Stockton & Modesto California Geocaching...Part 2

Ron Streeter

Well George, so far you and I have pretty much our own private messaging system here with an occasional input from the rest of the Modesto crowd...still, a good way to share thoughts.

I hit a few in Modesto on Friday the 8th and still have some cleanup work to do down your way. I also want to put out some more caches in the next couple of weeks.

By the way George, Tomaski has his eye on my Pythagorus cache...make haste !

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

Ron

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

Yeah, but he's a welder, he'll never figure it out. I'll probablly go up there sunday to check it out. Mary and I headed south to hit some caches since my son was doing a math team thing in Dos Palos. Really interesting area. Check out http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=7079 I found this one but ran out of time and couldn't go for the others. There is a FTF that Iron Chef put up that has some REALLY interesting items.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=15216

lot's of dirt road traveling in this area.

george

george

quote:

I hit a few in Modesto on Friday the 8th and still have some cleanup work to do down your way. I also want to put out some more caches in the next couple of weeks.

Also, I noticed that we had trampled Girls Rule, especially the area around the cache so we tried to trample other areas where the cache could be hidden as not to give a too obvious clue. But it was partly trampled when we got there as well. Tall grass makes quick trails. We found RECYCLE 1 today and it had been 2 weeks since anyone had been there and you could still see a partial trail leading to the area.

george

George...

In regard to one of the Iron Chef caches you directed us to....Thanks for the tip, but I just received a shipment of a dozen Kangaroo scrotums (or is that scroti) last week from Major Surplus in Australia.

Happy caching....

Ron

Not a lot of area cachers are using ammo cans but I really like them. So far I've found the best prices on them are at the Turlock Army Surplus sotre on Lander.

About 4.50 for the 30 cal

and 5.50 for the 50 cal

Cresent Supply had 30 cals for 6.50 and they're were not nearly as nice and clean as the Turlock supply.

george

btw...

i'm looking at ammo cans because I feel an underwater cache coming... did I say too much?

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

quote:

Ron

"Yeah, but he's a welder, he'll never figure it" out. I'll probablly go up there sunday to check it out. Mary and I headed south to hit some caches since my son was doing a math team thing in Dos Palos. Really interesting area. Check out http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=7079 I found this one but ran out of time and couldn't go for the others. There is a FTF that Iron Chef put up that has some REALLY interesting items.

george

george

hey george didn't you know that a PIPEFITTER/WELDER is required to know a good deal of math, not only that we bring the proper tools.

tomaski

quote:
Originally posted by ivan tomaski:

quote:

quote:

Ron

"Yeah, but he's a welder, he'll never figure it" out. I'll probablly go up there sunday to check it out. Mary and I headed south to hit some caches since my son was doing a math team thing in Dos Palos. Really interesting area. Check out http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=7079 I found this one but ran out of time and couldn't go for the others. There is a FTF that Iron Chef put up that has some REALLY interesting items.

george

george

hey george didn't you know that a PIPEFITTER/WELDER is required to know a good deal of math, not only that we bring the proper tools.

tomaski

I made the mistake of thinking that everything was a clue. Including, the main photo on the page, thus I had to make sense of the other surounding area clues, and the OTHER PINK and BLUE things near the main coordinates. My wife would still be there looking if I had not told her that we need to step back and rethink this and come back later.

BTW.. I'm posting a 5 cache today... watch for it in a park near you.

george

quote:

I've temporarily disabled 21st Symphony until I can get out there to check on the cache. It has been reported missing and I may need to replace it.

Also, Kevin, why did you disable Boys Stuff?

george

when i looked at the map on the cache page it showed it on the wrong side of the river. i'll go back on wed. and recheck my coords.

kevin icon_confused.gif

quote:

I've temporarily disabled 21st Symphony until I can get out there to check on the cache. It has been reported missing and I may need to replace it.

george

when i looked at the map on the cache page it showed it on the wrong side of the river. i'll go back on wed. and recheck my coords.

kevin icon_confused.gif

quote:

quote:

george

kevin icon_confused.gif

The maps are not that accurate. I get stuff on the wrong side of rivers and canals ALL the time.

When I first punched in Girls, it showed on the wrong side of the river.

george

quote:

quote:

george

kevin icon_confused.gif

The maps are not that accurate. I get stuff on the wrong side of rivers and canals ALL the time.

When I first punched in Girls, it showed on the wrong side of the river.

george

Tomaski...

Now that you have explained your problem a bit better on Boys Stuff, I think I have an answer for you.

I had the same problem when looking for the three caches at the Modesto airport. Two of them show up on the other side of the river.

My guesss...your coordinates are all right. These mapping problems happen once in a while. Makes it hard for us because we might drive to the wrong side.

I have run into this several times....map program problem...not ours.

Ron

(did a bunch of caches in Mo town today...getting ready to log them....)

quote:

Kevin,

At least one of the maps shows our "Girls Forever" cache on the wrong side of the river as well, so the problem is probably not with your coordinates. I went back and double-checked our coordinates after placing the cache. This problem is not unique to just these two caches. My understanding is that coordinates will differ by substantial amounts depending on what system is used. As they say in advertising, "Actual results may vary."

Harold

OK guys....I can't get caught up on Modesto caches. Everytime I come down there and grab 5 or 6 you place some more !

Today I did:

Don't Panic

Stanislaus Tupperware

Glory Hole

Underdog

Timbrrrr

Quack, Quack

I also took a brief run at Wedding Picture but have emailed George either begging a clue or suggesting he take a look at the site (or both).

The "new" park where Timbrrr started a run of caches is a nice one. Took me a while to get my Mag 315, Topo (delorme) and laptop to cooperate and get me to the correct side of the river and the correct side of the airport.

This was a prime example of an electronic map not being accurate (river route) to what the coordinates are.

I'm taking a break for a few days...working around the house will be a pleasure after a few days of crashing through brush !

Ron

quote:

george

George why did you disable Wedding Picture Day?

Hi George....

I am going to the Guerneville (sp) area, but am just going to relax and see the sights...no geocaching. This will keep me in good stead with significant other !

Today (Friday the 15th) I went to Black Diamond for a couple of caches and have this question to raise to the Modesto biking enthusiasts.

I was going uphill, against the wind and had my head down looking only 3 feet or so ahead. I had been hiking for about 4 hours and had not seen a single person.

Then I heard a loud ....HEY !...I looked up and shouted the same thing back. It was a biker going downhill. His next comment was "Watch where you're going mister !"

I was not a happy camper ! I was about 2 feet to the right of center on a 12 foot wide fire road. What is the ettiquette for hikers vs. bikers?

Maybe he was as surprised to see me as I was him, but I thought he was very rude. Comments?

Ron

quote:

Hi George....

I was not a happy camper ! I was about 2 feet to the right of center on a 12 foot wide fire road. What is the ettiquette for hikers vs. bikers?

Maybe he was as surprised to see me as I was him, but I thought he was very rude. Comments?

Ron

It's a problem. Especially in highly poplulated areas. Ettiguette says bikes give right of way to hikers and horses, and there's also ettiquiette that says you give right of way to the person going uphill. There's no way to police it. I tend to ride in places where hikers are few just for this very reason.

The proper thing to do is to slow down when you see others on the trial/road is to slow down to a safe speed and pass carefully. Does it always happen? With the guys I ride with, most of the time and if we buzz someone we stop and appoligize.

george

P.S... I'm hunting scrotum tomorrow.

icon_eek.gif

quote:

Hi George....

Ron

It's a problem. Especially in highly poplulated areas. Ettiguette says bikes give right of way to hikers and horses, and there's also ettiquiette that says you give right of way to the person going uphill. There's no way to police it. I tend to ride in places where hikers are few just for this very reason.

The proper thing to do is to slow down when you see others on the trial/road is to slow down to a safe speed and pass carefully. Does it always happen? With the guys I ride with, most of the time and if we buzz someone we stop and appoligize.

george

P.S... I'm hunting scrotum tomorrow.

icon_eek.gif

quote:

Thanks George...

For the input on bikers/hikers. There are bad eggs in every group.

Good thing I know what you meant by your "hunt" comment...otherwise I'd be worried !

Ron

some of these slobbering freaks think they own the trails and give a bad rap to the rest of us. if i ever cross your path on my bike i'll try to stop twice to make up for other peoples rudeness

kevin icon_wink.gif

quote:

Thanks George...

For the input on bikers/hikers. There are bad eggs in every group.

Good thing I know what you meant by your "hunt" comment...otherwise I'd be worried !

Ron

some of these slobbering freaks think they own the trails and give a bad rap to the rest of us. if i ever cross your path on my bike i'll try to stop twice to make up for other peoples rudeness

kevin icon_wink.gif

Hello, everyone this is Richard of the Geocrickets. I have been checking out the caches in

the Modesto area. I would like to try to get them all. However I just went in to have my

knee scoped and they saw that my ACL needs to be reconstructed. So right now I will need

to stick to the 1 to 1.5 in terrain caches only.

How many people will be going to the Saco. Get-together put on by Rocklin-Doc? Dawn

and I will be there.

DAwn and I also just hit our 50th cache the other day. It was "In The Pocket" nice cache

along the bike trail..

That is about it for now.

Richard of the GeoCricket

quote:
Originally posted by GeoCrickets:

Hello, everyone this is Richard of the Geocrickets. I have been checking out the caches in

the Modesto area. I would like to try to get them all. However I just went in to have my

knee scoped and they saw that my ACL needs to be reconstructed. So right now I will need

to stick to the 1 to 1.5 in terrain caches only.

How many people will be going to the Saco. Get-together put on by Rocklin-Doc? Dawn

and I will be there.

Richard of the GeoCricket

Well come on down!!!

Concerning the event? When and where. Can you slip me the link.

george

Friday night I was double checking some waypoints and caches for Saturday afternoon and I noticed Giddy Up was just approved. I live it Patterson, the cache is near Keys, 12 miles away, near a road, it's 9:30 at night, I have a headlamp, so what happened?

That's right, I went for it. Threw all my stuff in the car hit "go to" on the gps and drove off. I get there and start searching and couldn't find it so I went for the clue. Doh! Left the print out at home so I called mary.

"Mary, read me the desrcription and the clue."

Mary, "I can't believe you're out there."

"Just read the clue. Tomaski will hit this one on Saturday and we'll be in a different area. I can't let him get this one."

She read the clue... didn't help. I crawled around a bit more. Looked at the horses a bit. Crawled some more. Increased my search area. Gave up and left.

Am I crazy?

george

quote:

George....

Here's the link for the Sacto get-together. It is a restaurant dinner....not an outdoor gathering/cache hunt.

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000938983&m=6000956493

Ron

I'll be in Monterey for the Sea Otter Classic. My annual pilgrimage to THE bike event of the year. I'll be doing some caching in the area. Have you ever seen how many caches are in downtoan Monterey??? Tons!

george

Hello all

We are going to be driving to Missouri in early June, and we plan on trying to do some caching along the way. We will be driving through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma and Missouri..might go another route on the way home.

Pat wanted to place a Travel Bug in a cache in Missouri and see if it could possibly find its way back to us here in this area.

Anyone have any suggestions for us?? Anyone done anything like this before?

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Hello all

We are going to be driving to Missouri in early June, and we plan on trying to do some caching along the way. We will be driving through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma and Missouri..might go another route on the way home.

Pat wanted to place a Travel Bug in a cache in Missouri and see if it could possibly find its way back to us here in this area.

Anyone have any suggestions for us?? Anyone done anything like this before?

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

quote:

Friday night I was double checking some waypoints and caches for Saturday afternoon and I noticed Giddy Up was just approved. I live it Patterson, the cache is near Keys, 12 miles away, near a road, it's 9:30 at night, I have a headlamp, so what happened?

That's right, I went for it. Threw all my stuff in the car hit "go to" on the gps and drove off. I get there and start searching and couldn't find it so I went for the clue. Doh! Left the print out at home so I called mary.

"Just read the clue. Tomaski will hit this one on Saturday and we'll be in a different area. I can't let him get this one."

She read the clue... didn't help. I crawled around a bit more. Looked at the horses a bit. Crawled some more. Increased my search area. Gave up and left.

Am I crazy?

george

i've been cachin for 87 days in that time i have been out in the rain several times, lightning, two or three nite runs, and almost got lost in the woods in the dark( your not supposed to be able to get lost with a gps, it just takes talent). i just logged my 100th find and have 10 caches placed. my wife doesn't think i'm nuts she's positive icon_wink.gif and as long as i've got AA batteries i'm gonna stay crazy

ivan tomaski

quote:

Am I crazy?

george

i've been cachin for 87 days in that time i have been out in the rain several times, lightning, two or three nite runs, and almost got lost in the woods in the dark( your not supposed to be able to get lost with a gps, it just takes talent). i just logged my 100th find and have 10 caches placed. my wife doesn't think i'm nuts she's positive icon_wink.gif and as long as i've got AA batteries i'm gonna stay crazy

ivan tomaski

What do people around here expect from a clue? I have to start out that no one is required to give a clue, but if you do, what do you expect the clue to do?

I kind of expect the clue to give me some extra information to get closer. Lately it seems like some of the clues have been really 'general'. It'd be like asking for directions to my house and me saying "Take I-5 south to the Patterson exit". Well, I kind of figured that much.

My problem is that I usually give obscure clues that most people just don't get. As an example, my originial clue for a cache mentioned a movie reference to an airline. Specifically Quantus the austrailian airline. My intention was to direct the cacher toward the thing that originated from austrailia. The connection required too many steps or was just too obscure for most people. I revamped the clue to again point to the austrailian thing but in a more obvious way.

The type of clue I seem to be getting lately is "If you're near the river you're close." Again, maybe it's me but I don't find that helpful the gps got me to the river that type of clue adds nothing. If you're going to provide a clue make it one that afterwards people look back and say "Oh now I get it."

george

[This message was edited by georgeandmary on March 18, 2002 at 10:20 PM.]

Tomaski...

Congrats on your 100th find...I knew you were getting close ! That's a lot of caches for such a short time and is indicative of two things:

1) there are a lot more caches available now relatively close at hand.

2) you are as crazy (or crazier) than George and I.

This also speaks to another point. Sometime ago an anonymous cacher wrote to Jeremy at geocaching. com and suggested to people that they not let it take over their lives.

As an "addict" myself...somewhat recovered but with occasional setbacks...I agree with that.

For some reason this game seems to take over our lives at times. I have to fight off the urge to get out there. I have to fight off the urge to be first at a cache. Sometimes I don't succeed and caching grabs me again.

I don't think it's a serious addiction (any of us have) but personally I have to be careful once in a while that it doesn't rule my life.

George...

As to clues. I plead guilty in several respects. In some of mine I just put in cute things that more than likely tic off the cacher more than anything else. I think Doggie's Best Friends might be one of these.

Some cachers (world wide) have commented on clues in several forums. Some want it to be a dead giveaway and others want it to be at least something that will take us closer.

Several of the area cachers have put in things like "I can't think of anything now..sorry" (Tomaski) and others "You don't need a clue for this" (George ?). In either of these cases, why put anything at all. Well, I think it's a clue in a way, though not terribly useful. I guess my "humorous" ones aren't so bad after all.

One bay area cacher was upset because pictures get used in clues (I do this) and they don't show up on wireless Palm devices used in the field. Wow, talk about wanting it all !

Anyway, caching continues for all of us....watch the obsessive/compulsive aspect, give clues (in whatever way you want) and enjoy life...it's short !

Ron

quote:

Hey...

The sun is out (for a day or so) and it looks like all the cachers are at work.

Ron

Ahh, think again... I've got thursday and friday off and I've just got my confirmation that I figured out these coordinates corectly. After being stumped on Pathygoras cache I'm proud to say I've figured this one out...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=16950

I sent my coordinats to Aquadyne and got my, "you're withing 5 ft" so now all I have to do is go get it. I actually started to go through all the math involved. Vectors and cross products and such but then my wife "the geologist" who has done these sort of things before thought of an easier way and she was right. Now watch me not be able to find it.

george

George is off biking (and caching) in Monterey I think and Tomaski seems to be missing for a day or so...guess I'll write a note to myself !

Actually, after coming back from a rainy Friday hunt or two in Modesto, I got to thinking more about George's comments on clues and I have some new comments on coordinates.

Clues:

I guess we each think we are doing a good job with our clues. Many times we try to be clever and still give cachers an "edge" with the clue. Sometimes our cleverness isn't understood and our clues go bust.

I took a shot (in pouring rain) at the Giddy-Up cache next to the water channel. The clue mentioned I might see a water tower. Yes, I did. I could see it from where I parked. It's importance to finding the cache eludes me though. I gave up on this in 10 minutes after fighting pouring rain, terrain that gave way under my feet, etc, etc. My search was such a non-serious effort I didn't even post a note about it. I'll go back another time.

Anyway, it would be nice to get some input here in the forum from the other Modesto area cachers on what they think about clues.

Some of my clues are bad too.

Coordinates:

I think I have even more of an issue with the coordinates that we post. I am guilty of this too, so don't think I am picking on any cacher in particular.

I become increasingly convinced that if we just take a set of readings (even in a clearing) that that is not good enough. I have done that, then walked a quarter mile away (to let some time go by and SAT positions change) and have walked back in. While my original setting showed accuracy to 4 feet, when I walked back in and stood at the cache I had just placed, it showed it was still 50 feet away.

When that happens and you combine that with a poor clue, you are looking at cachers who are going to search for an hour to find a quart-sized container, let alone a 2" x 2" container. This is especially true if the container is completely covered by brush, rocks, etc.

I have started taking readings with two gps units. I know...not everyone has two. BUT, you can take a reading. Walk out, walk back in, take another reading. Even come back later in the day if you are in the same park....and check your coordinates.

When I see on a repeated basis (from a number of cachers) that coordinates are off by 40 feet, I start to give up ! I trust my gps to take me down to a few feet of the cache coordinates, but if the person who posted the coordinates did not do a very accurate job of taking them, it's all for naught...that's when a GOOD clue comes in handy.

When an area has a lot of downed trees, high grass, rocks, all those good things, I feel we have to have either some good coordinates and/or clues that are meaningful.

Well, those are most of my feelings I guess. I hope we will get some input on this. George and I seem to be having a "tin cans on a string" conversation going here, and this forum is for all Modesto/Stockton/Lodi/Sacramento cachers who have opinions.

Ron

My wife and I are fairly new to Geocaching and we are having a BLAST. We are going to put our first Cache out this weekend, Double checking your Cord. is a good Idea. We have been at caches with cord. 50' off and searched for a long time to find it. as far as the giddy up cache we gave up, we could'nt find it. We will try to give a good clue with our cache. Thanks, The Morris Family.

We Hope to meet you all on the trail.

Well, for me I like to a good clue. One that will help but not give it away. A clue like "look

in the stump" would be to much of a clue. However one that says "Keep Looking" will get

me upset. I try to only look at a clue after I have searched the area for over 30 to 40 min.

When Dawn and I placed our cache we took about 10 different points over about a 20

minutes. Then found the most common waypoint and used that. The clue we gave should not

give it away but should get you close if you are having a hard time locating it.

Hello all

I personally like clues that make me think a bit; not a clue that I spend hours on trying to decipher, but one that will make me take a step back and say "How is this going to help me find the cache?" For example, I liked the clue that George and Mary used in "21st Symphony."

We tried to use a "puzzle clue" when we placed Verde Mucho, but we really didn't do anything too deep when we placed Giddy Up, mainly because there are not too many places that the cache could actually be when you are in that area. That cache requires lots of looking, probably best done if you have a stick or something to poke around with.

I think there are some folks that are better at developing clues than others, just as there are folks that are better at placing caches and finding caches than others.

I will say what I have already said in conversations with some fellow cachers; Clues are subjective, just like the rating system. I might find a clue very helpful while someone else finds it useless, and vice versa.

As for coordinates, we have found a few caches whose listed coordinates were not even close to what our GPS unit said when we actually found the cache. I don't know why this occurs because I really don't know all the mechanics behind the satellite systems. We always take several readings, at least 8, before recording coordinates, and these are done by walking away and then coming back from a different direction. We then try to do an average to give the best coordinates. Most of the readings will be very, very close.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Hello all

I personally like clues that make me think a bit; not a clue that I spend hours on trying to decipher, but one that will make me take a step back and say "How is this going to help me find the cache?" For example, I liked the clue that George and Mary used in "21st Symphony."

We tried to use a "puzzle clue" when we placed Verde Mucho, but we really didn't do anything too deep when we placed Giddy Up, mainly because there are not too many places that the cache could actually be when you are in that area. That cache requires lots of looking, probably best done if you have a stick or something to poke around with.

I think there are some folks that are better at developing clues than others, just as there are folks that are better at placing caches and finding caches than others.

I will say what I have already said in conversations with some fellow cachers; Clues are subjective, just like the rating system. I might find a clue very helpful while someone else finds it useless, and vice versa.

As for coordinates, we have found a few caches whose listed coordinates were not even close to what our GPS unit said when we actually found the cache. I don't know why this occurs because I really don't know all the mechanics behind the satellite systems. We always take several readings, at least 8, before recording coordinates, and these are done by walking away and then coming back from a different direction. We then try to do an average to give the best coordinates. Most of the readings will be very, very close.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

I'm taking the liberty of stretching the boundaries of this group a little to the South (Los Banos). I'm new to GeoCaching, just completed my 10th Cache Saturday and also my first non-find (Dragonfly.) Got interested after hearing the segment on NPR a couple of weeks ago. Dragged my Mother along to my 1st (and 2nd) out of state cache last week while visiting her in Yuma, Az. I enjoy a lot of traveling and look forward to adding a GeoCaching component.

dave

Welcome Los Banos !

I just sent you an email verifying your find of The Bridges. Dragonfly? What can I say? Take Tomaski with you next time....see if he can find it again !

Feel free to drop into this forum anytime for thoughts, questions, comments.

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by Dirt Hawker:

I'm taking the liberty of stretching the boundaries of this group a little to the South (Los Banos). I'm new to GeoCaching, just completed my 10th Cache Saturday and also my first non-find (Dragonfly.) Got interested after hearing the segment on NPR a couple of weeks ago. Dragged my Mother along to my 1st (and 2nd) out of state cache last week while visiting her in Yuma, Az. I enjoy a lot of traveling and look forward to adding a GeoCaching component.

dave

Since I'm probablly closest too you I expect to be hunting your caches soon.

george

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

My wife and I are fairly new to Geocaching and we are having a BLAST. We are going to put our first Cache out this weekend, Double checking your Cord. is a good Idea. We have been at caches with cord. 50' off and searched for a long time to find it. as far as the giddy up cache we gave up, we could'nt find it. We will try to give a good clue with our cache. Thanks, The Morris Family.

We Hope to meet you all on the trail.

I've been following the last few of your cache finds.. I've been quite impressed and your success at the Ripon Cache and my Clear as Day cache. Tomaski and I were talking it over the other day. Impressive.

george

Hello

Heard something interesting about the Modesto-area caching get-together..heard it would be "invitation only." Is that true?? I know there are some folks who tend to hang out, chat, cache together, etc., and I was told that the get-together would be limited to specific people only.

Just curious if what I was told is correct info or not!

Thanks

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Hello

Heard something interesting about the Modesto-area caching get-together..heard it would be "invitation only." Is that true?? I know there are some folks who tend to hang out, chat, cache together, etc., and I was told that the get-together would be limited to specific people only.

Just curious if what I was told is correct info or not!

Thanks

Jaimee icon_smile.gif