found the second. The others were ones that he had found already (and Verde Mucho, which is mine), and one was unsuccessful.

Thanks for the fun day Ron. I hope your pride will recover soon over being beaten by a WOMAN on finding the first cache today!! icon_biggrin.gif But, you are still the man!!

Now we are heading back out to Ripon. My husband wants to try to find the Ripon caches now. I get to watch him like Ron watched me!! FUN!!!!

See ya!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=18687

there it is. I'm going to have to get there early in the morning to set up for the three card poker, if anyone wants to help just give a holler. I'm going to buy some good size washers and paint them gold to use as the game markers, my plan was to hide some close and some further in. If you help hide then of course you can't play that one game.

Ron, what are the other games that you mentioned.

george

Georgie...you laid out that bad boy to grab old Downhiller for his What Lies Beneath....admit it (4 Jeff).

Anyway, it's as clear as day if you have good (excellent) vision. I was glad to find it though and of course to beat out the Ozzy fan.

Games at picnic....

You and I should get together maybe before the event to coordinate a bit....your washers idea sounds good.

At the events I've been too, I've been a little disenchanted with the cache seeking...seemed a little to "pressured" for me...zooming from one cache to another, bumping into people, etc. Don't know exactly how to get around that.

Anyway, it's coming up fast, so lets get together during your time off.

Ron

ADDENDUM...George I forgot to tell you that LuvOzzy and I couldn't find Ripon Cache after about 30 minutes...that's 1 hour between two people. She and Pat went out again this afternoon so maybe they got it.

[This message was edited by Ron Streeter on April 03, 2002 at 07:29 PM.]

Hey George

We missed "Ripon cache." I just got home from finding it though! Pat and I went back out there. I had a very tiny hint from someone as to where the cache might be. I apparently didn't interpret the clue properly because it was not where it should have been according to the info I was given (not bad info, just bad interpretation on my part!).

Ron...dude...you were ALL OVER IT!! I tell ya, you must have stepped on the cache 10 times at least. My suggestion when you go back out there is to really, really, really move things around!!

Anyone watch The Amazing Race? It reminds me of caching a bit..fun show!! Gotta go clean up and then prepare to watch it!

Have a good nite!

jaimee icon_smile.gif

Hey George

We missed "Ripon cache." I just got home from finding it though! Pat and I went back out there. I had a very tiny hint from someone as to where the cache might be. I apparently didn't interpret the clue properly because it was not where it should have been according to the info I was given (not bad info, just bad interpretation on my part!).

Ron...dude...you were ALL OVER IT!! I tell ya, you must have stepped on the cache 10 times at least. My suggestion when you go back out there is to really, really, really move things around!!

Anyone watch The Amazing Race? It reminds me of caching a bit..fun show!! Gotta go clean up and then prepare to watch it!

Have a good nite!

jaimee icon_smile.gif

One more thing George. I personally don't care much for rocks under bridges! icon_mad.gif

I don't think much of this cache was exposed at all. Ron found it first..and when I found it, it was only because of the position I happened to be in at the time. Hmmm..that sounds kinda funky, huh??? Anyway, not much of the cache was visible.

I did pick up that rock hide-a-key today. I am thinking of maybe dedicating a cache to the rock brothers (George, Ron and Jeff). Be prepared!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

One more thing George. I personally don't care much for rocks under bridges! icon_mad.gif

I don't think much of this cache was exposed at all. Ron found it first..and when I found it, it was only because of the position I happened to be in at the time. Hmmm..that sounds kinda funky, huh??? Anyway, not much of the cache was visible.

I did pick up that rock hide-a-key today. I am thinking of maybe dedicating a cache to the rock brothers (George, Ron and Jeff). Be prepared!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

....just because I found the Clear As Day cache before you did, don't get all uppity!

Also, LO (and others) see if you can find something different in this message from me to all of you.

Be a 5-star cache hunter...look carefully. Who will be the first one to post here that they found something different? What is it?

Posting this 15 minutes before Amazing Race (which I'm hoping will videotape at home !)

Ready....go !

Ron

quote:

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Why do you think that cache is called 4 jeff. I absolutely hated looking for 'what lies ....'. I wanted jeff to get a taste of his medicine, but not as bad.

It sounds like Ripon cache should be a "bring a shovel" cache. I'm not one to dig for a cache. If it says 'covered' then I'll poke around but I don't like tearing up a place to look for a cache. I just don't think it's good for our reputation.

Change of subject!!!

I noticed no one has found Dragonfly since mary and I did a long time ago. Let me say, I put it back right where I found it. It took me about 10 minutes to find. So there!

Let me finish this off by saying not ALL rock caches are bad. It just depends on how it's done.

quote:

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Why do you think that cache is called 4 jeff. I absolutely hated looking for 'what lies ....'. I wanted jeff to get a taste of his medicine, but not as bad.

It sounds like Ripon cache should be a "bring a shovel" cache. I'm not one to dig for a cache. If it says 'covered' then I'll poke around but I don't like tearing up a place to look for a cache. I just don't think it's good for our reputation.

Change of subject!!!

I noticed no one has found Dragonfly since mary and I did a long time ago. Let me say, I put it back right where I found it. It took me about 10 minutes to find. So there!

Let me finish this off by saying not ALL rock caches are bad. It just depends on how it's done.

I thought about the whole thing where people would be looking for the same cache/marker during the event and I think I may know a way to releave some of the crowding.

For the 3 card poker. The game, when I read about it, said place 5 markers, but I think that would be too few with too many going for the same ones.

Instead I thought I'd place more like 10-12 so cachers could take there pick... some closer, some farther. The closer the marker the better it would be hidden. The farther the marker the easier it would be to spot. So cachers would have to decide for a short walk, long search or long walk quick search. Are you better at walking or searching.

You would only ever need to find 5 at the most so this would reduce (hopefully) the chance of going for the same cache.

Also, since I have to set this up, and hopefully someone will help me, who ever helps can still play, they just can't look for their own markers.

Hey Ron,

I'm off until Monday, tomorrow I'm planning on going to Sacrameto with the family to look for caches but I'm free to get with you on Friday.

george

OHHHH..not the "D" word again!! I tried to get Ron to go look for that one with me today, but he wouldn't! icon_razz.gif

I have been there twice now with no luck. I think everything starts looking the same to me after a bit. No doubt I have looked right at the cache more than once and not recognized it as something different!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

OHHHH..not the "D" word again!! I tried to get Ron to go look for that one with me today, but he wouldn't! icon_razz.gif

I have been there twice now with no luck. I think everything starts looking the same to me after a bit. No doubt I have looked right at the cache more than once and not recognized it as something different!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Has anyone ever done any GeoDashing?? I was looking at the website and found it quite interesting. I know that Just A Short Walk and Iron Chef play, but I wasn't sure if anyone else from around here participates. I guess you can do it individually or in teams.

Sounded kinda fun to me but wanted to see if any had actual experience with it.

Off to bed for me. I did lots of walking today and I am tired!!!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Has anyone ever done any GeoDashing?? I was looking at the website and found it quite interesting. I know that Just A Short Walk and Iron Chef play, but I wasn't sure if anyone else from around here participates. I guess you can do it individually or in teams.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

quote:

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

There is another game you might want to check out called www.minutewar.com.

I know about geodashing but I just haven't taken the time to add it to my list of 'hobbies'.

george

quote:

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

There is another game you might want to check out called www.minutewar.com.

I know about geodashing but I just haven't taken the time to add it to my list of 'hobbies'.

george

Got home about 9:30 Thursday night and didn't log on, so some catching up to do on forum news.

Pat....

Thanks for pushing the record button on Amazing Race. My VCR did time it properly and I got a copy...thanks for your effort though. Hiding a video in a cache is an interesting idea, and I have one that cachers would enjoy watching.

LuvOzzy.....

The Dragonfly will haunt you 'till the day you "cache" in your chips.

George.....

Friday sounds good EXCEPT I have to hear today from a teacher I am tutoring....she may want to get together Friday at 2:30. Of course, we could get together in the A.M. I'll touch base with you here later today.

The idea of having 10 to 12 locations is good. That's the way it worked in the events I have been to. We still bumped into each other, but it was OK most of the time. Sometimes you could SEE where people found a cache as you were still some distance away, but that might be unavoidable and not a real problem anyway...the socializing part of it is after all what we're looking for too.

The idea that the further away ones would be easier is a good one. Closer ones to be harder.

I'll help place them with you. It almost has to be done the day before so that coordinates can be printed out for people to pursue, but I have a laptop, and with my 110 volt dc/ac converter and a printer, we COULD print them the morning of the event after placing them that morning. Don't know if that would be too much for one day or not.

OK all, caching continues to hold our interest...let's get out there !

Ron