Coordinates for Bonus caches

Gill & Tony

There is a web site, which I won't name here - but I expect everyone knows about it anyway, which allows the user to download the journal entries for an adventure.  This, under normal conditions, gives away the information needed to find the bonus.

My next adventure will have all answers as words and the first letter of each answer will be used in the formula.  That way the only way to find the bonus will be to answer the questions.

7 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

There is a web site, which I won't name here - but I expect everyone knows about it anyway, which allows the user to download the journal entries for an adventure.  This, under normal conditions, gives away the information needed to find the bonus.

My next adventure will have all answers as words and the first letter of each answer will be used in the formula.  That way the only way to find the bonus will be to answer the questions.

Can you explain in more detail? I'm really interested in what you have to say! What are they getting in the journals that helps them solve the bonus? And how is words fixing this problem? Thanks!

The journal for the last entry for sequential labs usually contains  something like "Congratulations! Now find the bonus at N12 34.567 E 123 45.678"

For non-sequential adventures, each Journal contains part of the answer (A=5) etc.

My solution is to put nothing relating to the bonus in the journals.   The information to find the bonus is in the answers to the Questions.  The questions can be downloaded, but not the answers

Stage 1 Question:  What is the surname of the Mayor?  Answer: Smith  So Stage 1 clue is the letter "S"

Stage 2 Question:  How many steps in the ladder (the number)  Answer: 8.  Stage 2 clue is "8"

Now the bonus cache will have "To find the cache Convert the first letter of each word answer to its numeric equivalent (A=1, B=2 .... Z=26) and use any numeric answers as is."

The cache can be found at N12 34.(s1-15)(s2)(s3) E123 45.(s1- 17)(s4+1)(s5)

I've just realised that I don't need to have all word answers, numbers can be used as is.

Edited by Gill & Tony
3 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

My solution is to put nothing relating to the bonus in the journals.   The information to find the bonus is in the answers to the Questions

Stage 1 Question:  What is the surname of the Mayor?  Answer: Smith  So Stage 1 clue is the letter "S"

Stage 2 Question:  How many steps in the ladder (the number)  Answer: 8.  Stage 2 clue is "8"

Now the bonus cache will have "To find the cache Convert the first letter of each word answer to its numeric equivalent (A=1, B=2 .... Z=26) and use any numeric answers as is."

The trouble with that is you can't view the questions or your answers after you've completed the Adventure, so if you weren't careful to note down what your answers were at the time you were doing it, you're stuck.

• Helpful 1
5 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

The journal for the last entry for sequential labs usually contains  something like "Congratulations! Now find the bonus at N12 34.567 E 123 45.678"

For non-sequential adventures, each Journal contains part of the answer (A=5) etc.

My solution is to put nothing relating to the bonus in the journals.   The information to find the bonus is in the answers to the Questions

Ok. Thanks. What I'm reading is that a completely depends on what you put in your journals and what you put on the bonus cache page. 

6 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

The trouble with that is you can't view the questions or your answers after you've completed the Adventure, so if you weren't careful to note down what your answers were at the time you were doing it, you're stuck.

As I said before in a different forum thread that's happened to me. Fortunately they were really close together and I was able to run back to a couple to confirm what the correct answer was so I could enter it in the checker to get the bonus coordinates.

Edited by Max and 99
10 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

Darn!  You are right - now I'll have to think of something else.

Can't you add the text, "write down the answers for later"?  At least for a driving AL I hunted, I had 4 Apps open and lots of notes.  I definitely had all answers at hand.  But since I hate all that paperwork, if I made an AL, it would not require any of that.  The value of an AL is it's all in one App, requires no prep and no note pad, just visit each stage and *ding*, you earned that stage.  If there's work in excess of the one App, it might as well be a Multi cache instead.

But setting it up so that people need to solve the AL in order to hunt the "Bonus" is fine with me.  The AL software should have been set up that way from the start:  the App calculating the Final text, based on the answers.  Built into the software.

Edited by kunarion
Hit the wrong letter on the keyboard because the earth is not quite round.
  • Helpful 1
18 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

Darn!  You are right - now I'll have to think of something else.

I have played AL, where the bonus info at each stage was the answer to a second question, which you get in the journal, and which also can only be answered on location.

This way, if you forgot the bonus info, you can always go back to the location, and answer the question from the journal again. Similar to what you can do in a series of traditionals + bonus: If you forget to note down the bonus info from one trad, you can always go back and retrieve it.

• Helpful 1
19 minutes ago, baer2006 said:

I have played AL, where the bonus info at each stage was the answer to a second question, which you get in the journal, and which also can only be answered on location.

This way, if you forgot the bonus info, you can always go back to the location, and answer the question from the journal again. Similar to what you can do in a series of traditionals + bonus: If you forget to note down the bonus info from one trad, you can always go back and retrieve it.

That's an interesting concept. 

54 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

If you feel comfortable, can you send me a screenshot of one of the AL journals so I can see how that page is set up? Thanks. 

No need for a screenshot.

After they answer the question for stage 1 correctly, the journal says something like "Congratulations!  Don't forget to record the first digit of the answer.  S1="

Obviously, the actual instruction differes from stage to stage, but there's nothing in the journals except the reminder.

I've seen as well in one AL in the journal instructions to get the values for the bonus coordinates somewhere there as well, as a kind of second question. I think that's along this lines.

I had in my AL-Bonus an FTF, that never did the AL, I didn't put him as FTF in the Top-3-List and persuaded him to change his log to let the real FTF get the honours.

• Surprised 2