Enter coordinates to show the place on the map

Scooby_2

I have tried searching the forums for "Enter coordinates app" and it gives 179 pages of results. However most are asking how to display the current position coordinates (which I don't understand, as my app does that from the compass display). I want to do the opposite - I have tried to find a few caches where a user has suggested different coordinates than those posted by the cache owner. I would like to be able to show the position of these coordinates from within the app, but if it's not possible what suggestions does anybody have for an alternative? (ie an app that will allow me to enter the coordinates and show the place on a map relative to my current position.) I have tried moving around and watching the coordinates displayed on the compass to try to align them with what a user has suggested, but it's very difficult.

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, Scooby_2 said:

I have tried searching the forums for "Enter coordinates app" and it gives 179 pages of results. However most are asking how to display the current position coordinates (which I don't understand, as my app does that from the compass display). I want to do the opposite - I have tried to find a few caches where a user has suggested different coordinates than those posted by the cache owner. I would like to be able to show the position of these coordinates from within the app, but if it's not possible what suggestions does anybody have for an alternative? (ie an app that will allow me to enter the coordinates and show the place on a map relative to my current position.) I have tried moving around and watching the coordinates displayed on the compass to try to align them with what a user has suggested, but it's very difficult.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=102&pgid=721

• Helpful 1

As a side note, the web map doesn't do this either. If I want to see specific coordinates, what I tend to do is enter it in the search, so the map centers on that location, then zoom in all the way to get a sense of the actual location. With the GME browser extension I can add a pin at the coordinates (sometimes trial and error to get the exact lat/lon).

On 10/3/2021 at 9:41 PM, Scooby_2 said:

I have tried to find a few caches where a user has suggested different coordinates than those posted by the cache owner. I would like to be able to show the position of these coordinates from within the app, but if it's not possible what suggestions does anybody have for an alternative?

There may be a few hiking / orienteering apps which will easily and natively do this, but the (hard) way that I do it is:

1. From the cache page (website), copy the current co-ords

2. Paste those into Google maps

3. Edit as needed (such as changing .345 to .355 or whatever the suggested alt coord is)

4. Stumble around heading the wrong way various times following the jumping gps on my phone before accidentally ending up at the right spot.

Hopefully if someone else knows of a better app, it'll get recommended here. B) 

48 minutes ago, Scooby_2 said:

@+thebruce0 How do you "enter it in the search, so the map centers on that location, then zoom in all the way to get a sense of the actual location.?" 

On the Browse Map, you can enter coordinates in the search field. All that will do is center the map on those coordinates at the current zoom level, so it's still hard to see where the 'pin' might actually be. So if you just continue zooming in (without moving the map, just hit + or the zoom button) it will zoom in as far as the map style will allow and you get a better sense of where the coordinates are.

It would be nice if the map would actually drop a pin ON the coordinates if that's what the user searched for, but it doesn't.

4 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

On the Browse Map, you can enter coordinates in the search field. All that will do is center the map on those coordinates at the current zoom level, so it's still hard to see where the 'pin' might actually be. So if you just continue zooming in (without moving the map, just hit + or the zoom button) it will zoom in as far as the map style will allow and you get a better sense of where the coordinates are.

It would be nice if the map would actually drop a pin ON the coordinates if that's what the user searched for, but it doesn't.

Thank you once again for your prompt reply.