An easy improvement for Cache Owners owning multiple caches.

Y? O!

I know it is always a bit risky to adjust a data system, but this would probably be very safe and very helpful for some:

Changing the color to red for your own caches when there is a maintenance request.

For most cachers this will mean nothing, most of them are not cache owners. For most of the cache owners, this will also mean very little, because they have just a few caches to take care of.

But for the few of us owning many caches, those of us who are responsible for at least 50 % of all caches, this will be very useful.

Of course there are ways for a c o to solve this problem. You can keep list of your caches with such requests. I do that. But still I am often frustrated. If you have a series of e. g. 20 challenges, and two or three of them have requests, you will easily have problems to remember which one needs a request and which one is where. Of course  you can check this before you go there, but who do this every time? You can check it when you are there, which will normally mean you must change app a few times. I you have a bit messy mind, which I guess many of us have, this may easily cost so much time that you don't do it. If you are in an area with poor mobile signals, you will easily be completely lost.

Several times I have had to do checks when I have been there to do maintaining. Several times I have realized that I had to go back because I forgot one, and several times I have realized that when I am back home there is one that I had forgotten. And sometimes you are at the place where you have a series and would like to check if there are some there needing tlc, and you have no easy way to find out.

It would have been so much easier if my those caches had been marked in some way on the map. Most cachers will not see it, but they will probably observe less caches in bad shape.

Not to forget: When I am out caching myself, and go into an area where I also have one or more caches, it will be wise to be reminded "check this one, please."

Martin Ystenes (Y? O!)

Owner of more than 500 caches

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 3
8 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

No improvement is easy with Groundspeak so forget about it.

If they want to help hiders they could start by reducing the ridiculous amount of email we are getting from just hiding a cache...

What sort of email? I have hardly ever gotten any emails. The only ones I remember, was one I placed too close to someone's property and I needed to correct the coordinates, and another I had to prove was really 1T. It was and I answered satisfactorily. I wish more people had to prove that too. My other caches were published without any comments.

42 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

What sort of email? I have hardly ever gotten any emails. The only ones I remember, was one I placed too close to someone's property and I needed to correct the coordinates, and another I had to prove was really 1T. It was and I answered satisfactorily. I wish more people had to prove that too. My other caches were published without any comments.

The automatic emails from Groundspeak.

For every new hide I submit I get 2 emails and when it's published I get 3 more emails or 4 if on my new cache notifications...

• Funny 1

Hi Y? O!  - "Changing the color to red for your own caches .."

Unspoken is WHERE this red color happens?   I'm going to guess an app? 

be sure you know about owner tools on the website

1) cache owner dashboard  https://www.geocaching.com/play/owner

2) any cache you own with NM attribute set  https://www.geocaching.com/play/owner/published?filter=needsMaintenance

3) caches you own, a list that shows the last 3 logs and can be ranked in various ways https://www.geocaching.com/play/owner/published

You can use Search for caches you own with NM set. And from there get them on a list. Which is easy to load to an app.

https://www.geocaching.com/play/search?radius=10mi&g=-1&ot=4&owner=Y%3F+O!&o=2&att=42

Thanks for hiding. 

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Helpful 3
7 hours ago, Y? O! said:

I know it is always a bit risky to adjust a data system, but this would probably be very safe and very helpful for some:

Changing the color to red for your own caches when there is a maintenance request.

For most cachers this will mean nothing, most of them are not cache owners. For most of the cache owners, this will also mean very little, because they have just a few caches to take care of.

But for the few of us owning many caches, those of us who are responsible for at least 50 % of all caches, this will be very useful.

Of course there are ways for a c o to solve this problem. You can keep list of your caches with such requests. I do that. But still I am often frustrated. If you have a series of e. g. 20 challenges, and two or three of them have requests, you will easily have problems to remember which one needs a request and which one is where. Of course  you can check this before you go there, but who do this every time? You can check it when you are there, which will normally mean you must change app a few times. I you have a bit messy mind, which I guess many of us have, this may easily cost so much time that you don't do it. If you are in an area with poor mobile signals, you will easily be completely lost.

Several times I have had to do checks when I have been there to do maintaining. Several times I have realized that I had to go back because I forgot one, and several times I have realized that when I am back home there is one that I had forgotten. And sometimes you are at the place where you have a series and would like to check if there are some there needing tlc, and you have no easy way to find out.

It would have been so much easier if my those caches had been marked in some way on the map. Most cachers will not see it, but they will probably observe less caches in bad shape.

Not to forget: When I am out caching myself, and go into an area where I also have one or more caches, it will be wise to be reminded "check this one, please."

Martin Ystenes (Y? O!)

Owner of more than 500 caches

Like the teacher marking all your mistakes with a red pen? So you can't miss it? 😁