Girl Scout Cache

OnMyHonor

Hi Geocaching Community,

I am a Girl Scout leader and my troop just finished our Geocacher Badge. The girls are excited to create and maintain a geocache in the park where we hold our meetings and wanted it to be Girl Scout themed. In reading the Guidelines, I'm not sure this would be permissible. However, the girls came up with some ideas that seem to work.

• Juliette Low - Historical facts about Girl Scouts' founder.
  • S'mores - Facts about this treat that was first published in a Girl Scout newsletter.
  • Girl Scout Cookies - Facts about this "classic" product that is part of national culture.
  • Girl Scout History - Historical facts about Girl Scouts.
  • Famous Girl Scouts - Historical facts about famous women who are Girl Scout alumnae.

We wouldn't include any websites to find out more information or recruitment information about joining or volunteering with Girl Scouts, where to buy Cookies, etc. Would these kinds of topics be okay? These girls are 9-10 years old, and before they put a lot of work into the cache, I wanted to try to clear this up.  

Many thanks from a Junior Girl Scout Leader.

On 10/12/2021 at 1:55 PM, OnMyHonor said:

Hi Geocaching Community,

I am a Girl Scout leader and my troop just finished our Geocacher Badge. The girls are excited to create and maintain a geocache in the park where we hold our meetings and wanted it to be Girl Scout themed. In reading the Guidelines, I'm not sure this would be permissible. However, the girls came up with some ideas that seem to work.

• S'mores - Facts about this treat that was first published in a Girl Scout newsletter.
  • Girl Scout Cookies - Facts about this "classic" product that is part of national culture.
  • Famous Girl Scouts - Historical facts about famous women who are Girl Scout alumnae.

We wouldn't include any websites to find out more information or recruitment information about joining or volunteering with Girl Scouts, where to buy Cookies, etc. Would these kinds of topics be okay? These girls are 9-10 years old, and before they put a lot of work into the cache, I wanted to try to clear this up.  

Something to consider would be a puzzle cache and answering trivia questions about girl scouts would give them numbers for the final coordinates where you want to place the cache. I think it sounds like a fun idea. 

• Helpful 1

That's a LOT of information to pack into one cache description - and likely would not get read much (not to discourage you, but it's a fact).  Like Max and 99 said, a puzzle cache or a multi cache that gives the information, but breaks it up into smaller chunks, would be more manageable.  You'll be walking a fine line between stating the facts and what some reviewers may see as an "agenda" - wording will make a big difference!  By letting the cachers find the information to solve a puzzle clue will be less likely to draw a red flag.

Good luck with the project!  I am a BSA (now Scouting USA) Geocaching Merit Badge Counselor, and we have the option of hiding a cache, releasing a travel bug, or holding an event.  I like being able to give Scouts the options.

• Upvote 1

The puzzle cache/ mulit-cache idea has a problem, neither type is shown to Basic members on the Geocaching app.   I expect finding that cache is going to part of the fun for the troop over time, so it needs to be a Traditional with D/T of 2 or less.

A short paragraph about one of your topics would be my suggestion. And it wouldn't be cookies ;-) because no matter how you write it, the cookies are a fund raiser.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
On 10/12/2021 at 2:55 PM, OnMyHonor said:

I am a Girl Scout leader and my troop just finished our Geocacher Badge...

Kinda surprised that badges were given already.  I thought that happened after a cache was placed.   :)

You do realize that any caches placed have to be accessible to anyone, right ?  This won't be a GS-only thing...

Like Isonzo Karst, I might even make up a 4 traditional cache series based on some things you mention, but leave those cookies out...

We've seen most scouts won't have any interest after a patch is given out, so basic members mean I'd be sure to place them so they're rated 2/2 or less.

Guess you realize any caches placed make you responsible ... 

We haven't seen a "scout" cache yet that has been maintained after they've received their patch, and moved onto something else. 

• Upvote 1

Is it necessary to list the cache(s)?

Let everyone hide one cache for the others - no guidelines, no problems. Than have one fun day visiting all the caches with the girls, finding them all. Collect the boxes after you've found them so no unmaintained boxes remain outside. If you want to you can give a little prize to the most creative hide. Give everyone their badge and it's good.

"Forcing" someone to list a cache is never a good idea.

Jochen

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2
On 10/12/2021 at 2:55 PM, OnMyHonor said:

Hi Geocaching Community,

My friend is a Girl Scout leader and set up a series of caches named for the different levels - ranks? - of Girl Scouts.  Here's one (Brownies) for your reference, maybe this will help you somehow.

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC7YGD4

• Funny 1
  • Love 1