Bike-able caches in the SF Bay Area?

kapow!

Hey folks,

I've recently found myself without a car...so I'm getting around by bike. I'm dying to do some more caching, but I'm finding that quite a few of them are a bit out of reach. (Example: Many caches are in Tilden, which is a bit tough for me to get to on my bike--I don't have the legs to get it up that hill yet.) icon_smile.gif

Anyhow, does anyone out there have some ideas of caches you could bike to? Or take BART and then bike to? East Bay locations are preferred, but I'm sure I could be coaxed into the other side of the bay as well. (Especially if I get really desperate!)

Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by kapow!:

Hey folks,

I've recently found myself without a car...so I'm getting around by bike. I'm dying to do some more caching, but I'm finding that quite a few of them are a bit out of reach. (Example: Many caches are in Tilden, which is a bit tough for me to get to on my bike--I don't have the legs to get it up that hill yet.) icon_smile.gif

Anyhow, does anyone out there have some ideas of caches you could bike to? Or take BART and then bike to? East Bay locations are preferred, but I'm sure I could be coaxed into the other side of the bay as well. (Especially if I get really desperate!)

Thanks

look for caches hidden by bykenut, pedaler, or pedalman. they all hide caches that are meant for bike riders. All but one of my caches is reachable by caltrain/bike combination, and the one that's not merely requires a half mile hike on a trail that's not open to bikes.

That should do for a starting point.

Marty Fouts

ae6ip

If you can get down south some how (bus?), there are a series of caches along the coyote creek bike trail. It's a flat paved trail that seems to go on for a long time. I've only ridden short sections of the trail but there are many caches along it's length.

george

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

All of my caches are bikeable using a road bike, like Marty mentioned.

My caches in San Jose can be reached using a combination of CalTrain and the VTA Light Rail Train system. Once you get to the area of my San Jose caches, there are many others in the area that are road bikeable, like all of those along the Coyote Creek Trail, like George mentioned. The Coyote Creek Trail goes all the way down to Morgan Hill, where a bunch more of bikeable caches await you.

Also from San Jose CalTrain, you can ride to Campbell to Los Gatos along the Los Gatos Creek Trail where there are many caches along the trail as well as in the Campbell and Los Gatos areas.

My one cache in Sunnyvale can be reached by CalTrain. There are also many other bikeable caches nearby on the Pennisula as well.

I have one cache in Fremont that can be reached via BART and the Alameda Creek Trail. Near the trail are also several more road bikeable caches.

Many of the caches in the Pleasanton / Livermore area are road bikeable and can be easily reached via BART. There are so many caches in close proximity in Pleasanton that I found that using a bike is easier to get around (provided riding in traffic doesn't bother you) than moving your car and parking every couple of miles.

If you (or anyone else) need bike routing info for reaching caches in the areas I've mentioned above, feel free to contact me. icon_smile.gif

bykenut

We don't actually bike to caches, but have been to some that I would consider bikeable icon_smile.gif.

You've found some of the Berkeley-area Bayside ones, but I think the others - like Back Atcha, Looney Tunes (easy bike from El Cerrito Plaza), New Stinky (bike from Downtown Berkeley BART or up from Emeryville?), and Trifecta (ditto) would be fine as long as you don't mind locking your bike up while you do the final bit of hunting.

Veruca and

Clue Stick are in hill park that's a relatively flat and short ride from the El Cerrito Del Norte station (though neither of these have been found in a while, and I'm not 100% sure there's a bike rack near the park).

Finally, if you want some hills that are maybe less challenging than getting all the way up to Tilden, Trifecta Vista (from the El Cerrito BART - great views) and Benner Canyon (in the Berkeley hills, but not all the way up - a wonderful park) are both really nice.

Hope this helps, and happy caching! icon_biggrin.gif

--Alison