What do you do with your old GPS unit

Pack36rats

I was wondering what people do with their old GPS when they purchase a new one.  I volunteer with a non-profit charitable organization, Cape Coral Friends of Wildlife.  We have a large population of burrowing owls and gopher tortoises( both protected species) in our city.  We take a waypoint for every burrow (thousands) and send the information to the city.  The Garmin units we have no long work, and the phone apps often are not as accurate as we would like. Would anyone be willing to donate their old GPS units?

13 hours ago, Pack36rats said:

I was wondering what people do with their old GPS when they purchase a new one.  I volunteer with a non-profit charitable organization, Cape Coral Friends of Wildlife.  We have a large population of burrowing owls and gopher tortoises( both protected species) in our city.  We take a waypoint for every burrow (thousands) and send the information to the city.  The Garmin units we have no long work, and the phone apps often are not as accurate as we would like. Would anyone be willing to donate their old GPS units?

Handheld GPS units and smartphones have the same accuracy these days.  Here's a discussion that was held recently on this topic in the forums.

I never heard of a gopher tortoise until I visited Melbourne Florida.  I loved this sign (near a cache I found).

cc9d9f08-c02a-4401-9975-e424f3c62bb5.jpg

When I purchased a new GPS, I still kept the old one. The old one still worked, except for a missing button. I can still get the old one working with a stick, or the arm of my sunglasses, by poking that in the hole of the missing button. It's a backup for my new GPS, especially in places where there is no phone signal. So far my new one has not broken down.

I occasionally use a phone, but I keep going back to the more user friendly GPS. The last time I was using my phone was for an AL cache. I wandered about in the bush and the AL program was being too slow to show the change in metres. I was wandering in an extended circle trying to find GZ. Finally I gave up, saw a feature near GZ on the AL map, so found that feature on the GPS's map and punched that spot in. Unlike the phone, the GPS directed me straight to GZ, with no more wandering about the bush. In the bush, I find the GPS better. The phone is okay in the city. Anyway, the bush often doesn't have a phone signal.

I don't need the phone's feature of being able to log while out, as I like to write good logs and I do that home on the computer. Logging in the field takes up caching time, and slows fellow cachers down. One of my caching 'buddies' often likes to log in the field, and either the rest of us stand about waiting for him, or we move on and he has to catch up.

I gave my first two GPSr units to my kids, when they left home.

I currently use a Garmin Montana, and an Oregon. I will be keeping both in use, as I use them for different purposes. One has GLONASS, the other does not. They seem to work differently in forests; once I had a 50 meter discrepancy between the two. (The Russians found that cache.) One has a large screen, easy to read in any situation. The other has a smaller screen. One has a charging cradle that I have hardwired into my vehicle, and allows me to view it while driving. The other requires plugging in a cable, and usually lays on the seat. One has a camera, the other doesn't. Both are way more rugged than my phone.

Similar to TeamRabitRun, I have run across families while geocaching. If they show interest, I will loan the kids one, or both, and let them go looking.

I also have a bluetooth GPS receiver that I used to play a very popular AR game on my iPod Touch. I haven't decided what to do with that one.

Mu first unit Etrex 20 developed a hole in the on/off button like described earlier. I made due similar to that mentioned option. I then found an Etrex 30 and use it.

I thought of using the older one as a cache container if I could find an appropriate place. I basically just removed the batteries and the chip and sealed around the rubber gasket . But in the process of lying around it kind of wore loose and I had trouble getting the case shut so tossed it. 

I think it would have made a surprise cache container. 

ich habe nur ein gps das ich in einer schrottmulde gefunden habe. es ist ein garmin das 2014 herausgegeben wurde. es hat einen nicht mehr so gut funktionierender bildschirm, kapputter akku und so weiter und so fort...

deshalb benutze ich immer das natel.

Edited by ccannet
  • Funny 1