extra page for cache listing

Contramine

1 hour ago, Contramine said:
I often make a cache listing in two languages.
With a lot of text and photos, the listing becomes very long.
A link to an extra page would be very nice. 
This extra page could contain the translated text and photos. 
Is this possible?

If you have run out of room, you've said too much already. How many people do you think are going to bother to read a second page of text?

There used to be an option to include a link for relevant information but that was removed a few years ago. 

I'm sorry but I don't know of any other way to include a second page for your cache. Others here may be able to help you.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
7 minutes ago, Hügh said:

You could put one language below the other, and use links to allow people to skip over the content that's irrelevant to them. Only works on the computer. 

https://echoecho.com/htmllinks08.htm

I know the HTML code for that kind of link. And indeed, it works only at the computer.
I think a better option is a separate page for the translation.

12 minutes ago, Contramine said:

I know the HTML code for that kind of link. And indeed, it works only at the computer.
I think a better option is a separate page for the translation.

In that case your only option is to host the cache pages externally, on your own server. The number of listings that require such functionality is dwarfed by those that don't. 

Edited by Hügh
*your
6 hours ago, Contramine said:

That's what you'd use it for...  For others though, there'd be even more nonsensical garbage.   :)

We usually don't read low D/T traditionals now because of  blather on cache pages, none of which has anything to do with the cache.

IIRC, our last was about the beautiful town the CO lived in.  It didn't mention the nano that was behind the porta potty...

When we can't find the cache, we often see that with all that carp... there's no hint.  Go figure.

1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

That's what you'd use it for...  For others though, there'd be even more nonsensical garbage.   :)

We usually don't read low D/T traditionals now because of  blather on cache pages, none of which has anything to do with the cache.

IIRC, our last was about the beautiful town the CO lived in.  It didn't mention the nano that was behind the porta potty...

When we can't find the cache, we often see that with all that carp... there's no hint.  Go figure.

On my traditionals, for example GC8RTKC, the description is usually a guide on how to get to GZ together with some of the history and/or geography to look out for along the way. At most there might be one short sentence about the cache itself as it's usually something stock-standard like a Sistema. For a novelty container I won't say anything about it as it's meant to be a surprise. Perhaps some may see it as nonsensical garbage but in the example I gave, there have been several finders who've just followed the arrow on their device without reading the description and so have left the fire trail too early and found themselves bashing their way through thick scrub across a gully.

As for multilingual caches, perhaps a better way might be to have several versions of the cache page with a drop-down menu at the top to select the language, or even tie it in with the user's language setting.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

That extra page is certainly not meant for more information (you say garbage). It is a page for the text in another language.

Do you like a solution like that?

e̵x̵a̵m̵p̵l̵e̵ ̵d̵e̵l̵e̵t̵e̵d̵*

If you like it too, you can give HQ a suggestion for improvement. Good luck.

In the meantime I use country flags and e.g. different links to the different virtual tours like here:

https://coord.info/GC7B810

Greetings Johannis10

*I had to remove the example because otherwise my post will be deleted again. The aim of this article was not an undesirable comparison, but only to show how GS could get better...
  • Funny 2
11 minutes ago, Johannis10 said:

Do you like a solution like that?

e̵x̵a̵m̵p̵l̵e̵ ̵d̵e̵l̵e̵t̵e̵d̵*

If you like it too, you can give HQ a suggestion for improvement. Good luck.

In the meantime I use country flags and e.g. different links to the different virtual tours like here:

https://coord.info/GC7B810

Greetings Johannis10

*I had to remove the example because otherwise my post will be deleted again. The aim of this article was not an undesirable comparison, but only to show how GS could get better...

I've seen the example. The example would be a very good solution.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Guess you missed the part about worthless blather on LOW D/T caches...   

That example I gave is 1.5/2.5 which I'd consider low D/T. It's a 400 metre walk along a fire trail then out across an open rock shelf (if you follow the directions in the description) and I only made it a 2.5 rather than a 2 because the fire trail is fairly steep in one section. It was meant to be a nice easy cache close to the road with an unexpectedly good view from GZ, but enough people aren't reading the description and suffering the consequences that I'm seriously considering archiving it.

18 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

That example I gave is 1.5/2.5 which I'd consider low D/T. It's a 400 metre walk along a fire trail then out across an open rock shelf (if you follow the directions in the description) and I only made it a 2.5 rather than a 2 because the fire trail is fairly steep in one section.

It was meant to be a nice easy cache close to the road with an unexpectedly good view from GZ, but enough people aren't reading the description and suffering the consequences that I'm seriously considering archiving it.

Yeah, I understand that... I personally think 2.5 is low as well, but most will say you guys are in a unique situation (and there's a thread on "maintenance" that explains that).   :)

The rest of the world, a low D/T  is less than 2/2, and means you get outta your car for a quick, and usually not too distant find... 

For example, we know few (us, and maybe a couple dozen others...) who thinks a 2.5 in terrain is low in terrain.

I've started at 2T the past coupla years now because the majority of cachers don't even go there (here).  Why is another thread...

10 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Yeah, I understand that... I personally think 2.5 is low as well, but most will say you guys are in a unique situation (and there's a thread on "maintenance" that explains that).   :)

The rest of the world, a low D/T  is less than 2/2, and means you get outta your car for a quick, and usually not too distant find... 

For example, we know few (us, and maybe a couple dozen others...) who thinks a 2.5 in terrain is low in terrain.

I've started at 2T the past coupla years now because the majority of cachers don't even go there (here).  Why is another thread...

I don't know what you're afraid of. Too much superfluous information?

This is now also possible on the cache page. It has nothing to do with the D/T rating.

Even with a D/T rating of 1/1, a lot of information can be given. such as historical information.

Look at https://coord.info/GC9GCVA

A Dutch text. And a very short english text to avoid too much information on the page.

Is splitting the cache page into two pages an option?

I just want to avoid having too much information on one page.

By dividing into two pages, only the relevant one is available on each page.

The information in the other language is not visible.

On 10/2/2021 at 4:15 PM, Contramine said:
Is this possible?

With access to an external web server you can extend the description as many pages as you want. Without this kind off access there is another way called anchors.

At the top of the page you can add a list of sub pages, but instead of using separate page for each topic, you put these topics consecutively and add an anchor at be beginning of the each section. Now the reader can select the desired topic and jump directly to the right section.

Here is an example of a cache description using anchors https://coord.info/GC8YG91

Edited by arisoft
  • Surprised 1
8 hours ago, Contramine said:

I don't know what you're afraid of. Too much superfluous information?

This is now also possible on the cache page. It has nothing to do with the D/T rating.

Even with a D/T rating of 1/1, a lot of information can be given. such as historical information.

Look at https://coord.info/GC9GCVA

A Dutch text. And a very short english text to avoid too much information on the page.

Is splitting the cache page into two pages an option?

I just want to avoid having too much information on one page.

By dividing into two pages, only the relevant one is available on each page.

The information in the other language is not visible.

Your responding to my response to another is odd. That's why it doesn't have anything to do with you.    :)

There's nothing about this hobby that makes me fearful, so you can knock that carp off...  Sheesh...

You're asking for a change to the cache page, to enlarge/add another page to description.  I'm simply saying I don't like the idea.

-  this forums is for feature discussions.  I'm (again...) simply saying I'd rather not thanks...   

It sounds like a good option for you, but we've seen hundreds of examples of unhelpful blather on low D/T cache pages.

At events,  people with phones have said that unhelpful blather is bothersome, especially when there's no hint along with it.

2 hours ago, arisoft said:

With access to an external web server you can extend the description as many pages as you want. Without this kind off access there is another way called anchors.

At the top of the page you can add a list of sub pages, but instead of using separate page for each topic, you put these topics consecutively and add an anchor at be beginning of the each section. Now the reader can select the desired topic and jump directly to the right section.

Here is an example of a cache description using anchors https://coord.info/GC8YG91

Yes, I know. This is indeed an option. Thx

On 10/4/2021 at 9:19 AM, cerberus1 said:

It sounds like a good option for you, but we've seen hundreds of examples of unhelpful blather on low D/T cache pages.

I have to admit, I'm not following your argument. If it's unhelpful blather, is it any worse if it unhelpful and well organized by language? In fact, the basic proposal is that you'd only have to deal with one language worth of unhelpful blather since the other translations would be somewhere else.

Having said that, even though I have no trouble with information in the cache page unrelated to finding the cache, I agree with you in that I'm also doubting the suggestion would be useful. I appreciate the problem and would be all for things to help COs trying to handle the multi-language problem, but it strikes me that somehow splitting the description up via links would either be too complicated to bother with, or so simple no one that could benefit would notice it.

It occurs to me that we'd talking about two different things: the information airsoft wants to have in order to help find the cache, and the information the OP wants to provide, let's call it "color commentary", that the cache is drawing attention to. To what extent is the problem here that both of them are combined into the one geocaching field?

• Funny 1