Can Geocaching Become Too Popular?

Durango!

I've been looking at some "heavily cached" urban areas on the cache maps. Some areas have 20 different caches within 500 feet of a freeway. Is this really what geocaching is all about? (Remember location, location, location?) Is it possible that there will one day be too many caches? Is this a fad that will die out with many people, leaving thousands of caches scattered like so much litter? I hope not, but your thoughts? icon_eek.gif

perhaps part of the reason for too many caches is the excitement of the game. wanting to be the person to hide the next cache is natural, just like hide and seek or tag when you were a kid. however, i don't think everybody has what it takes to hide a cache, and this shows up with the simple, 500 feet off the highway caches you're talking about. (of course, not all of the ones near the highway are bad, take the coastal limerick in davenport CA... gorgeous, but that's beside the point) perhaps with memberships, member only caches, caches that are right off the road and make you wonder what the point is, and other things will lead to restructuring the game with a bit more of a heirarchy as to who fits in where... or maybe that's what it needs. as it stands now though, i think people should get experience before placing a cache, as well as be discerning when about the location when doing so.

Once again, to each his/her own. There might be a variety of reasons for urban caches.

In a "city" the size of Los Angeles you might have to go 20 miles in order to find a place that is NOT urban.

Even the natural areas in the mountains that surround the city you are still up against an urban/wild interface area so a cache location that might look like it is in the middle of neighborhood can actually be quite wild.

I have one virtual cash that is right next to the 405 freeway, but it is in a Wildlife Reserve that is part of the Sepulveda Flood Basin. It is quite an urban location but the park itself is an oasis in the middle of the city.

Not everyone has the ability to drive significant distances to a wild cache. I recommend that they do get out of the city, but I can understand why they like urban caches.

We did one recently down in Orange County near my mother-in-laws as a time filler between family committments. It is in a nice park, fairly urban but with a nice playground, etc. Joe (Age 4) had a good time finding the cache and then spending time in the park.

Urban caches are also easier to maintain, if more easily plundered. Placing a cache in a wild area that is a 1 hour drive and then a 1 hour hike in requires a big committment if you plan to maintain it adequately.

I try to get out of the city because I need to get out of the city, but if there is an interesting urban cache nearby, I bag it.

The hunt is the point for me.

I make computing clear!

quote:
Originally posted by Durango:

I've been looking at some "heavily cached" urban areas on the cache maps. Some areas have 20 different caches within 500 feet of a freeway. Is this really what geocaching is all about? (Remember location, location, location?) Is it possible that there will one day be too many caches? Is this a fad that will die out with many people, leaving thousands of caches scattered like so much litter? I hope not, but your thoughts? icon_eek.gif

I think your concern is valid. I think most responsible geocachers will agree that when you place a cache, it becomes a bit like a child. It is your responsibility. This is why I have placed only about 8-9 caches. This is really the amount right now that I can afford to maintain reasonably. During the summer I might be able to handle a few more. I have only placed one cache out of the area, and I asked a local geocacher to adopt it for me. He agreed, and I feel safe in knowing that the cache will never turn to trash in Hawaii. I think if you decided not to cache anymore, or if it just sort of dies out of your life, it is YOUR responsibility to find an adoptive parent or pick it up and archive it. Yes, I am sure there are going to be a few people that neglect to retrieve them. If you find a cache in bad shape, or seems to be abandoned, then we must take the responsibility to email the owner. If there is no response, you could email Jeremy and get permission to pick it up and have him archive it. As far as the urban caches go, I am not a great lover of looking for them unless there is a specific challenge that goes along with it. I have done a few, and really enjoyed them (William Tell) for one. But, as long as they are cared for and maintained....well I say "whatever floats your boat". I am not a great supporter of placing a certain amount of caches for how many you have found. I think it promotes cache dumping. Place with care and maintain your caches carefully!!!

quote:
Originally posted by james f weisbeck kd7mxi terra utah:

why place them in the middle of towns and cities?

use the land or lose it to developers forever

----------------------------------------------

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CacheAcrossAmerica

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?u=KD7MXI

http://www.cachunuts.com

It's not necessarily about the wilderness, It's about the HUNT. I can hunt in the city or in the country, or in the woods. You just have to be more creative to hide something in plain site.

george

I agree it's about the hunt and not where it's at. We equaly enjoy both city and county hunts. We can get out after a stressful day and do a few in local county park (go check any of Otis Pug's caches)and on weekends get out and check out the local mountain range or desert. I do think we do need to "self" police and if a caches is in bad shape and the owner is not caring for it, ask if you can remove it. icon_razz.gif