I have a situation and cant seem it find an answer

Scott104

I'll try and keep this short as possible. I'm looking for companies that I can speak with to help with the following.

Im looking for a small GPS transmitter/device (<25mm) that basically has a endless battery (or limited location requests until the battery dies).

For example, I can request a location 60times during its lifetime (say 10 years) before the device is dead and needs a new battery. I dont want to be able to recharge the device as the idea is to set/install the device and forget.

The challenge:

The GPS device has no network connection and can only communicate directly with satellites. How does one then request the location data from the device using an app/website?

The only way I can think of this happening is if the location data from the device is somehow sent to the satellites which then sends it to some sort of hub or centre that can then make it accessible via the internet.

PS my understanding of GPS isn't the greatest

• Funny 1
  • Love 1

What you want is not (currently) possible.

GPS location is a one way street. The GPS satelites only send a signal, they do not receive any. (Not really true, because the sateliets get information from the groundstations to correct their trajectory and clock)

Also sending information to a satelite requires a relatively large antenna, and a lot of power.

Another point is that you want to request a location; therefore the device has to listen on some frequency (bluetooth, GSM, satelite) to receive the request, and therefore needs power.

• Helpful 1