Advice on placing a cache

lucindasymmonds

HI

I am looking to place a traditional nano cache at a war memorial to a bomb disposal dog.  the problem is it is only 62m from another cache.  i have permission from the town council to place this, and i really want to do it.  is there a way of getting special permission from GHQ to place this cache so close to another?  or is there a different type of cache that i can place there?

all help and advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Lucinda

2 hours ago, lucindasymmonds said:

HI

I am looking to place a traditional nano cache at a war memorial to a bomb disposal dog.  the problem is it is only 62m from another cache.  i have permission from the town council to place this, and i really want to do it.  is there a way of getting special permission from GHQ to place this cache so close to another?  or is there a different type of cache that i can place there?

thanks!

Lucinda

You could make the dog a virtual waypoint for a multicache. 

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
4 hours ago, lucindasymmonds said:

I am looking to place a traditional nano cache at a war memorial to a bomb disposal dog.  the problem is it is only 62m from another cache. 

i have permission from the town council to place this, and i really want to do it.  is there a way of getting special permission from GHQ to place this cache so close to another?  or is there a different type of cache that i can place there?

Not there...   Agree with Max and 99, make it a stage in a multicache.     :)   

Put the cache 203 feet away on a watchlist in case it eventually gets archived, opening up your spot.  

The original reason you had for that particular spot is shared with at least a final stage.  Or work the theme throughout.

I haven't done a multi with a nano at the end yet.  If I had warning, and the area wasn't all that special to me, I'd probably skip it.

• Helpful 1

A "Multi" can literally be a single waypoint with the actual cache hidden very close by, so you could hide the cache somewhere within sight of the dog memorial, as long as it's hidden enough to avoid muggles.  You could have a key word from the memorial that they have to put into a geo checker to be given the final coords, or calculate them based on numbers found there, or even just tell them "stand at the sign, then walk ~80 steps due south" to find the cache.  Lots of ways you can do this, and no minimum or maximum to qualify as a multi.  In fact, you might enjoy SOME multis, if you actually read the descriptions to see what you're in for.  Some are like I describe, some involve multiple steps and lots of walking/hiking, but GOOD cache owners should let finders know the time/distance commitment they're in for...

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Shawna426 said:

You could have a key word from the memorial that they have to put into a geo checker to be given the final coords

I have seen multi-caches using checker as a required part of the cache but I have also seen a reviewer not to accept a such idea of using a checker as a part of the solution. Is this a common way to build a multi-cache?

51 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

I've done a few where the coords were identical.  The coords lead you to an ammo can.  Same coords listed in the lid.  Something in the ammo can is the second stage.

Agreed. We have several of those in my area. But how close does the final have to be to be considered at the same waypoint? 15 ft? 20 ft? 30 ft?

"Nearby"?

Edited by Max and 99

I have seen multi-caches using checker as a required part of the cache but I have also seen a reviewer not to accept a such idea of using a checker as a part of the solution. Is this a common way to build a multi-cache?

I wouldn't say COMMON, but I have seen it in a mystery for sure, not sure about multi.  Some puzzle caches I did recently required you to complete an online jigsaw puzzle, which would provide you with a keyword once completed, then you entered the keyword into the geochecker on the cache page, and it gave you the real coords.  Multiple steps, but all online (and I did them at my PC--not sure how doable they were on a phone or tablet).  These were mystery caches, though, not multi.  You're right that some reviewers might have a problem with using a geochecker while AT the site, though I don't see how it's much different than having people use a certain website or other feature available online or via the GC app...

On 9/29/2021 at 1:30 AM, Shawna426 said:

You could have a key word from the memorial that they have to put into a geo checker to be given the final coords,

Please no. Those of us using GPSs would be unable to do them in the field. Also tourists who can't use data while travelling.

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 3
21 hours ago, arisoft said:

I have never seen that, and as a GPS user, I couldn't use this in the field, I would likely not do it.

• Helpful 1
33 minutes ago, Shawna426 said:

I wouldn't say COMMON, but I have seen it in a mystery for sure, not sure about multi.  Some puzzle caches I did recently required you to complete an online jigsaw puzzle, which would provide you with a keyword once completed, then you entered the keyword into the geochecker on the cache page, and it gave you the real coords.  Multiple steps, but all online (and I did them at my PC--not sure how doable they were on a phone or tablet).  These were mystery caches, though, not multi.  You're right that some reviewers might have a problem with using a geochecker while AT the site, though I don't see how it's much different than having people use a certain website or other feature available online or via the GC app...

Puzzles that require a jig saw or similar to be done to get the final coordinates are fine, as they are usually solved at home, before going out. Multicaches are solved in the field and requiring someone to do research, or use a checker is a bad idea. A checker is okay just to check the final coordinates, but not to get them, as some people use a GPS, and also tourists might not have access to data on their phone. When travelling overseas, I have been able to use my phone for phone calls and text, but that's all, as I don't have a local plan. If a code or something needs to be added to get the final coordinates, that eliminates some people from being able to it. If something is required online, make it a puzzle that can be researched from home, before going to find the cache.

On 9/23/2021 at 2:46 PM, lucindasymmonds said:

the problem is it is only 62m from another cache.

Does the other cache show anything at that location or is it just a simple hide that could be anywhere? If it's from the last kind you might ask the owner if he's willing to move the cache to another free location. We have plenty of caches here that do not show anything and could me moved without losing anything so in this case the owner might be willing to find a new place. If so buy him a beer (or a coke) at the next event. :-)

Jochen

• Upvote 1
On 9/29/2021 at 9:54 PM, frostengel said:

Does the other cache show anything at that location or is it just a simple hide that could be anywhere? If it's from the last kind you might ask the owner if he's willing to move the cache to another free location. We have plenty of caches here that do not show anything and could me moved without losing anything so in this case the owner might be willing to find a new place. If so buy him a beer (or a coke) at the next event. :-)

Jochen

That did cross my mind, but the in situ cache is in a community garden which is behind three war memorials in the town.  as such I very much doubt they'd be willing to move it.

i think the best chance i have is to have the Dog Memorial as the start point, with something from the memorial to put in to the app to then get the final coordinates.  i now just have to work out how the feck to do it :blink:

8 hours ago, lucindasymmonds said:

is in a community garden which is behind three war memorials in the town

Three memorials? Perfect! Why do you want to show just one of the war memorials if you can show all of them? That sounds like a really nice multi cache with some stages with question to answer. The other cache does not disturb your multi as long as your stages are virtual. And I am sure there are plenty of interesting questions about these memorials.

Jochen

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, frostengel said:

Three memorials? Perfect! Why do you want to show just one of the war memorials if you can show all of them? That sounds like a really nice multi cache with some stages with question to answer. The other cache does not disturb your multi as long as your stages are virtual. And I am sure there are plenty of interesting questions about these memorials.

Jochen

Yes, sounds like a great place for a multi.

47 minutes ago, frostengel said:

That sounds like a really nice multi cache...

+1

12 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Yes, sounds like a great place for a multi.

+1

On 9/28/2021 at 5:08 PM, lucindasymmonds said:

I detest multi's; I just don't have the patience for them 

If you create the cache not only for yourself, but also for others, this could be the solution ;)

Greetings Johannis10

On 9/28/2021 at 3:10 PM, arisoft said:

Is this a common way to build a multi-cache?

Nope.  Uncommon but it has been done.

On 9/29/2021 at 12:33 PM, Goldenwattle said:

If a code or something needs to be added to get the final coordinates, that eliminates some people from being able to it. If something is required online, make it a puzzle that can be researched from home, before going to find the cache.

People who don't have the AL app can't do ALs.  People who don't have a Wherigo player can't do Wherigos.  People who don't have access to boats/kayaks can't do paddle caches.  People who aren't SCUBA certified can't do scuba caches.  People who don't have the physical ability to climb trees can't do tree climb caches.  Cachers in wheelchairs can't do a large part of the caches listed on the site.

Since when should a cache preclude "eliminating" someone from being able to do it?  If we're truly going for the egalitarian "Everyone should be able to do it", then every cache that's not a 1 T cache, every cache that requires the use of some other app or program to complete, or every cache that requires specialized knowledge or equipment should be archived.  I realize that's going a bit to the extreme and not going to happen but a large majority of caches eliminate some people from doing them (1.5 T or higher eliminates most wheelchair cachers). While it would certainly be nice if most everyone should be able to do it, it's not a requirement for a cache to be published.

While I don't like the idea of using a "keyword" for a multi, there's nothing saying that they can't do it that way, unless a reviewer tells them otherwise.  

On 9/28/2021 at 11:08 AM, lucindasymmonds said:

thank you all for the advice.  I'll give it a think as personally I detest multi's; I just don't have the patience for them :rolleyes:

I'll sit with the town map for now as something else has popped up that i may be able to link in.  how many waypoints would you all suggest is quick enough, but not too little?

That did cross my mind, but the in situ cache is in a community garden which is behind three war memorials in the town.  as such I very much doubt they'd be willing to move it.

i think the best chance i have is to have the Dog Memorial as the start point, with something from the memorial to put in to the app to then get the final coordinates.  i now just have to work out how the feck to do it 

What are your "goals" when creating this cache?  Is it to draw attention to the specific memorial?  All 3 memorials?  What type of plaques or dates/years or signage is there?

Since you dislike multis due to not having the patience, I suggest a simple 2 stage multi that uses information from the memorial to direct you to the final location.  Use an information sign, numbers on the memorial, count items ON the memorial.  You can do a letter/number combination where A=1, B=2, C=3, etc...and specify which letters you want them to use.  How many legs does the dog have showing in this sculpture?  If the answer is 4, then the final coordinates are N 40 00.000 W 086 00.000 (close to my home degrees).  If the answer is 3, then the final coordinates are N 40 01.000 W 086 01.000.  How many letters are there in the title of the sculpture?  Who is the artist?  There are so many ways to get a cacher to examine the sculpture to arrive at an answer that will get them to the final.

The most common type is probably a "find a number and insert into a formula" multi.  N 40 AB.CDE W 086 FG.HIJ or some variation.  You can make it as simple as needing only one number from the memorial (N 40 0A.123 W 086 00.123) to all of them (N AB CD.EFG W HIJ KL.MNO).  You can make it as easy or as difficult as you'd like and you can do something like what has been mentioned in the preceding paragraph. 

Keep in mind, there are a variety of ways to create it and it's up to you as to how you'd like to do it, even if it is the use of a keyword for a geochecker that provides you with the final coordinates.  I'd discourage that but if it's what you want, the only one that can stop you would be your local reviewer.  If that's the route you go, I'd run it past your local reviewer first.

If there's online information, then you could also create an unknown cache that uses information they can find online.  The drawback to this is that there's a strong chance solvers won't actually visit the memorial, if that's your main motivation for creating this cache.

22 minutes ago, coachstahly said:

While it would certainly be nice if most everyone should be able to do it, it's not a requirement for a cache to be published.

Well if the CO doesn't want some people to be able to do the multi, and international travellers who likely don't have data, go for it. It will reduce the finds. It might depend on how many others can find it. If it's in an area it with hardly any cachers for instance, after the first local people find it, it might sit here unfound for a long time, but so be it.