private/semi-private events?

sparkey916

Does GC have a way to do a private event?   This could be good for Kids Birthday Parties or Presentations to a group like Scouts or School groups.  They could all get an easy "find" as part of the party or presentation.  They could have a fun message and feel like a part of the community.  Maybe offer 1 per premium membership per year?  

When I have done group presentations I typically find a nearby cache (usually added swag).  But this could always remind them of the day.  I suppose Labs could be used too (if you have one). 

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
3 minutes ago, sparkey916 said:

They could all get an easy "find"

It'll be more memorable if they have to work for it.

4 minutes ago, sparkey916 said:

Does GC have a way to do a private event? 

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you want someone from HQ to come to the private birthday party to teach geocaching? No, they don't do that. 

5 minutes ago, sparkey916 said:

When I have done group presentations I typically find a nearby cache

Please don't do this unless it is your geocache.

• Upvote 3
34 minutes ago, sparkey916 said:

Does GC have a way to do a private event?

Not to my knowledge.  They should be open to any and all atendees that wish to attend.  However, it's possible that facilities may have a capacity limit due to Covid or size of the venue, so that might limit attendance to the first X number of cachers who file a Will Attend log.  This obviously is a new possibility so I'm not sure how GS would handle that.

37 minutes ago, sparkey916 said:

This could be good for Kids Birthday Parties or Presentations to a group like Scouts or School groups.

Again, you're more than welcome to create an event for these things, even if it's for a specific targeted audience.  The thing you can't do, as far as I understand, is limit attendees.  I was asked to do an intro to geocaching presentation for two venues.  I created an event for one of them and didn't for the other.

44 minutes ago, sparkey916 said:

I typically find a nearby cache

I brought in a bunch of various sized containers and hid them around the area where my events took place.  I wouldn't use someone else's cache as part of a demonstration, unless I had their permission.

• Upvote 2