Any advice for Cacher moving to Arizona???

Sphenoid

icon_rolleyes.gif

Greetings All! This Pennsylvanian is soon moving to AZ and would love any advice on AZ caching, pitfalls, good Phoenix-area caches, or any planned get-togethers/event caches. I just zipped through the Desert Geocaching Clothing forum topic and got great advice of: there are no cactus-impenetrable pants, that duct tape, leatherman tools, needlenose pliers, and combs are good for impaled-with-a-cactus problems, and now I would love any additional suggestions. Yes, I am definitely a "green" desert cacher, but otherwise have done a bunch in the green northeast over the past year. Suggestions appreciated!! icon_confused.gif

"The hint says WHAT??"

Relocating to Arizona in July? Are you nuts???

Just kidding. How to cache in Arizona depends on where you are. We have the Sonoran desert, other deserts and the pine forsts of the Mogollon Rim. If you are moving to the Phoenix, be prepared for heat. Don't be fooled by that dry heat crap, it's HOT! Our monsoon season starts the first week in July. That means humidity (and heat) and afternoon thunderstorms. And what storms they are. Violent, intense storms. Tornadoes are rare and weak but we have microbursts. One hit our neighborhood last year and brought a couple of miles of power poles down on people's homes. As far as unpleasant critters...Rattlesnakes, scorpions, black widow spiders, Arizona brown spider (AKA brown recluse).

That said, the geocaching community is a fairly close one. There is a website, azgeocaching.com with a listserv. I suggest you get on that to get to know your local cachers. Chances are good you'll run into geocachers, we do quite frequently.

If you are geocaching out in the back country, never ever go without telling someone where you are and when you will return. People can get into trouble quickly, and in this heat, it can turn deadly. Take plenty of water. Bring a signal mirror (or shiny CD) to signal rescue helicopters. The heat is deceptive, be careful.

Phoenix area microcaches are sneaky. We are a devious bunch. If you are interested in good ones, e-mail me privately and let me know what your interests are in geocaching. Or ask the listsesrv and get everyone's opinions.

Welcome to Arizona.

That moss-covered bucket I hailed as a treasure,

For often at noon, when I returned from the field,

I found it the source of an exquisite pleasure.

Samuel Woodworth The Old Oaken Bucket

It could be worse, you could be trying to move to Arizona!

Oh, wait...you are...hmmm...

Get used to wearing shorts, even in January.

Learn to drink LOTS of water. You've heard of that 8 8oz glasses a day? In Arizona that's per hour icon_wink.gif

It's not quite as hot here in New Mexico (up to 30 degrees cooler in July), but hot weather lessons apply here as well.

bandbass.gif

Oh yeah, I forgot. Get used to summer electric bills of about $150-200. Learn to be grateful for the shade of light poles. When you go into the grocery store, head immediately for the frozen food section to cool down. Migrate with the rest of the valley north every weekend to the cool pines of Northern Arizona (cool is 90*) Get a sunshade for your vehicle and learn to drive without burning your hands on the steering wheel or seatbelt buckle. SBF 45 (sunscreen) is a way of life out here.

That said, there are also special things about desert life. The cactus wren. Cactus flowers. The smell of the desert after a rain. Our monsoon. The giant walls of dust found only one other place in the world. The spring profusion of wildflowers. Desert plants. Hummingbirds.

After awhile, even the heat begins to feel good.

we use to live in the desert. I have to agree with everything. If you have a lawn get ready to mowing it at midnight. In August there is what we call monsoons rain in the afternoon. And dont think you can lay out and "Work" on your tan, cuz the sun will burn your skin right off ya. And if you have dogs, look into buy them booties. Oh has anyone told ya to drink alot of water icon_razz.gif

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Ben Franklin (1706-1790)

usa.gif

icon_smile.gif Welcome to caching in Hell....Now is the time of year you go and cache at 5am when it is only 80 outside. If you are going to be in the Phoenix area that is the best time to go. Up north you can go pretty much when the mood strikes ya. I would suggest when you go out make a lot of noise when you hike so you don't surprise any rattlesnakes. I've found that a good investment is one of those hydration packs. And if ya buy one get one that holds as much water as possible, trust me, you'll need it. icon_biggrin.gif There are a lot of places to cache and some pretty good vitual caches you can hit in the daytime to learn about this place and the history. And just enjoy it. Here's to not seeing a news story on TV about them having to come chopper you out of the mountians...

Or setting the forest on fire like that one idiot did! (See Rodeo-Chediski fire of last year. The so-called person who started the Rodeo part of the fire got lost and thought it was a good idea to start a signal fire...words cannot describe what an idiot she was!)

But we know a geocacher is an environmentalist of sorts and is smart enough not to do that.

Arizona is a great place for geocaching. You can do the deserts in the winter and the northland all summer long. The average high in Flagstaff is 80 degrees in the summer...30 degrees cooler than Phoenix and only 2 hours away. That's 80 with no humidity and no bugs it's great.

You still need that SPF 45, the sun is more intense at higher elevations, and of course a gallon of water a day. Have fun!!!

Official temperature today 109*. Tomorrow is expected to be 110* which means it will probably be 112*.

New word: estivation. It is hibernation except for the summer. It means to rest/sleep/limit activity during the heat of summer.

No place is perfect. You got bad winters in some parts of the country, we got our hellish summers. You'll adjust.

icon_biggrin.gif Sunscreen, and water, and portable AC ... anyone know where I can buy a strap on air conditioner? icon_razz.gif You all sound like a great bunch out there. I am enjoying the sense of humor. And looking forward to meeting some new cachers in about a month. Hopefully some event or event cache in the futute?? Advice (however funny you make it) still appreciated...

Sphenoid

"The hint says WHAT??"

One cacher set or tied a record for most caches in a day in 111* heat last week. Today we went out to get a cache at 5 pm when it was 107*.

You'll complain about the heat, but it won't stop you from caching.

Welcome here. When the rain comes, it can come down hard and conceivably wash a cache away, depending on where it is. We haven't had one yet this year, but wait until you see the *haboob*, the wall of dust that rises several hundred feet into the air and travels a fair distance. Visibility slips to zero at times.

Important things to know about caching here. Never stick your hand where you can't see. We have nasty spiders and scorpions out here. Drink fluids. The heat will kill you so be careful. I see you are out on the west side of town. When the weather is nicer, try some of Panda77's caches. We got a kick out of some of his containers. Puz-zel's are also supposed to be good although we haven't yet tried for them.

Please join us at the listserv on azgeocaching.com.