Super Fund sites outside USA

Followers 1

Super Fund sites category only approve US waymarks, all other countries are excluded, so i have few solutions :

1) I submit a waymark, I did it and it was declined https://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/wm1542E_Lusine_de_Canari_la_verrue_du_cap_Corse_France

2) We demote all inactive officers and change category description to expand the category to the world

3) I try to create a new category "Super Fund Sites outside USA"

4) A better idea

What do you think ?

I prefer 2)

• Surprised 1

As I understood the category description only sites on a specific list of the environment protection agency EPA should be allowed. Since the EPA is only a United States Agency (and not one from the United Nations) this would exclude the rest of the world for waymarks in this category - as a lot of other categories intended only for the US or nearby countries (like the "<State> Historical marker" or "Ansel Adams Photo Hunt" categories). But then we have the "German Benchmarks" (or others in Europe) that the US waymarkers have difficulties to get to - so more than fair.

But I just took a look at the links in the description: Unfortunatly that mentioned list at EPA and all the other links are no longer accessible, so the category definitly needs a rework. And I agree with you that expanding the category to allow the "rest of the World" is a better idea than creating a new category for the outside of the US. 

I also took a look at the officers last logins - there is one who is active and one who is semi active whose last login was nearly two month ago. The remaining three seem to be inactive :huh: ...

So I would also vote for option 2 ...

• Funny 1

Superfund sites are part of the EPA, a federal agency in the US. Not sure how other countries do or tackle them. Not sure if or even how to expand the existing category to be more inclusive. I am against a new category, as to me that would seem redundant. If you can prove superfund sites (or their equivalent) lie outside the US, I might also agree with option 2. Could you possibly make a list of what the EU or other regions have to offer?

In France we have a database called BASOL and we can find our waymarl location in this page Canari

So what do we do ? We include France ? It will we be difficult to manage this category waiting that waymarker give a list for their own country and modify the description each time

It's not so easy to find this kind of list and i could find it only because i speak french, i am not able to find the right list for UK, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Portugal,...

We should expand the category, with identified lists and if there is no list for a specific country, we only need active and efficient officers to manage the category.

Edited by Alfouine
  • Helpful 1

I, too, vote for option 2.

More later if I can find anything of use.

Keith

The more:

After a few moments thought this is what I see:

If you should choose to proceed with option 2 the simplest and most logical way would be to simply throw open the category, including what information and website links you have at hand. Then do a bit of a rewrite, stating at the beginning of the description that you have done so and that, should a Waymarker have a suitable site to submit, they must include the name and website URL for the environmental agency in charge of contaminated sites in their country.

Then take that URL and add it to a list within the category description thus:

Australia

Austria

Canada

France

New Zealand

United Kingdom

United States

Etc

Etc

The list will expand as Waymarkers from other countries submit their contaminated sites.

Of course you must insist on good, informative writeups accompanying each new submission, a certain minimum of photos, etc.

Doing it this way opens the category to the world quickly while sparing officers the drudgery of trying to find the URLs for each specific agency in each country. The Waymarkers are better able to do this in any event as they will each be more familiar with their country's government agencies and won't be faced with the language barriers that you will.

Keith

Edit: BTW, each URL that I found and included above appears to need the Waymarker to drill down to find the specific site in question, so it would be necessary  for the Waymarker to include the top level URL for the agency AS WELL AS the link to the specific page for the site they're submitting, UNLESS the top level URL for that country is already on your list, OR, for the sake of simplicity, just require both URLs each time. It won't kill any Waymarkers to include both - IE two REQUIRED variables.

Then we have to address the site itself and whether it should be acceptable as a Superfund type of site or just a site that has been identified as contaminated but at which no actual cleanup has been undertaken. I've done a few of the US Superfund sites but will have to go back and review the category to see what they're presently requiring. More in the morning - it's bed time now.

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Upvote 2
On 10/14/2021 at 9:24 PM, Alfouine said:

2) We demote all inactive officers and change category description to expand the category to the world

I also think that would be the best solution, rather than recreating a new category. At least we would have a world category, and which would take on a new lease of life.

3 hours ago, Becktracker said:

Please take in consideration that visiting these sites can be a health risk. They are the most polluted zones of a country. 

Actually, they shouldn't be, as superfund sites have either been cleaned up or are in the process.

No, I'm wrong. After reading the site specific page for the ANACONDA CO. SMELTER, for example, I see that it hasn't yet been cleaned up, only studies done to date.

"Status (July 1983): The Anaconda Co. voluntarily entered into an agreement with EPA and the State for a study to identify and quantify hazardous materials at the smelter. The sampling and analysis of the results have been completed by the parties to the agreement.

EPA is planning a remedial investigation/feasibility study to determine the type and extent of contamination at the site and identify alternatives for remedial action. EPA is also negotiating with Anaconda to have the company take interim remedial measures to stabilize conditions at the site."

This appears to mean that a site doesn't have to have been decontaminated in order to be accepted in the Superfund category.

But first, Thierry, you need to get Andreas on board. I notice that he hasn't posted here yet.

The new Superfund URL.

Keith

On a related note:

Did everyone know that International Landscape Day is just two days down the road?

International Landscape Day

The International landscape Day is celebrated annually on 20 October. Celebrating Landscape Day began on the initiative of the Council of Europe. The main objective of the Landscape Day is to highlight the importance of the landscapes as integral part of the cultural heritage, identity, well-being and the quality of our living environment.

Annual landscape celebration

International Landscape Day was celebrated for the first time in 2017. At that time the Ministry of the Environment challenged the municipalities and NGOs to consider how the day could be celebrated in the coming years.

The objective of the Council of Europe is to institutionali[z]e the celebration of the International Landscape day on 20 October as an annual tradition. The International Landscape day is celebrated by all parties to the European Landscape Convention.

The European Landscape Convention promotes the protection, management and planning of European landscapes and organi[z]es European co-operation on landscape issues. The European Landscape Convention is the first international treaty to concern solely landscapes.

The European Landscape Convention was adopted on 20 October 2000 in Florence and came into force in Finland on 1 April 2006. The convention is ratified by 40 countries.

I would like to hear more feedback from other Waymarkers please. In Germany we have "Kataster" but these are often (99%) not accessible to the public. Not sure if we should expand it, I'm getting already a mild headache thinking about it. :signalviolin:

2 hours ago, wayfrog said:

I would like to hear more feedback from other Waymarkers please. In Germany we have "Kataster" but these are often (99%) not accessible to the public. Not sure if we should expand it, I'm getting already a mild headache thinking about it. :signalviolin:

Sorry, I wanted to say that even the database is not accessible to the public.

11 hours ago, Alfouine said:

I can not imagine that a super fund site could be accessible... even in USA 

I, too, have visited several that are accessible.

People seem to be under the impression that Superfund Sites are all "Three Mile Island" type sites, containing oodles of strongly radioactive or carcinogenic material that will surely shorten the life of anyone who visits. For the most part, such is not the case. Each site is different in terms of what caused the site to become contaminated, but, even before cleanup, most were not imminently dangerous to those who visited. Often, they contain mine or industrial wastes containing small amounts of heavy metals which it is feared may leach into the soil or the ground water.

As well, many sites may be viewed without actually entering the site itself, such as the one I noted above, the ANACONDA CO. SMELTER site. This is a site that has not even been cleaned up, as the danger it poses is pretty minimal, though still real.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
11 hours ago, wayfrog said:

Sorry, I wanted to say that even the database is not accessible to the public.

OK but it's not because in one country database is not accessible that the category can not be expanded

I repeat but "We should expand the category, with identified lists and if there is no list for a specific country, we only need active and efficient officers to manage the category"

This kind of category can be and should be expanded. The other solution is to create a new category with the same description excluding USA, this is really stupid....

• Upvote 2
On 10/16/2021 at 11:50 AM, ScroogieII said:

... should a Waymarker have a suitable site to submit, they must include the name and website URL for the environmental agency in charge of contaminated sites in their country.

In Austria we have https://www.altlasten.gv.at/atlas/verzeichnis.html ("Verzeichnis der Altlasten" = List of contaminated sites). There are separate lists for each province and lots of detailled information about what is/was wrong with site, the size, the status, etc.

After quite some research I found 29 different maps for Switzerland. One for each canton plus three different domains under federal control or responsibility.

They all have a slightly different look and feel, but the ones I have checked yet do NOT provide any detail information in a way that they could fulfill the specific URL requirement proposed by Keith.

There is free access to the map with the exact coordinates and shapes of the sites. Additional provided information are classifications of type (depot/landfill, production site, accident, shooting range ...) and severity (no action needed, supervision needed, decontamination needed, research needed ...).

In general, there are no detail pages and no additional information, not even IDs or so. So it's easy to find all the sites, but then it gets difficult.

However, there are some selected detail pages about a handful of the largest current or recent decontamination projects, like Bonfol JU (a 12 year project for 420 million US-$ ) or Kölliken AG (15 years, costs around 770 million $)

(SCNR: Next to the infamous huge toxic landfill site, the village of Kölliken is also known as the childhood home of International music star DJ Bobo. Some people say there must be a connection between the contamination and his music. :ph34r:)

• Funny 1
1 hour ago, fi67 said:

(SCNR: Next to the infamous huge toxic landfill site, the village of Kölliken is also known as the childhood home of International music star DJ Bobo. Some people say there must be a connection between the contamination and his music. :ph34r:)

I know of some music that is worse (sounding like a vacuum cleaner falling down the stairs and an orc at the mike) - probably these were contaminated, too.

13 minutes ago, FamilieFrohne said:

I know of some music that is worse (sounding like a vacuum cleaner falling down the stairs and an orc at the mike) - probably these were contaminated, too.

Yep, some orcs are really bad singers, but you better don't tell them.

OTOH, a nicely tuned vacuum cleaner has its merits.

• Funny 1
On 10/23/2021 at 1:07 PM, Alfouine said:

This kind of category can be and should be expanded. The other solution is to create a new category with the same description excluding USA, this is really stupid....

OK, Thierry, if you really want to continue with this, I'm willing to help with each and every aspect of the RE-creation of the category. I believe you should still have my email addy, so write me. If you have managed to lose my addy you can get it from Phil. :mad:

Between yourself, myself and Andreas, we should be able to cobble together a presentable rewrite acceptable to our community, and in a minimum of three languages, to boot. :)

This is, in truth, a category ripe for expansion. Waymarking began in the U.S. so, quite naturally, many of the initial categories thought little of the world outside those borders. However, I, and anyone with their eyes open, have come to the realization that the majority of newcomers to the sport have lived their entire lives in a country in which Seattle is not situated.

Given that our community has, of late, favoured category expansion, when possible, over category creation, A Superfund category, by any other name, would smell as sweet.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII