Unknown Location

shejo

10 minutes ago, shejo said:

Our TB is lost. By "Recently spotted in:" is written "Unknown location".  Who has written these words? 

I mark mine as unknown location if I've lost it or the cache it was in was archived. Or it's been a while since it was placed in a geocache and people are saying it's not there. I'm not sure exactly who can mark it as unknown but my guess is this: TB owner, and owner of the cache the TB is listed in. I'm just not sure if anyone else can. 

Looking at your travel bug it appears that someone took it from the snowmageddon geocache and kept it and never moved it along. So it was reported as not in the cache, otherwise unknown location. Did you not see the log for that when it came in?

Edited by Max and 99
  • Funny 1
44 minutes ago, shejo said:

Our TB is lost. By "Recently spotted in:" is written "Unknown location".  Who has written these words? 

My guess would be the ownerof the cache where it was last reported to be logged it as missing from his/her cache.  (Oddly, that doesn't seem to be the case - the one who logged it as missing is NOT the CO of the cache where it was last dropped).  Don't despair - whoever has it may eventually log it into a cahe and it will be back in play.  It may turn up at an event somewhere...

• Funny 1

I didn't mark the TB as unknown location and the cache where it was last placed in still exists.

The last one who has discovered our TB has logged 87 other TB's on that same date, I can't find a found log from that geocacher between the logs of the cache our TB should be in, so this geocacher isn't very trustworthy in my opinion, because this geocacher is also the last discoverer of many other TB's. 

The last log is a write note, but a writer of such log cannot change the "Recently spotted in" comment.

I'm not happy that our TB is lost, but it is part of the game and who knows the TB comes unexpected back in the game some day.

I'm just curious who can change it to Unknown Location. 

• Surprised 1
1 hour ago, shejo said:

"Unknown location" means someone has marked it as missing and, as far as I know, the only ones who can do that are the TB's owner and the owner of the cache where it was meant to be. Someone just logging the TB can't mark it as missing. See this Help Centre page.

Edited by barefootjeff
2 hours ago, shejo said:

I didn't mark the TB as unknown location and the cache where it was last placed in still exists.

The last one who has discovered our TB has logged 87 other TB's on that same date, I can't find a found log from that geocacher between the logs of the cache our TB should be in, so this geocacher isn't very trustworthy in my opinion, because this geocacher is also the last discoverer of many other TB's. 

The last log is a write note, but a writer of such log cannot change the "Recently spotted in" comment.

I'm not happy that our TB is lost, but it is part of the game and who knows the TB comes unexpected back in the game some day.

Besides a cache owner and the TB owner, employees at HQ have the power to mark TBs missing, and I think Reviewers do as well.

If it’s done by a CO or TB owner, you would be sent a notice of the Mark Missing event.  But logs can be deleted after the fact.

4 hours ago, shejo said:

Here's an example of an email when a TB is marked missing:

This is an automated message. This Trackable has been marked 'missing' by a cache owner or site administrator. Trackables are marked missing when it is determined that they are no longer located in the cache they are listed in or in the hands of the current holder. Review the most recent logs on this Trackable to learn more information about its current state.

When a TB of mine is in a geocache that has been archived I get this message:

Greetings Max and 99,

A geocache containing the Virgo Tag 4 Strings has been archived.

The trackable item's last known location was the Traditional Cache You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!.

You may be able to determine more about the cache and your trackable item's status by reading the most recent logs on the cache page. If you cannot determine the current location of your trackable item, you can mark it 'missing' on its reference page.

15 hours ago, shejo said:

If there's no log that shows who marked it missing, you may ask HQ in the contact form.  They can see the history of an item, even when the logs were deleted.  Beware that when cachers delete important TB logs, they either don't know what they're doing or they're being deceptive.  Either way, that does not bode well for a lost TB.

I think your TB was automatically Marked Missing by the HQ 'bot. This does NOT generate a log, which looks to be the case here.

See the article in the Help Center 3.8 Missing Trackables  LINKY

• A trackable may automatically be moved to an Unknown Location if all three conditions are true:
  1. The trackable has been in the same geocache for more than one year.
  2. The trackable has not been logged in more than one year.
  3. There have been at least four finds on different days on the geocache in which the trackable is located.
  • Helpful 1

I noticed some strange things in the profile of lillemy_93.

lillemy_93

Membership type:Premium

Joined 11/01/2015Last Visited 23/09/2021

329 finds

56 hides

185 Favorite points

User's home location:N 58° 56.239' E 005° 35.243' (Norway)

Total Trackables Moved/Discovered 4891,

from which 1683 Travel Bug Dog Tags,

from which 147 logged on 3/10/2019 all with text "sett", these are also the last logs.

Note: many Travel Bug Dog Tage which are logged on 3/10/2019 were not in Norway on that date.. 

from which 58 are marked with Unknown Location,

Comparing Found caches 329 with Found Travel Bug Dog Tags 1683 my conclusion is at follows:  lillemy_93 is a Travel Bug Dog Tag Eater.

Despite above mentioned facts I still wonder who marked our TB with Unknown Location. I have not received any mail or other kind of anouncement about that.

Edited by shejo
31 minutes ago, Isonzo Karst said:

I think your TB was automatically Marked Missing by the HQ 'bot. This does NOT generate a log, which looks to be the case here.

See the article in the Help Center 3.8 Missing Trackables  LINKY

• A trackable may automatically be moved to an Unknown Location if all three conditions are true:
  1. The trackable has been in the same geocache for more than one year.
  2. The trackable has not been logged in more than one year.
  3. There have been at least four finds on different days on the geocache in which the trackable is located.

That's happened to a couple of my TBs, but the info is clearly shown on the TB page when the Mark Missing event occurs (and there's an email notice).  That log can then be deleted by the TO, but it's there until that happens (and the Action remains, of course).  I would prefer such action be left up to me as the Owner, or to the CO if it's annoying to the CO.  Otherwise, IMO, HQ needs to buzz off until this text is required to be placed in large bold red letters wherever TBs are sold:

"If your TB is in a cache and someone mis-handles it and the TB Owner and Cache Owner allow the logs to stand, The Company will hide evidence that the TB was there."  <- People are surprised to learn this.  Others use this as a kind of loop-hole to keep a coveted TB forever.  Yes, I know TBs are stolen, but HQ as an accomplice is too much.

Edited by kunarion
On 9/28/2021 at 6:52 PM, shejo said:

It's simply how the "system" writes it in your trackable's page.  

Every single trackable that we marked "missing" shows "unknown location" to the left of the trackable's page.

I think it's similar to the "Visit" Log that says "took it to" instead on trackable pages, or "Dropped" logs that say Placed..

17 hours ago, kunarion said:

That's happened to a couple of my TBs, but the info is clearly shown on the TB page when the Mark Missing event occurs (and there's an email notice).

You may well have had trackables marked missing by cache owners, reviewers or admins, but when the "bot marks missing there is no log, no email notice. Really.

Nor has this has anything to do with stealing trackables.   If someone takes it, they have it. The logged status is irrelevant.  

Trackable owner can mark missing to get a trackable out of the cycle of endless "visit" logs. They can grab back,  and they can lock.  But physically, when it's gone it's gone.

1 hour ago, Isonzo Karst said:

but when the "bot marks missing there is no log, no email notice. Really.

Is there at least some record of that occurence?  If not, no wonder it's so confusing.

1 hour ago, Isonzo Karst said:

Nor has this has anything to do with stealing trackables.   If someone takes it, they have it. The logged status is irrelevant.  

Trackable owner can mark missing to get a trackable out of the cycle of endless "visit" logs. They can grab back,  and they can lock.  But physically, when it's gone it's gone.

Just a pet peeve of mine.  I know it's a business plan.  But it's a lousy one.

21 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

You may well have had trackables marked missing by cache owners, reviewers or admins, but when the "bot marks missing there is no log, no email notice. Really.

Amazing! :mad: Has this bug ever been reported?

Or is anybody of the opinion this is not a bug?

• Funny 1