Geocache adopter changing d/t levels

Smitherington

8 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

Only an handful?

Relatively speaking, yes. Most geocachers don't worry about their "grid" at all.

8 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

Why Groundspeak added tools to help find caches required to complete your Fizzy then?

Maybe they enjoy poking hornets' nests? Maybe someone had a brain fart?

10 hours ago, mustakorppi said:

Well yeah, why not do exactly this for everything that the rules allow to be challenge criteria?

Or, just to play devil's advocate, Groundspeak could get rid of this exception to the basic guideline that physical geocaches "can be logged online as 'Found' after the geocacher has visited the coordinates and signed the logbook." After all, they got rid of other ALRs years ago.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, niraD said:

Or, just to play devil's advocate, Groundspeak could get rid of this exception to the basic guideline that physical geocaches "can be logged online as 'Found' after the geocacher has visited the coordinates and signed the logbook." After all, they got rid of other ALRs years ago.

Indeed, or get rid of everything except trads. I guess it's up to what's the plan for geocaching. Is the idea to improve it finding a clearer focus? To expand and explore new things? Try to perfect what it currently is? Just let it be until it's no longer profitable to keep the servers running?

On 10/20/2021 at 4:46 AM, niraD said:
On 10/20/2021 at 1:03 AM, Mausebiber said:

The whole discussion could be avoided if Groundspeak would make the D/T rating stick to the log entry.  If I log a specific rating it should stay, regardless if the listing is changed later on.

Fundamentally, difficulty and terrain ratings are communication tools, a way for the CO to communicate the general nature of the geocaching experience to potential seekers. They are not prizes that finders earn.

The ratings are for the CO to communicate to seekers, but they also convey information about each find to people reading the logs. As things are, one can only assume the ratings were as they are now for any given find log. Why not provide a way to avoid that inaccuracy when the ratings are changed?

If you don't think that feature would be worth the effort -- and I'm not sure I do -- that makes sense, but I don't think it makes sense to shoot it down because it's catering to people doing challenge caches. I think it's a slick solution to an existing ambiguity in the information communicated by each find log.

On 9/30/2021 at 9:37 AM, Max and 99 said:

2. There are some in my area, and I'm sure everywhere, who rate their caches for the SOLE purpose of helping others fill their D/T grid. Example: A skirt lifter cache is rated 5T so that others can fill a grid on a difficult square to find.

I am one of those less worthy types that can't get my head away from stats; i love them. About 1/3 of my geocaches are to help people fill their fizzy grid, though I try to make the difficulty and terrain truly up to expectations. I have a fair few tree climbing, cave crawling, rock climbing, rappelling, and mountaineering geocaches to justify the ratings, and my puzzles leave some stumped. I know that is far from what you're talking about with skirt lifters being rated 5T, but I had to confess to building geocaches with grid filling in mind.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1