Feature suggestion - popup for cache

SamLowrey

Since many do not read the description of a cache, especially when using the app on the phone, I thought it might be good to have a popup feature available.  I know that when the app updates on my phone I get the popup for each cache type the first time I click on it describing what the type means.  It would behave like that but for each cache that has the feature turned on for that cache.  And would only open once. 

I was thinking of putting out a cache where the trailhead has no obvious parking nearby.  One might be tempted to park at the closest area but that would mean walking along a busy road with no shoulder and not much area to walk beside the road.  However, there is some non-obvious parking elsewhere that would lead the cacher along a safer path.  Yes, I could add the parking but I think some would not look for it.  So even if the popup simply said "Check Parking" that would be helpful.  So that could be one way to do it.  Have only pre-set messages like that as opposed to some open text field.

I guess the downside would be that people would overuse it.  People who think warning about poison ivy would warrant the popup and it would just get annoying.

Edited by SamLowrey
  • Helpful 1
44 minutes ago, SamLowrey said:

Since many do not read the description of a cache, especially when using the app on the phone, I thought it might be good to have a popup feature available. 

I was thinking of putting out a cache where the trailhead has no obvious parking nearby.  One might be tempted to park at the closest area but that would mean walking along a busy road with no shoulder and not much area to walk beside the road.  However, there is some non-obvious parking elsewhere that would lead the cacher along a safer path.  Yes, I could add the parking but I think some would not look for it. 

I guess the downside would be that people would overuse it. 

People who think warning about poison ivy would warrant the popup and it would just get annoying.

We haven't read descriptions on low D/T traditionals in years.  Unhelpful blather, to the extent that it could be another "page" worth the reason. 

Then you find there's no hint after all that carp...  Not placing low D/T caches, so it stirs some interest to read it works. 

How many low D/T caches are more than a quick stroll (if that) from the car ?

I'd scroll through all the blather to get to the space for parking, JIC.  Most we know do. 

Here, with some drives into game lands (our largest landowner) adjoining private home's driveways, it'd be nice to pick the right one.  :)

Yep, PI, thorns, and ticks...all the common sense things that folks see outdoors.   That's what attributes are for...

14 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

We haven't read descriptions on low D/T traditionals in years.  Unhelpful blather, to the extent that it could be another "page" worth the reason. 

Then you find there's no hint after all that carp...  Not placing low D/T caches, so it stirs some interest to read it works. 

How many low D/T caches are more than a quick stroll (if that) from the car ?

I'd scroll through all the blather to get to the space for parking, JIC.  Most we know do. 

Here, with some drives into game lands (our largest landowner) adjoining private home's driveways, it'd be nice to pick the right one.  :)

Yep, PI, thorns, and ticks...all the common sense things that folks see outdoors.   That's what attributes are for...

Yes, this would have a higher T so maybe that would be enough to get someone to prepare.   

6 hours ago, SamLowrey said:

Since many do not read the description of a cache, especially when using the app on the phone, I thought it might be good to have a popup feature available.

Mystery cache type is made for caches that require some preparation. For example, reading the description. Additional hints section is also a good place for required information as it happens to be used more than the description.

Anyway... you are right that there are cases where additional bells and whistles should be available in the description.

Edited by arisoft
  • Funny 2
4 hours ago, SamLowrey said:

Since many do not read the description of a cache, [...]

[...] Yes, I could add the parking but I think some would not look for it.  [...]

Maybe I'm a bit harsh here, but someone, who misses important information, because they intentionally don't read the cache description or look at the additional waypoints, just get what they deserve. Granted, in many cases the descriptions of traditionals are not helpful or interesting, but in some cases they are. It's part of the game to get all the info from the cache page, if you want to have it as easy as the CO intended.

I have made my caching life difficult at times, when I searched unnecessarily long for a container, because I didn't read the description of a low D/T trad and therefore missed a clear statement about the nature of the hide. But that was all my own fault, and instead of suggesting more baby-sitting by COs ;) , I only slap my own head.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 2
1 hour ago, baer2006 said:

Maybe I'm a bit harsh here, but someone, who misses important information, because they intentionally don't read the cache description or look at the additional waypoints, just get what they deserve.

In some cases the information is needed, for example, to prevent geocachers to enter private land or drive private roads. CO is not trying to save the geocacher from trouble but save the geocache itself from trouble.

Using a multi-cache to enforce correct path to the cache is a good idea, but many geocachers just share the final coordinates and try to find the shortest path to the final, passing other stages completely.

• Upvote 1

All good suggestions.  I had thought about multicache anyway.  So that may work.  Some nearby Wherigo caches have pushed me over the edge to finally try some of those and that, too, may be a solution.  I will have to do a few of them to figure out how it works.  Thanks everyone.  I think the consensus is right - this may not be worth it.

Edited by SamLowrey
8 minutes ago, SamLowrey said:

All good suggestions.  I had thought about multicache anyway.  So that may work.  Some nearby Wherigo caches have pushed me over the edge to finally try some of those and that, too, may be a solution.  I will have to do a few of them to figure out how it works.  Thanks everyone.  I think the consensus is right - this may not be worth it.

Not a fan of the multicache option it will cut foot traffic by at least 50%.

The solution should be that extra waypoints like parking waypoint are showing up automatically on the map when you click a cache on the app and not buried under multiple layer of menu that you need to open to even check if there are extra waypoints...

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
21 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

The solution should be that extra waypoints like parking waypoint are showing up automatically on the map when you click a cache on the app and not buried under multiple layer of menu that you need to open to even check if there are extra waypoints...

It would also be helpful if the Driving Directions in the app and website used parking coordinates (or trackhead coordinates if there are no parking coordinates) rather than directing cachers to the road nearest to GZ. I had a cache (now archived) where the driving directions would lead people to the top of an undercut cliff when the cache was at the bottom and accessed by walking in along the base of the cliff from a kilometre or so south of GZ.