TB9GB8G - WISA WOODSAT - the first wooden satellite in the world

Voutar

Greetings from the WISA Woodsat HQ!

After the announcement of WISA Woodsat satellite trackable (TB9GB8G) mid August, we have over 6200 people on the watch list! That also means that I have received a fair amount of messages regarding the satellite itself, the procedure of logging it, launch schedule and many others. Unfortunately I am not able to answer them one by one, so, let's talk satellites in this discussion thread. 

The most common question is, how you can log the satellite trackable. I have added the instructions to the trackable page https://coord.info/TB9GB8G. The thing to note is that you can only do that AFTER the satellite has been launched. The trackable code is only visibile in the photos taken by the satellite itself with its selfie-camera. 

You can follow WISA Woodsat project progress on https://wisawoodsat.space. We have blogs and videos showing how the satellite materials are made, how they are machined, and tested. You can also find WISA Woodsat on Instagram and Twitter with the handles @wisawoodsat and #wisawoodsat. 

Anything else you would like to know about the satellite?

8 hours ago, Unit473L said:

This may already have been answered on your page, but I'll ask it here anyway:

How long do you expect WISA to last? I know NASA's Opportunity rover was only meant to last about three months but ended up functioning for several years.

The planned service life of WISA Woodsat is approximately 2 years but if all goes well, it might be significantly longer. The time on orbit is estimated to be  7-10 years.  During that time the velocity will slow down so much that gravity will start pulling the satellite from the orbit. As WISA Woodsat is small and made of wood instead of e.g. aluminum, it will turn into gas (it  will not burn due to the lack of oxygen).

14 hours ago, Voutar said:

...it will turn into gas (it  will not burn due to the lack of oxygen)

Wow, I did not know that! I just assumed everything burned up when it hit atmosphere due to friction. I guess that's one way to go - stripped down to component molecules (a gross over-simplification, I don't know all the science involved). Thanks!

• Love 1